collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is this unusual blind bag a fakie? Analysis inside  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Is this unusual blind bag a fakie? Analysis inside
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:03 AM »
So, recently, there's been a set of "error" blind bags circulating around Taobao and Ebay. They look remarkably like past pony releases, but the plastic is suspiciously shiny. Still, I chalked that up to either wet plastic or weird lighting. Well, last night I dug out my blue-haired Ploomette for a comparison.

First, an overview shot.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Already you can see that Blue has a bit less care taken with her painting than Orange, but hey, Hasbro's QC hasn't been the greatest lately. But there's a bigger issue.

Their cutie marks are completely different vectors. Two options at this point: either Ploomette's getting a rerelease, or something fishy is going on. Now for the moment of truth...

Her head and body are all one piece. Unless Hasbro's changed their manufacture process drastically, this blind bag is fake as fake can be. Possibly the best fakie I've ever seen, though!

I didn't take pictures of this next part since I considered the matter closed, but I kept comparing. Everything on Blue is a bit thinner, smaller, less detailed. Her legs and face are narrower; the marks under her hooves stand out a bit less.

I bought the rest of the set off Ebay, it'll be interesting to see how they compare!

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Is this unusual blind bag a fakie? Analysis inside
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »
If the hoof says hasbro she's not a fakie.  As much as I enjoy the blindbags I'll be the first to admit that they have never been high quality.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
Hmm I rather find her an error/protoype, also because she has an production code under her hoof wich relates to the date: 4 May 2013.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:29:26 AM »
The one with orangish hair seems to be a little smaller overall than the other...her front hoof is fatter as well...I don't know much about blind bags, so I'm just bringing and unbiased and notably uneducated view :)

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
If the hoof says hasbro she's not a fakie.  As much as I enjoy the blindbags I'll be the first to admit that they have never been high quality.
It seems like she's made from a mold that was made from an official blind bag--hence the smallness and narrowness overall. So naturally she still has the hoof info, she was made from an official product.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »
Do you mean the one with matching hair + tail? Cuz if not, she's not a fakie. My Ploomette has mismatched hair, too, and I bought her like all my other blind bags.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:32:49 AM »
Do you mean the one with matching hair + tail? Cuz if not, she's not a fakie. My Ploomette has mismatched hair, too, and I bought her like all my other blind bags.
Hmmm! The plot thickens. Two questions:
1.) Did you buy her out of a bag, or on ebay?
2.) Are her head and body one piece or two? The deciding factor for me is that, since Hasbro just does not make blind bags in one piece (unless they've recently changed their mold).

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
Hmmm! The plot thickens. Two questions:
1.) Did you buy her out of a bag, or on ebay?
2.) Are her head and body one piece or two? The deciding factor for me is that, since Hasbro just does not make blind bags in one piece (unless they've recently changed their mold).

1) Out of a bag.
2)She should be in two pieces, unless you mean she's broken? Cuz she's not.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
Hmm! Now that is really interesting. Could you get pics of her?

The way blind bags are manufactured now, the head and body are molded separately, then the long neck stem is glued into the head. You can see it through the clear ones.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:54:33 PM by Shiromisa »

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 01:30:19 PM »
No, mismatched is legitimate. It's the one with the same mane and tail that's apparently a fakie, counter-intuitive as that may seem.
I bought the rest of the set off Ebay
I should have known! Well, I got most of the next set, or at least of the ones I'm interested in. Just missing that beautiful Twilight Velvet Applejack, and I guess I may pass on the darker-maned Prism Glider if he's not a real prototype, since the visual difference is too subtle to be covetable on its own. And now I need to get myself a real Dainty Daisy to match the fake one... oh, life is hard!

There've been Mr. Cake and Nurse Snowheart pictured with these girls too, right? They gave the various AJs and RDs an air of authenticity, but heck, maybe they're fakes too...

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
Ohhh pfff, sorry for the misunderstanding! :lol: I was eating lunch at the time and misread. Yes, blue is the fakie, orange is legit. :)

Violet: Haha, yep! There's also been a Flitterheart, Roseluck, and Periwinkle with them. I want a Flitterheart fakie, just for completion's sake.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »
I had no idea that blindbags held such intrigue...they're kind of a question mark the same way the Dicord Fashion Style ponies are. They have official Hasbro MLP hoof marks, have separately stamped numbers on the molded hoof bottom, and some have the black numbering, so Hasbro's either gone whackadoo, or the fakie makers have seriously upped their game.

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
So the moral of this post is to only buy blind bags from stores?

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »
So the moral of this post is to only buy blind bags from stores?

I'm not sure...I guess if you want an absolute guarentee that it's a Hasbro BB...but if you like to roll the dice, this actually seems to be kind of a fun way to do it :)

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »
I have the same Ploomette with blue hair, but I gotta say, her head and body look like separate pieces glued together to me.
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal