collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First rehair/few questions. :D (+ First dye job! O:)  (Read 724 times)

hamsteh

• Trade Count: (0)
First rehair/few questions. :D (+ First dye job! O:)
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:30:03 AM »
Not sure whether to really call her a custom or anything, cause I only really rehaired her and painted her cutie mark. xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Watermelon Sorbet by Hamsteh, on Flickr
She only got her name after I finished her, when I realised her hair was watermelon colours. xD Quite happy with her for a first attempt, though. :D
Didn't wanna do anything too difficult though since I'd never tried to customise a pony at all before, but I think she turned out quite nicely. :)

Watermelon got a haircut! xD by Hamsteh, on Flickr

Since then, I've done the seeds on her watermelon cutie mark but haven't taken a decent picture. ^^;

Quick question ~
I have some pearl grey Rit Dye coming in the post, we do have an airbrush but I don't want to get into completely repainting bodies... I think I'd probably just make a mess of it. xD Plus any (inevitable) mistakes in the eyes/cutie marks would show up quite badly if I tried to correct them. xD;

Anyways, I'm gonna attempt to dye a G4  Rainbow Dash slightly grey, for a blue/grey colour...  I'm sure you can guess who I wanna make. xD Anyone think that might not work? I've never dyed anything before, but I'm sure I will make use of it regardless of how the colour turns out. :D Would really like to get into dying G4s actually, they don't come in quite enough colours for me! xD
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:22:14 AM by hamsteh »

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: First rehair/few questions. :D
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:37:11 AM »
Unfortunately, the g4 ponies seem to repel dye (and paint at times). They are extremely hard to dye. Often, they fade super quick once dyed and turn odd colors. It can be done, but it's just very rare to find a pony it will work on. The only ones I have seen it work on have been dyed to extreme dark colors.

hamsteh

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:45:10 AM »
Unfortunately, the g4 ponies seem to repel dye (and paint at times). They are extremely hard to dye. Often, they fade super quick once dyed and turn odd colors. It can be done, but it's just very rare to find a pony it will work on. The only ones I have seen it work on have been dyed to extreme dark colors.
Lmao, looks like I've jumped in at the deep end a little then! xD Bit of a shame really, cause the only ponies I can seem to find in stores are the mane 6 ponies... I guess if the dying doesn't turn out well then I'll get the airbrush out. D:
Thanks for the warning! ^^; I'll not start this hoping for anything to actually go right anyways! :P

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:17:46 AM »
Her hair is gorgeous! Love the colors you chose!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »
I'd call her a custom! She super cute, too.

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:47 AM »
I love that pony!!!

Offline Eily311

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »
Very pretty

Instagram: Eily311MLP
Eily311 (personal page)

hamsteh

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
Thanks so much everyone! n__n Really appreciate it. It's funny cause the colours I used were ones bought at random to start me out, over at another forum... The only decision I made before I started was that the first colour in her hair would match her eyes, then I just picked colours I thought would fit together. xD
Well, my Rit dye came today, what a coincidence. xD I dyed my Rainbow dash and I think she turned out pretty well. :D I'm actually pretty happy with the colour, I expected it to not take at all after what Maniah said.

Guess I'll have to wait a couple of months down the line to find out whether the colour will stick, I stuck her in a bath of boiled water for a little while and changed it once, and nothing else seemed to seep into the water. But we'll see. :D Wish I could start rooting her right away, but gotta have patience really. ><;

Unfortunately, I used all my dye up... ^^; I was so worried it wouldn't take, that I ended up putting the whole lot in! Currently trying to think of other things to dunk into the dye before I tip it away, but can't think of anything at the moment. ; _ ;

Here are some pics, they head and body aren't an exact match but it's close enough for me and different enough to RD's blue that I can live with it. xD
Spoiler

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
Re: First rehair/few questions. :D (+ First dye job! O:)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
i think your custom is totally cute! :biggrin: and your RD redye looks like it turned out great :). i havnt tryed to dye a pony yet, but i have had a G4 repell paint, luckily i noticed as soon as it started to peel :cry:, sealed it again and put it under a no touch order :mad:...lol i hope your dye job stays cuz i know what its like to be done and have a catastrophy happen....

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
Your dye job looks realy good! Im surprised it came out so well! I would offer the suggestion of setting it aside for a week or two before painting on it. This will let you have a chance to see if the color changes, maybe. I think I recall hearing that the color change on dyed G4's happens fairly quickly, but I could be wrong and it could take a few months. Hopefully it won't change at all :)

keikokukien

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
Oh, she looks so cute! I'd definitely call her a custom. :)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
She is lovely!  Those colors are amazing together!

hamsteh

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
i think your custom is totally cute! :biggrin: and your RD redye looks like it turned out great :). i havnt tryed to dye a pony yet, but i have had a G4 repell paint, luckily i noticed as soon as it started to peel :cry:, sealed it again and put it under a no touch order :mad:...lol i hope your dye job stays cuz i know what its like to be done and have a catastrophy happen....
Thanks! I've a feeling that it'd go horribly wrong for me if I tried to paint a pony, I'm just hoping the dye doesn't fade out on her. x.x So paranoid about that happening, but I did manage to save my dye so I guess I can just keep at it until it takes. ; _ ; I'm so happy with the color of the body, it's perfect. <3
The head could be better, but I'm happy enough with it. Idk if it's just me being paranoid or the lighting I was looking at it in, but I'm sure it seems bluer now than it looked before. D: Gonna take plenty of pictures for comparison, until I decide to start painting and rooting. Guess I could always paint some white on the eyes and see if it bleeds.

Sorry to hear about your pony flaking! Such a shame... :( The bodies seem to repel everything, it's strange.. I wonder if it'd be worth sanding the body first and then painting thin layers of paint on top... Idk. I'm not all that experienced with paint. D:

Your dye job looks realy good! Im surprised it came out so well! I would offer the suggestion of setting it aside for a week or two before painting on it. This will let you have a chance to see if the color changes, maybe. I think I recall hearing that the color change on dyed G4's happens fairly quickly, but I could be wrong and it could take a few months. Hopefully it won't change at all :)
Thankyou! :D After your comment I seriously expected at least streaks, if the dye took at all. xD (which is good, you definitely had me prepared in case I failed! :)) I let her air dye for a bit and then remembered something about soaking in vinegar/water for a little while to help set it, so I stuck her in that for a couple of hours, wouldn't have been so long but I had to go out. xD

Hopefully that won't impact my chances of the dye staying put. ><; I then let her soak in some cold soapy water for a bit, she smelled like a chip shop! xD I guess if the dye is gonna fade then that'd get some of the fading out of the way. Can't tell if it's just the lighting or me being paranoid which is most likely, but the head seems bluer to me now. :s

Looking at it, I'm not so sure, it's still close enough to the body for me anyways, especially since it'll have her mane/fringe and eyes covering a lot of it and the body and head weren't the same shade of blue to begin with. >__< QUALITY CONTROL HASBRO! >( Haha!

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely leave it as long as I can stand before I start to rehair. ^^; The colour isn't easy to come by so I guess that'll help me have patience, don't wanna ruin any hair and I definitely don't want to have to do it twice. xD Will probably paint the eyes and leave her at least a few days before I start rooting, just to be sure.

(It probably helps that I used the whole sachet of dye, whereas most people only use a bit. :x Idk. I didn't mean to! It just kinda happened. xD)
Thanks for the help anyways, really appreciate it! n__n

keikokukien + Colorscapesart ~ Thankyou both so much! xD Definitely surprised at how nicely my first reroot turned out, didn't expect her to be liked so much either! O:

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:23 PM »
She is very cute! great job!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:52 AM »
Love the hair colors

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal