collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First rehair/few questions. :D (+ First dye job! O:)  (Read 715 times)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: First rehair/few questions. :D (+ First dye job! O:)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 07:44:21 AM »
She is adorable.  As far as painting goes, everyone makes mistakes at first.  Practice practice practice...  :)
:socks:   :frog:

hamsteh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »
; _ ; You guys are so kind, thankyou! ^^;
So I decided to stick a plug of hair in to see if the dye would seep into it, and I've only just remembered that it's polypropylene hair anyways. Duh. :x
So at some point, I'll stick a thin dab of white paint onto an eye and see if the dye bleeds. xD
I'm still worried about it fading, and I can't tell if it has or not. The body is definitely still the perfect shade though, the head seems a bit blueish but I think it was most likely that way after dying anyway, they were never quite the same.

Anyone got a way to tell if the colour has changed? At least I have pictures from the same dye job, I suppose I could try to replicate the lighting and camera settings used in the first pics...  :blink:

Maybe I should take the body into some hardware store and ask them to replicate the colour of the body for me so I can paint the head in the exact shade! XD Surely a decapitated pony wouldn't get too many strange looks..? :biggrin:

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
Now that is a cool idea.  That would be a lot of grey paint.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Ligress

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart! (art is not updated but I am active to respond there!)
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
I think she is a cutie!
~ Have facebook? Selling or buying a custom pony, vintage toys  or pony extras?~
* MLP Extras for sale **http://www.facebook.com/groups/CUSTOMPONIES Vintage Toys BUY SELL TRADE *
Avatar Icon by L Correia My Ponysona Ligress

hamsteh

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »
Thankyou, Ligress! :)

If anyone is wondering how this is going, I decided to stick a thin layer of white paint on an eye, left it a few days and it seemed to be fine so I've got her pretty much finished, just need to reassemble! :D

Sneak preview of her as she is:
xD
Also one of the strangest pony pictures you'll find...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm pretty happy with the eyes, the camera shows up every flaw though, even ones I hadn't even noticed! xD The only eyes I've painted once before were over existing eyes, which I prefer for the guidelines... I'm not sure I could keep them even if I tried from scratch, but maybe eventually. xD

Offline Ren-Ren

• Trade Count: (+237)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://renren-1.livejournal.com/
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
I LOVE Watermelon Sorbet! Saw her pic in your avatar and had to track down the original post, heh.
Thanks to Calico Star for my siggy! <3 (deleted cause photobucket)
*** My Sales Page*** My Little Pink Pony Loves MMA***

hamsteh

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 03:27:26 AM »
I LOVE Watermelon Sorbet! Saw her pic in your avatar and had to track down the original post, heh.

Aww, thanks! That's so sweet of you. :D

The colours were actually a complete fluke, she was my first rehair and I'd bought a bunch of random hair picked out by the seller for me, as well as the rehairing kit and stuff... She was giving up customising ponies which is a shame. ; _ ; I asked her to pick some hair out for me, to start me off.. She was also selling a lot so it was hard to tell what was left, so it was easiest. xD
I'd only decided that I wanted three colours in her hair and the first was to match her eyes.

(It's funny, cause she actually matches an animeish style human I drew when I was practicing with my first Promarkers. xD But I'd completely forgotten about the drawing when I started rooting Watermelon.)

Offline babyprincess_sparkle

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/mylittleponycustoms
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
:heart: LUV this pony! So pretty & her color combo is perfect :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 http://www.facebook.com/mylittleponycustomsvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

Watermelon

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
I definitely approve of Watermelon Sorbet!
I'm really enjoying reading about your experiences and everyones advice, I think it's a great help to people like me who are new to the whole custom experience. :)

reyl

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »
Nice work! You're off to a great start. I have dyed some ponies... For the subtle dye you've done, I'm not sure if fading will be such an issue... But dyed ponies definitely fade. Black is the worst. I dyed a G3 and a G4 black several months ago. The G3 is a weird mottled black-red now, and the G4 had tinges of red. It also took a while for the dye to settle long enough to paint on it. I painted eye white on to test a month after and the dye was still coming through. It's been well over three months now and the dye doesn't bleed anymore. I solved the colour fade problem by doing a light coat of black over top of the dye. It looks good, but I don't know how it'll hold up in the future.

As cool as the dye looks at first, I think that full-body repaints are my preferred method. Longer lasting and more flexible. I don't have an airbrush, but I get decent results with multiple watered down layers of paint.

Keep on creating!

Offline TwistedRainbow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Rainbow Customs
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
she is really cute, i love her hair, you did a good job

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal