collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 3 Complete Big Brothers...  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Complete Big Brothers...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »
Never tell people what they are worth.. When they are not collectors.
When I go to stores and talk to people in adds. I never tell them I am a collector. I never tell them what they are worth. I just play stupid.
  :nuts:  Lol!

I nodded vigorously while reading this.  I went to a car boot sale last summer and found a near mint Fiery the Dragon and a cute Pound Puppy in a plastic container at one seller's stall.  I casually held them up and asked "How much for these?"  Didn't breathe a word about their rarity or worth.  I wound up getting them for 10p each, and I don't feel the least bit guilty.  ^.^

I do that too.  I did that when I found two TAF babies and a MIP My Little Puppy Spaniel set for $.50 each.  I try not to act too excited until I leave :lol:.

I do the same. I wanted Tropical Breeze the flutter for months but never found a minty enough one, went to a carboot and found her, Majesty (near complete), UUAA, Majesty's cape + brush, tootsie and ribbon and a few others with fakies in a bag of kiddies ponies and picked out the G1s, and asked how much they were explaining I wanted just 'these ponies as they are prettiest' and she said, "Oh I just wanted £2 the bag" so I bought them all. Sold the fakies for about £5 so technically paid nothing. And guess what? Tropical Breeze is the mintiest flutter I've ever come across. So yeah, I always play dumb. I asked a woman with small kids and lots of barbies if she had any last season and she looked at me and said "Oh so I hear they are extremely rare, collectable and expensive now. You'd be lucky to get them." Pffft. I did get some, so how wrong you were lady! XD

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
I know how you feel...a very close friend of mine has a near mint blueberry basket as she hardly played with ponies as a kid....yeah she want to have her children play with it:( I begged to let me buy it or replace it with more common ponies or ponies that had marks all over:( sigh
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
I have given vintage toys (including a couple of ponies) to my nieces to play with.  I know some things are worth money, but the kids seriously love the stuff, and I absolutely love seeing them enjoying it.  They also take REALLY really good care of the stuff.  Last year I gave my then-3 year old niece a winged She-ra horse, I'm sure I told her to that I was entrusting it to her care, and trusting her not to break or step on it.  The next Christmas she couldn't wait to show me how well she had taken care of it.  Apparently every time she played with it she told my sister how she was taking care of it for her aunt-  it was so adorable. 

Seriously- not all kids are complete brats that ruin their toys.  If my sister sold the toys to some friend (or stranger) who came over asking to buy them-  I'd be seriously disappointed.   The toys belong to the kids.   

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
I don't think it's rude to offer someone a good deal of money for something you collect and cherish (bold maybe but rude? Eh..) Sure, maybe the child will someday cherish those ponies (you know, if she doesn't toss them aside in favor of a new gadget), but she's 2 years old right now. Would a 2 year old even notice if certain toys were replaced with other similar toys? And hey, if the woman ever needs some quick money, she now knows one way to get some. =P
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
I would have also been mad at the person for not selling it. I almost think she was doing it just to make the topic creator mad. A two year old won't even remember if a few ponies go missing.

I would have been furious too. No, I wouldn't have said anything rude to her, but I would have been fuming inside.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
I know it's hard sometimes as collectors to get past the "ponies going to children" thing, and I might be the odd person out here. I actually like the idea of ponies being with the kids instead of for example with me. They were meant for children, and the ponies I have the fondest memories of were the ones that I had during my childhood. I agree with several that it might be for sentimental reasons or just wanting to keep something for the kids. Not everything is for sale or has a price tag.

This is probably by far the comment that resonates the most with me.  One thing we all have to keep in mind here is that we are a community of collectors.  It can be difficult to step outside ourselves and realize that not everyone views things the way we do.  When I started collecting again as an adult, it was because I had such great memories of the ponies I played with as a kid.  I didn't care about finding rare or expensive ponies... that came much later after I got hooked, lol.  To be honest I kind of miss those beginning days when I was over the moon at FINALLY getting Bow-Tie, a pony I never had as a child.  I'm not sure at what point it turned into something more than just replacing a childhood pony that had gotten ruined or lost, or buying one I had always wanted.  I guess what I'm saying is, isn't the whole point of collecting because we want to connect with our childhoods in some small way?  If it's for the sake of collecting only, maybe we should reconsider why we are doing it. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't have been disappointed, either, but it's one thing to feel that someone is letting their old ponies collect dust vs. wanting to keep them for their own children or grandchildren.  Health and safety issues aside, it shouldn't matter to us if vintage toys are getting played with.  After all, isn't that what we did when we were kids?  Did any of us ever say to ourselves, "Boy, I better keep this pony in her original packing so she's worth something someday"?  No, we released them from their plastic bubbles right away so we could get to the business of playing with them.  Brushing and styling their hair, dressing them up in cute outfits, twirling them around in the Baby Bonnet School of Dance, etc.  Sometimes we even cut their hair, gave them eyeshadow, and wrote our initials on the bottoms of their hooves like Andy did with Woody, Buzz, and the gang. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I rue the day I ever start thinking more like a collector and less like a child.  And believe me, I have had to snap myself out of that mindset more than a time or two.  I am sorry if this causes waves.  I'm not speaking to anyone in particular, just commenting on the conversation as a whole and sharing my own opinion on the matter.  ^^;
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:55:39 PM by lochnessmomster »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

spookysage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
I have given vintage toys (including a couple of ponies) to my nieces to play with.  I know some things are worth money, but the kids seriously love the stuff, and I absolutely love seeing them enjoying it.  They also take REALLY really good care of the stuff.  Last year I gave my then-3 year old niece a winged She-ra horse, I'm sure I told her to that I was entrusting it to her care, and trusting her not to break or step on it.  The next Christmas she couldn't wait to show me how well she had taken care of it.  Apparently every time she played with it she told my sister how she was taking care of it for her aunt-  it was so adorable. 

Seriously- not all kids are complete brats that ruin their toys.  If my sister sold the toys to some friend (or stranger) who came over asking to buy them-  I'd be seriously disappointed.   The toys belong to the kids.

Very true! I was one of those careful children - taught to handle records and later CDs by the edges and label, never "dogeared" a book. I never even threw out my Barbies' boxes, and was very careful not to lose their accessories (and the Teen Skipper glasses I lost rankle to this day). I even got mad at my mother for machine washing and drying a plush white Persian cat I had - he wasn't even dirty, and his long, lovely fur came out completely frizzy, coarse and ruined! Too bad I only had one pony, secondhand at that - but years later and she's still in the condition I got her in.

I understand the disappointment, but it may help to remember just how many collectors still treasure their toys from years ago. Those Big Brothers are just future childhood ponies! Plus, with family members knowing the toys are worth a little something, I'm sure the kids will be encouraged to play with care.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:18:36 PM by spookysage »

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »
 I have a friend who has a complete Big Brother and Mountain Boy collection from childhood along with a bunch of other ponies including a Punzie -i've seen them-, but they're stored away and she doesn't collect. But I've never once asked after them even though a few are on my 'i'd like to own' list.  That doesn't mean that the person needs to be regarded with such unwarranted ...hate/disgust.... that I'm reading from some of these responses. Sometimes its not Petty that a co-worker/friend/boss doesn't want to give you their collection they have... maybe after hearing your stories about collecting they've realized 'oh hey i have these still, and I still like them.'

edited for word vomit and parts sounding too rude for my own liking
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:41:34 PM by kestral_kitsune »
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
so you offered a woman you barely knew money for sentimental keepsakes she took very good care of who'd rather share with her own daughter than sell them off? I can understand disappointment but the venom towards this woman seems unjustified especially since it seems a bit presumptuous to just offer to buy something from someone without really knowing who they are.

OKay, first of all, I did know these people, you missed the part of "my friends aunt", I know her whole family. Secondly, there's no "venom" towards anyone. I was disappointed (merely in losing a potential buy), but not angry. The grandmother didn't even know what she HAD, nor did the mother. They didn't "take very good care of them", nor were they "keepsakes", they were simply boxed up in the attic for the past two decades until the gramma found them and dug them out for the kids. The mother didn't CARE about the ponies other then her daughter played with them. Neither of them had any idea they were collectable, and in the aunt/grandmothers case, she didn't even know what they were. She thought they were only simple toys.  She decided to keep them simply because her kid played with them. ...and possibly since I mentioned their value she probably plans to keep them until the price rises, who knows. But, whatever, her choice of course.

And the only reason they learned they were worth anything was because my friend knows I'm a pony fan, and brought the whole thing up. My friend asked her aunt/the gramma to show them to me, and she was actually the one who suggested to the aunt/gramma she sell them to me. I was just happy to SEE them. I was excited at seeing the whole collection and being a collector, I let them know that it was such a collection and what the entire collection was worth (roughly $200 NOT counting the BB's!) by doing some quick checks here and on ebay. I figured if anything the gramma should know in case she ever did want/need to sell them, she could get fair price instead of $0.50 in a garage sale! She was happy to know that too, and even had me price check the Barbie she had for the kid too (she had some PRICEY Barbies and some really old classic cases!).

I don't see where anyone gets the idea that I was "venomous" or "rude", and some of the comments here came off as if you think me some horrible person... I was just trying to share a little "so close!" story. To me, I find it interesting top learn if what I have may be worth something to someone. Not "just to make money", but just to know. I've had collectors of other things see items *I* have and tell me about them and offer to buy them (and yes I've sold/kept things before) so when my friend suggested it to her aunt, I didn't see the problem in making the offer. Never hurts the ask, the worst people can do is say no, and THAT'S OKAY. I may have been disappointed at the response but such is life, it was nice to just see them.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:34:59 PM by Tilas »

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »
I don't think your's in particular was venomous , I need to reword mine  or just blast it cause blagh XD I need to not respond with a headache  it was just a couple others on here that kinda gave the vibe. 
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
@Tilas, big hugs to you.  It's no fun to feel like people are ganging up on you and/or making assumptions.  I can't speak for all the comments here, only my own.  Mine were mostly as a response to the conversation in general, not to your original post.  You shouldn't have to defend your position, though I definitely understand why you'd want to.  The full story makes a lot of sense to me, and it was actually very kind of you to point out their value should she decide to sell them in the future.  A lot of people wouldn't do that.  Heck, I don't even know if I would do that.  I would probably just say, "Please think of me if you ever change your mind."  :P

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
Tilas you did nothing wrong. As they say, you never know unless you ask. I personally do not think it is rude to ask someone if they would be interested in selling something. It becomes rude if you pester them about it after they say no. But just asking, "hey, would you ever consider selling them to me if I make you and offer" is not wrong.

I can also only speak for my posts, and it was in reference to that sometimes things can be like a oh drat situation. Just like on ebay, oh drat I did not win that pony and I was close. Like I said earlier, in my situation it just stinks that they would tell me they have them, and have no plans to do anything with them and know I am interested, but it is their decision as to what they do with their stuff. It is just a frustrating, oh drat scenario, but its all good. I  do not muster feeling of anger or hatred for it.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
Let's keep things civil, shall we?

I have my vast pony collection, and I have four daughters.  And they have the ponies they play with - G1s, G3s, and G4s.  (No G2s really because I'm not into collecting them).  True many of the G1s my kids have are duplicates, but some I gave them were pretty nice.  And they still are.  We have bins for the ponies, bins for the accessories, and bins for the playset accessories.  And I've shown them my ponies - the only ones I don't let them handle are the wingers, the flutters, and the Nirvanas/customs (due to fragility).  I look at my collection and realize that above all, I'm glad that my daughters love to play with ponies as much as I did, and that it would be sad if I couldn't share it with them.  Afterall, they are toys, and toys were meant for children.

Still, as a collector, it is a bummer when you miss out on ponies you really, really want.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline cyberfluf

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »
When growing up I had a friend who had two ponies, an italy parasol and a spanish baby bow-tie (cuddles pose). I did not know the value of the baby bow-tie back then but I had never seen her before and I did feel this must be a special pony. I offered to buy them from her as she did not play with them anymore, but she said she would keep them for her children to play with. Please keep in mind we were about eleven years old when this occurred, so I really didn't get why someone our age would do that. I still don't have a baby bow-tie in that pose in my collection and I'm still hoping to get her one day. She's in her twenties now and when reading this post I can't help but think what might have become of that baby bow-tie.. it can mess with your head as a collector :-p :-(
If you have G1 MLP fabric for sale please drop me a line (large quantity even better ;-))

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
Cool Story and Thread , Love all the different opinions and well is all good
My niece who I have been giving ponies since I started ,asked me the other day :

Would you leave all your ponies to me when you die ??

LOL  I was very surprised , I was thinking she was not that much into all the pony stuff, she likes most of the ponies,but not so much the old generations,Except G2's
I said  Yes of course ,with  her promise to cherish them as much as I do :)

she is a G4/g2 :)   so far............  LOL

I know she will appreciate them all when I'm gone :)

GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal