collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mistaken a real MLP for a fakie?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Trinity

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Also known as Elfwink.
    • View Profile
    • Elfwink's Pixels
Mistaken a real MLP for a fakie?
« on: April 30, 2016, 01:34:26 AM »
I had a Wind Whistler when I was a child, and I had never seen a so soft pony before. I thought she was an inauthentic MLP and treated her badly because of that. :( (I never intentionally broke her, I just treated her a bit rougher, and played with her much less.) She was one of the first to go when I was downsizing my childhood toys. It wasn't until I came back to MLP as an adult, when I saw there were other so softs.

I don't have one now, but if I found another Wind Whistler, do you think she'd accept me as her mummy?  :blush:

What about you? Have you ever mistaken a real, authentic MLP for a fakie?
:rainbow: also known as Elfwink | pixel art!

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Mistaken a real MLP for a fakie?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 01:40:54 AM »
When I first started picking up second hand ponies (this was a long, looong time ago, goodness) I got a Ruby Lips, and thought she was either a fakie or a Terrible Idea.  She got tossed in the pony box without much care and ignored for many years, poor thing.  Hated how skinny and not-pony she looked, and lipstick, eugh!  Probably wouldn't have even bought her if she hadn't been with a bunch of other ponies and sold as a lot.  I'm more appreciative these days though her set isn't one of my favourites.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »
Nope - by the time I was hunting for MLP at thrift stores, at least one of the online collecting guides had been published and I had memorized it...  Dream Valley likely...
I always knew as a child to look at the eye shape and the "Hasbro" on the foot! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »
No, but if I had seen Dream Beauties and G2s at a Swapmeet somewhere, I would have never guessed they were MLP.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
My childhood friend had Napper with purple hair I remember. She and the whole set of Sparkle ponies werent available in Germany and me and my other friends had never seen a translucent pony before... only fakies with not-so-well-made bodies that looked almost that way. So we branded Napper as a fakie. My poor friend fought with all she had to make us believe it was a real MLP but no one believed her. You cant imagine my face when I found out that Napper was a real MLP years ago.  I feel bad for her until today... and I wish I could say sorry to my childhood friend but I have lost contact when we moved away 20 years ago :/

Btw, I secretly admired her pony back then and borrowed it a few times (secretly of course with the owner knowing but no one else...). Napper was so pretty to me but to be really honest, I wasnt able to officially admit that because the friend who owned her was "a baby girl" to me and my other friends, since she was 2 years younger and we, the "wise 8yo-something", would never admit that such a young kid had a nicer toy than we did. Gosh I feel really ashamed writing that o.o
Well yeah but thats the truth.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
I haven't but I do think that G2 ponies look like fakies.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »
Basically any G3.5 toy I feel ill-equipped to guess the veracity of.  :redface:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 11:42:42 AM »
Not really...more that ponies appeared that I couldn't identify, because they were not formally sold here and therefore I didn't recognise them. But I didn't think them fake, they were obviously real - just I didn't know who they were or why they existed. They were mysterious O.O. Pink Dreams, the twins from the slumber party, German Himmelstaenzer, Diamond Dreams. Purple Woosie. Baby Leaper. All mysterious.

The biggest mystery was Hippety Hop, though. Like the OP, I never heard of SS ponies, I never knew what they were, and I had no imagining of them until I found one for some reason here at a carboot sale. She's pretty beat up but I still have her. I remember my sister and I going..what the HECK happened to her?

But she looked like Masquerade's pose so I bought her anyway and took her home. Eventually I figured out from DV what she was, but yeah, that was a weird moment. I didn't think she was fake, but I had no idea how to explain this weird alien entity that had appeared before me...

Edit: Oh, I forgot! There were the piggy ponies Reaperfox and I saw at the Steam Fair in 1998, long before we knew what those were. We laughed at them and left them there. Fortunately her Dad saw them and bought them for her as a joke, also thinking them fake. So she still has them, I think. But we really thought them fakies. ANd, honestly, I still think they're hideous. To me they're real ponies which I still half-reject as such, even now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:45:11 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »
Yes! When I was a kid my friend had a brown Snuzzle and I was convinced it was a fake!! Only now have I seen they just come from other countries and look a bit different! I'm sure the piggy ponies would have fooled me too!

Post Merge: April 30, 2016, 11:47:15 AM

When I first started picking up second hand ponies (this was a long, looong time ago, goodness) I got a Ruby Lips, and thought she was either a fakie or a Terrible Idea. 

"Terrible Idea"  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 11:49:41 AM »
Yes, the first time I stumbled upon Little Flitter on Etsy, I immediately fell head-over-heels but thought she was a really well-made fakie because I'd never seen Summer Wing ponies before. After doing some research and seeing that she was indeed a proper MLP, I decided to give her a home. Wingers are one of my favourite sets now! :heart:

Offline SubmarineHallucination

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Nothing is Astuter than a computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 11:56:13 AM »
I thought the Sour Sweet Equestria Girl was fake, probably the odd color scheme.
Everybody needs a friend!
ISO Sweet Stuff and Honeycomb!

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 12:37:07 PM »
I never had seen Rhythm & Rhyme before, so when I saw her, I instantly mistook her for a fake until I saw her hoof mark when I got home XD
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
Never. It's has always been the eyes and the Hasbro stamp. I remember finding Forget Me Not at a fleamarket when I was about six, and I had no idea the flutters were ever made, I just knew them from the show. So I didn't recognize her as such and I had no idea what she was, but it was the eyes that told me it was a real pony, and the Hasbro stamp confirmed it.

Same thing with Baby Brother Sweet Celebrations. He looked so weird and off and bloated, but one look in his eyes and I knew he was a real pony. XD

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
It has never happened to me with an MLP, but it did happen with a care bear. I live in Canada, we only had the original ten bears, same as the USA. But at a yard sale here, many years ago, I found a Harmony Bear (the purple one with three hearts on her tummy, not the music symbol one). I didn't recognize the character, and figured she was a fakie. I left an original, vintage, Harmony Bear that was priced at a dollar (a dollar!) behind.  (That's the equivalent of not recognizing Sweet Scoops or Rapunzel, to put it into perspective).

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »
 ^.^ don't worry I am sure the next so soft Windwistler you will have , will find you as a Mummy  ^.^ Ponies are so nice  ;) ;)

I can not answer to your other question as I only got Tickle as a child and some remco fakies. Except Parasol who belonged to my sister, I have never seen other ponies during my childhood (I have learned my friends had some but we never played with them or bring them to school lol) so I never took a real MLP for a fakie ;o)
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal