collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do all Vinyl collectibles from Funko have a poor quality?  (Read 5979 times)

Offline TwinkleEye

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • TwinkleEye's little sculptures
Do all Vinyl collectibles from Funko have a poor quality?
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:05:40 AM »
I have seen a lot of pics from the Funko vinyl collectibles with ponies in bad quality... I hesitated a long time to order lovely Lyra Heartstrings...But I decided to give this a chance. Today she has arrived and I'm disappointed.
She has all the things I have seen on other pictures...
Bad paintingjob:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

bad quality of vinyl and vissible seamslines.
How can such a cheap quality justify this price?  :shocked:
Are yours in a better condition?

I think Hasbro has a better quality control on their own products and we all know that they are also not the best.

Only thing i like is the mold of the hair and the vinylcolor... I will repaint this.  :|
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:23:10 AM by TwinkleEye »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Do all Vinyl collectibles from Funko have a poor quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
Yep that is normal for Funkos - they are a mass manufactured product without a lot of effort from the employees.  Pour the molds, let them set, pop them out, let the paint machine do its thing....

If they were individually handpainted, you wouldn't be buying them off websites and store shelves, Funko probably would not even exist as a company. 
You really have to select them in person if a factory paint job is going to make you unhappy.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:19:09 AM »
All mine have some kinds of flaws, most of the time it's paint flaws and Funko's QC is at it's worst on the paint applications.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »
Sigh. And that is what keeps me from buying funko stuff. I have a Rudolph the red nose reindeer with paint issues

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the hikari funko vinyls are of higher quality.  But it's reflected with the price point.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 08:36:55 AM »
How can such a cheap quality justify this price?  :shocked:

This is a thought I have with almost everything mass produced these days. :shrug: Sorry you had a bad quality piece. :(

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

rebm19

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
Personally, I think that as Funko has become more popular, the quality has really taken a nosedive.  Which is a shame, as they were really quite nice.  The blind box ponies they sell now are just a joke when it comes to quality.  I picked up a Vinyl Scratch from a Con a while ago and when I finally had a chance to take a good look at her, I saw that her neck is separating from her body! Now I cant return her. :mad:  My friend also got a Celestia and had to return her because her mane was separating from her body and so was her neck, it's really such a shame. 

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
I have three and all have flaws... my first was Doctor Whooves and I was soo disappointed when he arrived. I compleined at the sellers and got a new one which was in even worse shape (bad paint job, bad plastic...). Same with my :muffin: Pony and Big Mac... I decided not to buy any more Funkos and save my moiney for better things. Its sad because I really like how the Funkos look but that poor quality wont bring me to spending more money on them.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
Sadly this is the norm. I had to go through about 10 Lyras when I was in Canada before settling for one with the fewest flaws (and her NDS side has more of course. Ugh.) Funko figures are nice when you get good ones. Or get them very cheap (which is a pain in Europe. I bought over-priced Funkos in Canada that were still cheaper than some stores in the UK).

The Mystery Mini ponies are flawless. I own four and one of them has a couple of black marks, that aside - paint and decals are perfect. Even my SDCC Dizzy Hooves is flawed - she has random black marks and is missing the eyelashes on her NDS. They market them as collector's figures, but I really think they misunderstand their target audience - most collectors are at least a little bit picky, if not very much so! It's a shame because there are other figures in the same price bracket that have far superior quality - I think Funko just cut corners in their QC department :(
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:35:29 PM »
I saw a Funko Fluttershy at Barnes and Noble the other day and one of her wings wasn't even attached. It was just laying in the box loose. I never did see a Bon Bon/Sweetie Drops with a good paint job.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »
As everyone's said, it's normal. Both my Lyras have problems like that. As do all my funkos. I could deal with it for the most part, but then they raised the price and now I won't be buying anymore. They were barely worth it at $16 each. $18.50 now is too much. :/ Just had to complete my mane 6, and Luna. But now there's no pony that would get me to buy another one.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »
I'm normally a very picky collector, but since it's normal for Funko ponies to have flaws, I just try to get the best of the worst ;)

Paint jobs don't bother me as badly as wonky glue placement or parts not seamlessly matching up.

Offline Delphian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 07:52:20 PM »
I'm normally a very picky collector, but since it's normal for Funko ponies to have flaws, I just try to get the best of the worst ;)

Paint jobs don't bother me as badly as wonky glue placement or parts not seamlessly matching up.

Same here! I haven't been able to find an Octavia that doesn't have a head that looks like it's about to pop off. Scary! My local TRU has a couple Spitfires on clearance I think in part because their paint jobs are terrible! Like, it looks like someone tried to clear and airbrush out in front of them. Even on clearance, I don't want one. :( But I have found some decent ones with few flaws and they look pretty cute from a distance. :lol:

Ponykit

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »
I have a couple of Funko ponies, and they seem relatively okay.

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »
Just remember, these are made at a very low price point, comparatively speaking. Plastic molding is expensive, especially for  lower production runs. You've got to take what you can get.

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 05:48:49 AM »
i don't collect these personally but I do buy them for my younger brother.
they all have some  flaws  on way or another,

ponies whose hair covers  one eye seam to be worse on the side that is  obstructed.    others are just   sloppily done  all over,   the minis  arent too bad    but  these larger ones  are are  just  awefull

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal