collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mistaken a real MLP for a fakie?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Mistaken a real MLP for a fakie?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
I almost passed over a Dream Beauty at the thrift store.  It didn't have any Hasbro marking so I thought it wasn't for real. But I thought it was so pretty that I decided I didn't care and wanted it even if it wasn't legit.  Of course, I get home and look it up and was astounded by the prices it goes for.  I got it for less than $5.

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
Yes, my Piggy Pony.  I wouldn't have got her at all except that she was sold as part of a big carrier bag of ponies (mostly fakies) for £2 and I wanted another pony in the bag.  She terrified me...my mum said she looked like a real MLP but I laughed and said "of course not" and refused to even look at the poor pony due to her spooky, rusted eyes.

She lived in my fakie box for about four years before I found out the truth!  The worst bit is that I have a vague recollection of seeing two ponies that looked like "that weird scary fakie" at a car boot sale that same summer...which I left there, of course.  Still don't know if they were real piggies or not.

Then there was a plush pony at a charity shop.  I remember it being white with eyeshadow and my mum saying it couldn't be real because "real MLPs don't wear eyeshadow".  Possibly it was Hasbro Softies Honeycomb.  Another time I remember leaving a hard plastic carousel horse at a toy fair.  I'm not sure but it might have been Circle Dancer.  I try not to think about those times.  I was only a kid then so it's possible my memory is playing tricks and the piggies, Honeycomb and Circle Dancer all really WERE fakies, but it still makes me sick to my stomach to think about it!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »
It has never happened to me with an MLP, but it did happen with a care bear. I live in Canada, we only had the original ten bears, same as the USA. But at a yard sale here, many years ago, I found a Harmony Bear (the purple one with three hearts on her tummy, not the music symbol one). I didn't recognize the character, and figured she was a fakie. I left an original, vintage, Harmony Bear that was priced at a dollar (a dollar!) behind.  (That's the equivalent of not recognizing Sweet Scoops or Rapunzel, to put it into perspective).

Oh no!!! If it makes you feel better that was the 20th Anniversary version, not the vintage one. I almost did the same thing though. I found vintage Day Dream, Harmony and Surprise bear at a thrift store here in Calgary. My carebears had been in storage for over 10 years at this point and I thought I had them all so I started to walk away. I did recognize them as not being one of the main bears so I turned around and grabbed them, they were only $5 each. Got home and looked them up and was sooooo happy I did! This was about 2 years ago now, I finally got my bears out of storage and I did not have them so that makes me even happier I didn't pass them up, that would have haunted me for the rest of my life. I did know they were authentic though.

As far as ponies go, I don't think I've ever thought one was a fakie, I know what to look for. Maybe the closest would be my MOC Argie that I bought on ebay back in the day. At the time no one knew what they were and they were cheap enough so I bought one, not sure if it was a fakie or real. It wasn't until I started collecting again in the last few years that I found out about Nirvanas and found out what she was.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 10:18:24 PM »
I bought a piggy blossom from eBay back in the day for $8 because everyone thought she was a fakie!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 11:21:15 PM »
I've told this story before on here, but it's a good one - so I'll tell it again.

Our story is set in the UK, a couple of months before a Christmas somewhere between 1993 and 1996.  My primary school was participating in Operation Christmas Child https://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/who-we-are/our-history/history-of-operation-christmas-child/ (same as Samaritans Purse in the USA), an initiative which sent shoeboxes full of toys to children in response to two major issues affecting the Balkan region of Europe - the fall of the dictatorial regime in Romania, and the Bosnian War.  Romanian orphans and children with special needs and/or disabilities were put into orphanages with no social interaction and little food, and there was appalling genocide and war crimes such as rape going on in Bosnia.

So, I begin putting together a shoebox.  At the time, I was an only child, and found it really hard to give away my toys.  So I decided to put the toys I liked the least in there.  The Barbie clothes an aunt had knitted for me in a weird orange colour, and a pony that I thought was a fakie.  She was always used as the "bad" pony.  The one who broke things, or had been smoozed, or enslaved by a Peppermint Rose doll overlord.  She had stains on her hooves from where the Perfume Puff Palace nail polish had leached into the plastic.

This is the pony I gave away.  I hope it found a new owner who loved her and deserved her far more than me.

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 02:41:19 AM »
I thought the Sour Sweet Equestria Girl was fake, probably the odd color scheme.

Sour Sweet? With yellow body and deep pink hair? That doesn't seem so unusual a color scheme....

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »
Yes my dad picked up a butterscotch piggy at a booty years ago. When I picked her up I chuckled as I thought she was a rip off... Haha Mlptp told me the truth and so as my dad normally does pick up fakes got a pat on the back lol!

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »
a G3 baby in  ebay France , I was thinking it was the real thing, until it arrived here and I touched it and It was not Winter Ice LOL
i did not pay much for it, it came along with many g2s from same seller luckily LOL.

it was a fakie made with the mlp mold though .
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
I found a few US ponies at car boots so I had no idea who they were. I didn't exactly think they were fakes but they weren't in my fact file so I just figured they weren't official. Firstly I found a purple baby sea pony with white hair who I didn't realise was baby Surf Rider so she was called "baby sea blossom" and Sea Spray the yellow sea pony. She was inventively called "big sea pony."
I found "princess Quartz" aka Princess Moondust and I did think she was a fake but she looked enough like the princess ponies to get a place in my collection.
Finally there was "baby with wool" (I was very inventive with names.) She turned out to be baby Fleecy from the pretty pals set :)

Offline DalaPony

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »
At some point in the 90s I bought a Water Colour baby sea pony, either at a jumble sale or charity shop. I had no idea who she was and I was perplexed by her fine, cottony hair. As this was before the internet and other guides to MLP I assumed she was some kind of fakie, didn't really play with her, and for the longest time she was consigned to my parents' attic.  Recently I FINALLY identified her from My Little Wiki, dug her out of the attic and brought her home with me.  I had to try and undo the rather disastrous makeover that young me once decided to give her and at least now she'll get to live in peace with some of her friends instead of being stuck in a dark attic  :P

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 03:29:07 PM »
It has never happened to me with an MLP, but it did happen with a care bear. I live in Canada, we only had the original ten bears, same as the USA. But at a yard sale here, many years ago, I found a Harmony Bear (the purple one with three hearts on her tummy, not the music symbol one). I didn't recognize the character, and figured she was a fakie. I left an original, vintage, Harmony Bear that was priced at a dollar (a dollar!) behind.  (That's the equivalent of not recognizing Sweet Scoops or Rapunzel, to put it into perspective).

Oh no!!! If it makes you feel better that was the 20th Anniversary version, not the vintage one. I almost did the same thing though. I found vintage Day Dream, Harmony and Surprise bear at a thrift store here in Calgary. My carebears had been in storage for over 10 years at this point and I thought I had them all so I started to walk away. I did recognize them as not being one of the main bears so I turned around and grabbed them, they were only $5 each. Got home and looked them up and was sooooo happy I did! This was about 2 years ago now, I finally got my bears out of storage and I did not have them so that makes me even happier I didn't pass them up, that would have haunted me for the rest of my life. I did know they were authentic though.

As far as ponies go, I don't think I've ever thought one was a fakie, I know what to look for. Maybe the closest would be my MOC Argie that I bought on ebay back in the day. At the time no one knew what they were and they were cheap enough so I bought one, not sure if it was a fakie or real. It wasn't until I started collecting again in the last few years that I found out about Nirvanas and found out what she was.

No such luck, this was before any of the re-releases was done.

Offline Terra

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Longeared/
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 11:39:16 AM »
A good friend of mine gifted me their old ponies, which included a few g1s, and some fakies. I got two tall realistically-shaped horses in the lot as well. A blue glittery one with eyeshadow and swans, and a see-through pinkish one. I just sort of figured they were random weird colored horses. Turns out it was Crystalline the dream beauty and the "crystal" version of She-rah's horse.

I wouldn't have guessed they were related to major 80's toylines, and much much less that Crystalline was closely tied to MLP.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
I definitely thought G2s were fakies when they first came out.  I was so outraged by the misappropriation of the MLP labeling-  until I realized it was legit...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal