collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is this unusual blind bag a fakie? Analysis inside  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is this unusual blind bag a fakie? Analysis inside
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
All right, I'm back. Comparison shots are under the cut:

Spoiler
Cutie Mark

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Eyes

Production Code

Hooves

Neck and Head

These are what I mean by 'gaps'. It's easier to see in real life than a photo, but it looks like the ends of the hair (and by extension the head) were cast separately.

This Prism Glider has an odd seam near the neck joint.

With Skywishes (for added reference)

The Grey Glider's eyes are actually a tad neater than Skywishes'.

That's the last of 'em. I'll leave you guys to draw your own conclusions.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
Hmmm! Now that's interesting. Until my others arrive, I'm comfortable supposing that mine's head and neck are just...uncommonly well fit together or something? :lol: But the plastics and cutie marks are definitely different between the two, which is interesting since Prism Glider is in production now. Someone who can read production codes, would you mind translating both of them?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 09:44:33 PM »
Hmmm! Now that's interesting. Until my others arrive, I'm comfortable supposing that mine's head and neck are just...uncommonly well fit together or something? :lol: But the plastics and cutie marks are definitely different between the two, which is interesting since Prism Glider is in production now. Someone who can read production codes, would you mind translating both of them?

The Prototype one: May 6, 2013
The Regular one: March 4, 2013

The regular one:
#35581 = Wave 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 blind bag figures

Wich is quite strange because I thought BB's from W9 had this code only... #A6003 = Wave 9 blind bag figures so far, all of my W9 ones have this code... I have to get a Prism Glider for myself then...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:47:21 PM by TornadoTwist »

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
Hm! I didn't know there was that big a gap between a pony being produced and being put in stores. But a two-month gap seems not out of the realm of possibility.

Also! I should confirm, the darker-haired one definitely looks like the same mold as Bluemette. (Bloomette?) The hole hoof is similarly thin. Is it just me, or does PG's eye vector look like it has shorter eyelashes than SW's?

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline TornadoTwist

• Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:17 AM »
I just got a prism Glider myself. And this one just has the W9: #A6003 code. Thats strange! ALso, is it me or does mines look more blueish?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:41:59 AM by TornadoTwist »

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 11:05:59 AM »
I have two Prism Gliders at the moment (not by choice), and they both say 33081 on the hoof. Which is quite a trick, considering I got them over a month apart from one another and from two different sellers.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
The separate head/body thing really does tip me back to the test batch/production angle. It really would be an elaborate fakie maker to add the production date stamp. 

I have two Prism Gliders at the moment (not by choice), and they both say 33081 on the hoof. Which is quite a trick, considering I got them over a month apart from one another and from two different sellers.

Not really. You could buy 2 cans of beans from 2 different retailers in 2 different towns at 2 different times with the same batch number/use by date. Its just about who picks things up when, from where and even when they are finally listed on ebay. If the ponies are tests of some kind then having very similar production stamps is also perhaps not too surprising.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:29:08 PM by hathorcat »
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 03:14:30 AM »
I got four Applejacks in today (the two Pepperdances, the Forsythia, and the Dainty Daisy), plus a Bluemette. I compared the four Applejacks to a real Pepperdance from wave 1, plus a Violet Fritter from wave 9 in case the mold changed sometime in-between. Conclusions:
  • I don't notice any of the mold differences Shiro mentioned. The heads are separate, and nothing appears to be narrower than it should be.
  • However, they're definitely not using the standard Applejack mold. The hole in the hoof is consistently shallower, the seam under the chin is more pronounced, and they have several rigid lines on the back half of the face that aren't present on the real thing.
  • What they are using is the exact same molds as these figures. Or the Applejack is identical, anyway, and I see no reason why the rest wouldn't be.
As for cutie marks... yes, Bluemette and Ploomette do have different stroke widths for the spikes of the crown. AJ!Forsythia and R!Forsythia's look identical, except that they're mirror images of one another. Pepperdance's is quite distinct. Don't have a Dainty Daisy to compare against.

ETA: In fact, all the molds from that series seem to have shallower hooves than the real thing... except for Rarity's. Which is annoying, because I really thought I'd found an answer to where the purple and yellow metallic Rarity figures had come from, but now I can't find any way to test it.
ETA2: The purple+yellow metallic Rarity figs have a distinctive green on the insides of their hooves. By contrast, the normal metallic figures from back in the day are metallic from head to toe. I got a fakie (IMO) metallic Applejack, but no, she's got a metallic inner hoof too. I guess I'll need a currently-more-expensive Rarity, unless I can find someone who already bought one. :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:18:23 PM by VioletCLM »

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
new blind bags.. any idea on these guys..fakies?
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
 any info would be much appreciated and a thousand apology's if these has been posted before :)

slight colour differences to pepper dance

earth version of twilight velvet ?

earth version of Forsythia

and this one in reverse colour from its original dainty daisy

oh look they are in same pose.....really well made fakies??, got that dainty daisy in today and she has all the same markings plus the black stamp

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
Re: new blind bags.. any idea on these guys..fakies?
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »
Thread is here. There's also a Ploomette variation, a Periwinkle, a Flitterheart, a Lily Blossom, a Prism Glider (with darker gray hair) a Roseluck (looking more like her second release IIRC), a Nurse Snowheart and Mr. Cake (maybe), and one each of the metallic AJ+PP+R from wave 4. There's not exactly a consensus on their authenticity, because different people seem to get different results when applying the same tests, but I'm quite confident the ones I have are fakies, since they have uniformly shallower hoof holes than their genuine equivalents but they match these figures exactly.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:19:28 PM by VioletCLM »

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »

crazy going by the link its like where does the original's end and the fakies begin, they are really hammering them out now  :yikes:
i am going to have a blind bag nervous breakdown...i just can not keep up.  :blink:

i guess time will tell if they turn up in hasbro packaging them are real, if not all fakies not made in a hasbro factory by some naughty peeps  :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:27:50 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
I want to believe they're real because that's more interesting, but the fact that they're definitely a different mold from Hasbro's official ones (made to look as close to official as possible) makes me think fakie, too.

Offline TornadoTwist

• Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »
I have the last 2. Their body is more smooth and shiny and the eyes are a bit larger.

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »
where does the original's end and the fakies begin
These ones are ridiculously close. I compared fakie Lily Blossom to real Lily Blossom and would not have known which was which without checking the hooves. If only they came up with their own designs with this quality (or, better, personally asked me to come up with designs for them).

Offline Shiromisa

• Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
The fakie Flitterheart I bought was ridic close too, only the cutie mark was a teeny bit off. I'm kind of glad I got one with a paint flaw so I can tell her apart from the real ones!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal