collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A not so joyous reunion...  (Read 4749 times)

Artsy Craftsy

• Trade Count: (0)
A not so joyous reunion...
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
So my parents came down to visit me (they live 5 hours away) and I asked them to bring my bin of my MLPs and old toys. I was so excited to see my old friends again!

So I started unpacking them, they had been kept in plastic bags to make sure no mice or anything got to them. I was really excited, taking them out and remembering which ones were my favorites and when I got them.

But then, I become so overwhelmed with grief after each bag I opened...

All of their manes and tails had gotten frizzled and matted, their bodies slightly warped out of shape from sitting on top of each other for so long, and they were all covered in smooze....

I just sat and cried. My best friends that got me through all the bullying I went through, through all my parents fights and having to move when I was young... I felt I'd abandoned them... They were there for me all these years, but now they lay on my craft room floor, a total mess... Every single pony I got as a child was from the thrift store, so they never were perfect to begin with, but I don't remember them being in such bad condition...

I'll post pics later, I'm just so upset right now...
[nudging this over to the Pony Corral for you so you can get some cleaning tips.  *hugs* kiwimlp :) ]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:06:50 AM by kiwimlp »

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: A not so joyous reunion...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
Sweetie, these friends who saw you through still much, that you love so much, are still with you. You went and got them out again which is more than what most people can say! Post pics and share them with us, and we'll help talk you through what you can do to make all your friends the best they can be again. No matter what shape they're in, they're still yours, and they're still with you <3

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
Well you're just going to have to tidy them up and make them gorgeous again then show us how you did :)
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
I always feel happy when I'm prettying up a pony. By giving a pony another chance at life and beauty, you're giving yourself another chance too. Show them you love them by making them beautiful once again.  :ohyeah:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »
You can make them pretty again! Even with that smooze!

Offline BabyIceCrystal

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Active collector since 1983
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
You can coax their shape back the way it was meant to be and unless their hair is very bad, frizzyness can be tamed as well. Smooze will take some love but can be cured. Just think of what you get to give back to your old friends now! What kissthethunder said is absolutely true, there are many very skilled restoration experts here who can help you treat your ponies. Just post pictures.

What probably happened is that you are now looking at them with adult eyes. Children don't tend to notice or care as much about dirtiness or the collectible condition of their plastic friends. They see past that to the important parts... the love and friendship in them. I got Applejack when I was 5 or 6 and he and I had the same sort of relationship you clearly had with yours. He is coated in smooze, lost his tail decades ago, had his apples faded to orange, dry ends on his mane and rubs on his eye paint. But I consider these to be like badges of honour. He got that way because he was with me throughout everything life threw at me. All that "playwear" is proof of what a good friend he always was, and still is now. It sounds like your friends have similar badges!

I'd love to see pictures of your little heroes. Here's mine if it helps...

And why he looks so grey...

One of the first things I did when I connected with the online pony community back in the 90's was trade for a replacement tail for him. It felt wonderful! So trust me when I tell you that cleaning your friends will feel fantastic.

Want List

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
Aw honey, that must have felt awful.  It's amazing what you can do to restore a pony though, I'm sure that you can fix them up though.  I did a restore on my childhood AJ and she looks awesome now too.

Cleaned, but with a bald butt:

And after!

Good luck cleaning up your ponies.  There's lots of great restoration info in the Corral, I'm sure you can find anything you need.  And if you need advice, we're all here to help you out.  :hug:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
I know some of how you feel, I lived in a bad place when I was really little and just before we moved away one of the neighbor girl stole my special new doll, I had to leave her in that horrible place. Years ago I found the exact same kind of doll in a thrift store in HORRIBLE shape. I bought her for $1.50 and took her home, cleaned her up and made her lovely clothes. It was very theraputic for me. Like I wasn't just repairing her, but repairing the part of my soul that hurt from those dark years. People here can help you fix anything on a pony, even turn it into a 3-headed sea dragon or something.

I'm sorry that you had to feel that pain :( I hope you feel better soon. Let us know which ones you have, lots of us salvage tails from old ponies.

Good luck!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »
Aw, that sucks. Try conditioning their manes. For the smooze/pindot mold, wash the affected area with hot water, put antibactirial soap on it, and scrub with either a steal brush, or your fingernails. Then, dry them.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »
Sweetie, your post made me so sad.  I can imagine how upset you must be.  At least you still have your girls though and now you can set about making them beautiful again :hug:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
:hug:  I recently found my childhood Raincurl and she was in bad condition too; gray and frizzy and grimy.  But she cleaned up very well and I love having her in my colle ton.  :)

The important thing is that you have your childhood friends back and they can be loved and enjoyed again.  There are tons of tutorials here that can teach you how to get your ponies looking lovely again and I'm sure you'll have them looking lovely in no time.

Congrats on finding thm!  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 01:26:20 AM »
my poor girls were in *horrible* shape, but the only thing truly permanent was fading.  Hair can be tamed or replaced, smooze can be treated, ink can be sunfaded, symbols can be repainted, even missing pieces can be repaired with sculpy!

Don't give up on them, they just need lots of love and care, and they have you for that. :)

Start with magic eraser and give them a good cleaning(go around painted spots or be very gentle!), you may be surprised what happens! :D
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 02:02:32 AM »
Nurse them back to shape. They'll love you for it.

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 02:14:50 AM »
Don't feel bad about it.   Ponies clean up marvelously.

I think they may just be sporting the battle scars of being well-loved. There are many useful tutorials on this site for cleaning ponies. Sure they may look a little scary right now, but I think they will turn out just lovely after you clean them.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 03:12:45 AM »
Take some photos for us, it may look a daunting task but we can all talk you through it :)

As has been said, ponies clean up really well, so please don't be too disheartened! Ponies are toys and that they aren't in mint condition shows how well-loved they were :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal