collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift shopped out and discouraged  (Read 4653 times)

daystar217

• Trade Count: (0)
Thrift shopped out and discouraged
« on: October 02, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »
So I went thrift hunting today for ponies and a few other toys I'm accruing for my little girls, and I came home very disappointed. I found lots and lots of G3's (which I didn't buy) but not a single g1. I went to Goodwill, Donna's thrift store, some scary gas station converted into a junk shop, and two different flea market malls filled with about 50 different vendors all selling tons of junk. And I mean I dug through boxes and boxes of toys. I found dozens of cabbage patch dolls and lots of other 80's toys, so why is my area so difficult to find second hand ponies? It made me wonder if I should have bought the g3's in hopes of trading them for g1's in the arena. Thoughts?

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift shopped out and discouraged
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:16:31 PM »
My area thrift stores rarely have G1`s. When I go thrifting I expect to find G3, G3.5, G4 and tons of McDonalds. In the last 5 years Ive only found a couple of G1s at thrift stores. And never in yard sales.
I went thrifting today and only found 1 G4 pinkie pie and a McDs. The toy section had been picked over.

Offline Aliyahbetd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
I've been visiting my two local thrift stores once or twice a week for the past year now, and I've only found g1s twice (but one f the two I found is one of my absolute favorites :) ). They seem to be quite rare.

Don't give up! I'm sure you will find something super cool :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:46:01 PM by Aliyahbetd »
Wishlist:
My Kingdom for Cranberry Muffins! :lovey:...
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379105.0.html

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
I've never found G1s in any thrift store I've ever been in =/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:58:12 PM »
They don't come up very often. I've had pretty good luck this year but haven't found one in at least 2 months. And I check 6 thrift stores several times a week. Anytime I'm nearby one I check and twice a week I go check them all. Don't be discouraged, you are going to have to check quite often to find anything.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
Honestly, its 2016. The 80s have been over for close to 30 years. Most people who wanted to toss out/donate their 30 year old toys already have. With the popularity of eBay/Craigslist/etc and the growing knowledge random people have about collectors, most people aren't just going to give away piles of really old toys anymore. A lot of people won't pass on the opportunity to make money reselling something by giving it away, especially with all those ridiculous not-at-all-researched clickbait sites screaming about how 80s-90s toys/kid stuff is worth $83849234203 each.

Plus there's the people who buy from thrift stores and resell as a means to pay bills. If you know what to look for it can be really lucrative, not just with ponies.

Princess Lala

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 08:54:14 PM »
After five years of looking (I go twice a week) in my thrift store, ive onpy seen like 2 G1s in the wild. Lots of G4 Mcdonalds ponies and G3s though.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:56:13 PM »
*remembers 1996-2000* ahhhhh the days of popping into a goodwill and leaving behind common g1s! Haha I very seldomly find g1s now. I found a tailless peachy at a flea market covered in ink and I paid $3 for her just for the novelty!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

daystar217

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 05:41:02 AM »
So, if you were me, would you buy those G3's when they come up? Is it possible to trade several G3's for a G1, or is that not something people are interested in doing?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »
My area is terrible for finding old toys. The thrift   stores usually don't have ponies, Barbies etc.. or if they do they are in bad shape. I did find some G1s at an antique store probably 10 years ago but the store wanted way too much for them in their condition. I remember they wanted $6 for a Bouncy that had a lot of flocking loss.

I've even tried Savers and only found McDonald's Happy Meal Equestrian Girls and ponies. I was going to buy some old Beanie Babies from Savers and discovered a dead bug inside the bag with the toys, so I left  those behind too.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 06:03:39 AM »
My thrift stores never have any ponies of any generation. I keep looking in hope for G4s but there are hardly any toys at all

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 06:08:20 AM »
So, if you were me, would you buy those G3's when they come up? Is it possible to trade several G3's for a G1, or is that not something people are interested in doing?

Well, it really all depends if the person you are trading with is looking for g3's  :)
I am actually in the middle of such a transaction, my g3's for g1's....they are considerably less than what I'm purchasing so I have to cover the difference with monies...
So it is possible!  I never leave a pony behind, but that's a personal preference...

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline wyndeboo

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 06:24:52 AM »
Don't give up hope. I've been collecting for nine years and have only found g1 ponies in the wild 5 times. Just keep looking they'll pop up eventually.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 06:52:21 AM »
Just keep trying... I've never, ever found a pony in a thrift store, so if I found G3s I would've been ecstatic :P

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54:19 AM »
It's rare I find them, I'm just super surprised and happy when I do lol!

Now I may pay more than I would in the past because it is so rare I come across them.

I'll pick up rare G3s to trade though so far they just sit taking up room!!

I had plans for pony hunting this summer to and it never happened :(
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal