collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Calling all Canadian De-flockers...  (Read 361 times)

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
Calling all Canadian De-flockers...
« on: May 18, 2015, 06:53:48 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have a baity pony whose flocking is being quite difficult to remove, despite being oxyclean boiled, scraped and acetoned.  It almost looks like a fine "sheen".
Does anyone know what the Canadian equivalent of Jasco is?  Or if we even have one?
Ive been to Home Depot, Rona and Canadian Tire, and the sales people can't help, because they haven't heard of it.
Thanks in advance!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: Calling all Canadian De-flockers...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »
I find some of my deflocks towards the end get a glossy finish. I think it's what happens when the acetone meets the plastic after wearing through the all the glue.

Offline slyons

• G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »
Thanks kissthethuder, I thought that it might be something with the plastic and acetone, but maybe sheen was the wrong word...
It's almost like there is a fine flocking left over that refuses to come off (like I can see individual hairs stuck on her body) but it's so fine it like, sparkles?
I have tried acetone twice and it isn't working.  I'm worried when I have to do the symbols again, and that's why I was so curious about the Jasco...
I wish I could take pics to explain myself better  >_<

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
Jasco is essentially just a paint stripper - so any paint stripper product will work.

Have you used something similar before? I love paint stripper for deflocks but would advise you to be super careful when using as it will eat into the plastic pores if left on too long and you want to use it in a well ventilated area (ideally with mask and certainly with gloves)...I once made myself high when deflocking ponies *hangs head in shame*
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
I haven't deflocked in years (I am also not Canadian), but I remember the "in" thing to use was a petroleum distillate based tire cleaner.  I remember picking up a bottle at Pep Boys and it worked great...

...except the stuff is toxic...*points at hathorcat's post* it'll throw you for a loop!

I recently heard that Resolve Stain Remover also has petroleum distillates and can be used as a solvent to remove glue.  I don't know if anyone has tried it for deflocking yet, but if you have it on-hand it's worth a shot!

Offline slyons

• G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:33:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I figured that's what Jasco was, a paint stripper... But it's the fact that it doesn't take the symbol paint off is what intrigues me so much about it!  Like, how?

Thanks Hathorcat, it also said to use the acetone in a well ventilated area, certainly not a 5x7 bathroom with no fan on  :whistle: Acetone is  probably much less strong than paint thinner, so I should probably do it outside if I try it, lol.

I will have to ask the hubby if he has such a monster in his shed LittleSpiffy, would be nice if I didn't have to go out and buy anything!

What about mineral spirits... Anyone try that stuff?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
Thanks guys, I figured that's what Jasco was, a paint stripper... But it's the fact that it doesn't take the symbol paint off is what intrigues me so much about it!  Like, how?

Thanks Hathorcat, it also said to use the acetone in a well ventilated area, certainly not a 5x7 bathroom with no fan on  :whistle: Acetone is  probably much less strong than paint thinner, so I should probably do it outside if I try it, lol.

I will have to ask the hubby if he has such a monster in his shed LittleSpiffy, would be nice if I didn't have to go out and buy anything!

What about mineral spirits... Anyone try that stuff?

Its not the fact its Jasco specifically that does not remove the symbol, its the chemical properties that are in it that are in most other paint strippers. :) However for an easy reference, if no one can give you a specific brand, you could simply compare shelf products ingredients with what goes into Jasco? http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/31/3174c255-aff8-4c91-8284-12ca182f2893.pdf

However, I would say its a myth that it does not remove the symbol - it will. You just need to be as careful as possible. It will take rubbing to remove the symbol but it will come off with Jasco or any other paint stripper. You need to make sure to brush the area of the symbol once the glue and flocking are off as little as possible until the stripper evaporates :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal