collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody see the latest episode of Storage Wars?  (Read 6342 times)

Offline MLPlyte

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody see the latest episode of Storage Wars?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
I couldn't believe there were finally ponies on one of these shows!! I was laughing the whole time, telling my husband how wrong that Brony was. I'm just so glad it wasn't G1s... I was sitting there terrified a Rapunzel or something was going to come out of that box! I hope those ponies made it to a good home. :)

Also, I haven't been around in ages, but as soon as I watched this episode I felt like this was the only place to come and be with others who completely understand.

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 08:05:17 AM »
Really, how difficult would it be to find an actual collector to consult?  I understand that the Storage Wars peeps didn't know the first thing about MLP, but surely a quick Google search could have turned up someone local?  I dunno.  I mean, I don't know how to ID and value Transformers toys, but I don't think I would just wander into a comic shop and expect a knowledgeable appraisal.   >_<

Offline Saphraira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Shoo be doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
Ughhh now every flea market seller that saw this episode will think their baity ponies are worth a fortune and will jack the prices up even higher!

Please god no. Florida degrades everything super fast already. I swear to god every pony I own has been in water at some point. (Well except the Canada ones.) So Now I get to have a hard time finding them and pay even more for the ones in nasty condition.
Looking for Surprise twins mommy

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 02:11:09 AM »
I'm a local pony collector, but I doubt they could have gotten me to sing a ridiculous awkward song about ponies on camera:p

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »
The guy who did the appraisal actually wrote a letter to that other pony site about the experience.  Apparently the show producers talked to several bronies before settling on him. They felt he could portray the fanbase in a neutral way I guess. They did in fact send him pic's of the storage locker beforehand so he had an idea of what was there.

He went into detail about the fandom with Jarrod and Brandi, and they were pretty fascinated about it, though most of it didn't appear in the show.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Sky_Rocket

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
If the ponies were seeded in the show - where did they get them?  Do you think the producers went to a flea market and bought one booths' stock?  or just bought a lot off Ebay and thought - why not?

Or, could it have been one of them knew a collector and 'borrowed' their collection for the show?

I can't see the clip - woes of a third world country.  But have seen pics of the Pinkie pie.  Would love to get her!  If she weren't Pinkie Pie...Fluttershy, Applejack that big - take my money! 

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »
If the ponies were seeded in the show - where did they get them?  Do you think the producers went to a flea market and bought one booths' stock?  or just bought a lot off Ebay and thought - why not?
I can tell you for a fact that Storage Wars is 100% staged. My old boss owned a unit that got rented for an episode and yeah, a lot of the "valuables" are planted.

I figured out a while ago most of the experts they consult have no idea how much stuff is actually worth. I was more horrified at the estimated price for a pristine antique bleeder (piece of medical equipment back when the four humours were a thing, definitely not worth 50 bucks like the "expert" said!) than the ponies.

Duster reference]

jess77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 06:26:09 AM »
The plushie has a tag.  I wonder if it was something won in a carnival or a place like Six Flags or something?

Offline snwbear24

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 06:47:18 AM »
It seems like a trend lately for ponies to be in or mentioned in shows lately. Big bang theory mentioned it, comic book men had 2 shows that had them, storage wars, and 2 broke girls. I am sure there are more that I'm not thinking of. I think they realize how big it is and want to get in on the action.
Looking For these to complete my G4's!!  :biggrin:
Royal Gem Carriage w/ Star Swirl

Looking For these G1's to complete US collection!!
Bushwoolies- Cheery, Hugster, and Chumster

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
Like so many so called "reality shows", they are very scripted.  The same with Pawn Stars etc etc...   They scout out items to use. 

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
I am curious to know how the brony came up with those prices.  Was he told to make up some high price, or did he just guesstimate that they worth more because they were an older edition? 
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
Just watched the episode On Demand, and cringed. If there were G1 or maybe some G2 in that bin, I'd consider the estimate more accurate, but even that would depend on which ponies they were and in what condition!

I hope this doesn't ruin flea markets for me now...

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline unluckyrabbit

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Ponies have taken over my life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 03:53:10 AM »
I've seen that same kinda pinkie pie plush on eBay.... It's been there Forever. It's some kinda pinkie pie you can sit on..

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 05:16:58 AM »
After watching a clip of the furry episode, and the pony episode, all I can say is this: they're demonizing fringe fandoms to get more viewership. Sure the chick was all "into" the brony culture, but they made the dude seem like a total dweeb... he wore a vague reference-y shirt, had some ponies out, and oohed and ahhed at the ponies like they were some fancy thing.... then priced them like they were each holding a gold nugget in their mouths. That makes bronies and pony collectors look like immature maniacs who'll pay anything to get ahold of a pony. It was embarassing, especially since I'm both a brony and a collector! And the way the guy looked at their poor recruited brony sap... like he was watching something ugly and pitiful... until he heard his over-inflated price of course. Then he hurried out of the shop.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2014, 07:34:07 PM »
After watching a clip of the furry episode, and the pony episode, all I can say is this: they're demonizing fringe fandoms to get more viewership. Sure the chick was all "into" the brony culture, but they made the dude seem like a total dweeb... he wore a vague reference-y shirt, had some ponies out, and oohed and ahhed at the ponies like they were some fancy thing.... then priced them like they were each holding a gold nugget in their mouths. That makes bronies and pony collectors look like immature maniacs who'll pay anything to get ahold of a pony. It was embarassing, especially since I'm both a brony and a collector! And the way the guy looked at their poor recruited brony sap... like he was watching something ugly and pitiful... until he heard his over-inflated price of course. Then he hurried out of the shop.

See, I feel like they could have at least TRIED to do some kind of research and actually found someone who was both a brony and a collector.  It looks like they just went out of their way to find someone to represent brony culture who was "weird" enough to garner interest in the episode but not so eccentric that he'd lose credibility as an appraiser. Either way, I'd like to see a follow-up where they try to actually sell the ponies for that much  :silly:

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal