collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coronavirus info, facts & updates  (Read 21329 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus info, facts & updates
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:03 AM »
This virus is spreading so fast and will only spread faster in the US- mostly because there are so many who just don't think it is a big deal or it won't affect them and are ignoring recommendations and social distancing.

Italy closed down the hotspots in italy and ignored the provinces that had very few if any cases. Now those province areas have more cases than the previous "hot spots."  If that isn't a lesson for what is going to happen in the US, I don't know what is.  Please read.: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/coronavirus-obituaries-bergamo-italy/2020/03/16/6c342f02-66c7-11ea-b199-3a9799c54512_story.html?fbclid=IwAR0dj4fj9kY_4hiPZ-lLWkTBB6oe0aYcdbrRVMELqLx9VULmSuuRy7GfsuM

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
Well the hoarders may not be very far off the mark after all:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-virus-plan-anticipates-18-190626012.html

The hoarders are partially to blame for artificial shortages, tho. Nobody needs a castle built of toilet paper and pasta. They are forcing others to hoard, too. If I see something is in short supply I am inclined to get it for myself as soon as it's available again.

This so much

Post Merge: March 19, 2020, 10:58:57 AM

Trump has invoked the Defense Production Act: https://www.ksl.com/article/46731542/trump-invokes-emergency-authority-big-3-automakers-closing

It gives him the power to compel factories to expand production to turn out vital materials.

And according to that article: California may be facing martial law.

Tch. President Crap-for-brains strikes again, trying to make himself sound important. Can we send the old turd to a home already and elect someone who has enough intelligence to do the job properly?

Please keep political opinions out of this thread. Government actions regarding coronavirus and your reactions can be discussed but political commentary to this level will be heavily moderated; this is not the thread for this. Thank you for understanding. I want to keep this thread open. I am trying to strike a balance. The media has a heavy spin, so let's exchange truthful information and not polarizing opinions either way. I hope that makes sense. It's an art, not a science.
Dragonfly, MLP Arena Site Admin
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:23:17 PM by dragonfly »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2020, 10:59:43 AM »
I work in the veterinary field.  We are currently no longer seeing anything but emergencies - all wellness/vaccine/routine surgeries are cancelled until further notice.  We are not allowing clients into the clinic.  We are taking histories over the phone and then bringing only the pet into the clinic from the parking lot.  The owners then pay over the phone.  We have 75 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Oregon with over 750 tests pending results.

I woke up with a cough/sore throat and when I called into work I was told a coworker is suspected of being Covid-19 positive and is in quarantine.  I have a video appointment with the doctor this afternoon, so we will see how it goes.   :yikes:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm in Oregon too. I really hoping for you.

As for me, my family's biggest concern right now is preventing the neighbor from getting it. She is very old

Thank you.  I am not so worried about myself, but I am worried about my parents.  They are not young and they both have prior medical problems.  I hope you and your neighbor are able to stay safe!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »
The thing that irks me the most are the greedy people. Several places like a gas station chain are offering free coffee for people working in the health care as a thank you, and people are nagging that they don't get one as well, because they are bus drivers, delivery trucks and personal assistants.. It just baffles me. People in healtchare rarely get the appreciation they deserve and when they get this small token the jealousy of others destroys it :mad:

That's humans for you.
One of my friends was choking on her own tears and getting super dramatic because she wanted to have a big birthday bash but most people cancelled due to the recommendations not to gather in large numbers. Had to bite my tongue because she's gonna have many more birthdays, it's not that big of a deal and quite frankly - who gives a damn. Some people really want to be the exception to the norm. It's not like she would go to a big party now but when it's her own suddenly everyone should ignore the recs.

This is how I feel about my graduation. I mean, it will be sad if it doesn't happen, but if it has to be cancelled in the summer to ensure that this country gets through the outbreak and the people people care about are safe then who cares, really? It doesn't change the fact I have the qualification.

I am not sure about the # of cases here today, the John Hopkins figures look distinctly low for my mind and I feel like maybe England's numbers didn't make it and that's all Scotland, Wales and NI...

The thing is as someone said on tv yesterday, all the figures are 7-14 days out of date because of incubation periods anyway. So even if you don't think there is a case local to you, they might not have shown symptoms yet. And that is why even if you shut down, it takes time for the lockdown measures to take effect. So I guess this is the reason it is important to do it and maintain it.

London is a big problem here with more than a third of the cases alone. I am not sure about other cities. Still somewhat concerned about sister in Oxford, she says it's not good there.

...Gripe of the day, the selfish people who are booking up delivery slots for food delivery (although they are not isolating) 'just in case', when there are people in the high risk group who actually need to use them.

I actually had some things on order with Asda for monday and I managed to amend my order to add some stuff for my parents as well which, hopefully, if in stock, will tide things over and calm things down - but delivery slots right now are at earliest for 3 weeks from now.

...How are older people meant to stop in, then, when all the younger healthy people have slots booked 'in case' they need them?

And moreover, when the shelves are still empty of certain items, who is it still stockpiling them?

Also rumours of the army on the street locking things down here = fake news. Military medics have been mobilised and the army is prepared in case they need to take over security details to free up police - but this is not a country where deploying the military happens lightly, and images being shared on Social Media are not of British troops (wrong plates/driving on the right instead of the left). Film of riots - also fake news. Summer footage probably from the riots in 2011, which were in August.

Everyone please stay as safe as you can.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:23:40 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2020, 11:30:37 AM »
More info on the travel survey my workplace asked all employees to fill out.  It turns out that they just want to know if their employees traveled by plane, cruise ship or to the high risk infection areas.

I am self isolating and only going out if absolutely necessary.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »
34 cases in my state now. And there's worries the virus may be in Shawnee county (state capitol), but they don't have enough test kits to really see if it is. Some are getting refused when asking for the test. I hope not because half of the workforce at my job comes from Topeka (especially my shift), and if a shelter in place order get's issued, that might result in a shutdown.

Art source: https://dstears.tumblr.com/post/613032294491602944/its-like-ive-been-training-for-this-my-whole

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »
Opinions are fine but:

NO FEAR MONGERING

Overly political posts will be removed without warning

This is for sharing REAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR SITUATION / WHAT'S HAPPENING IN YOUR LOCATION

Because of what is rapidly developing situations worldwide, I plan to do the following:

Lock and link this thread as an archive over the weekend.
I will begin a new weekly updates thread each each week for us to share & discuss new developments so things don't get lost.
I'll link to the old threads.

Thank you.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »
I'm in the vet field too.  We finally put up signs saying wait in your car until we have a room for you, but nobody is reading them.  This week has been nuts.  we have been so busy.  And no one thanks us for putting ourselves at risk so they can get a freaking nail trim or rabies vaccine.  Tomorrow and Saturday are booked.  A family of five brought a new puppy in today for wellness check.  The kids are sneezing and coughing, won't stay in the exam room, coughing all over the lobby.  Why didn't one parent stay home with the kids?  Because everyone wants to go to the vet with the cute puppy in the middle of a pandemic, right?  Selfish people.  I'm getting so stressed and frustrated, and its only going to get worse.  Our confirmed cases jumped by 100 cases from yesterday, and ten deaths now since it started.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
Starting tomorrow all restaurants will be carry out/takeout only. Libraries will also be closed. Gyms and bars are also closed.

Banks are open but my bank is not doing in person transactions.

All public schools are closed until April 3rd and most likely will just do online learning for the rest of the year.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2020, 05:19:17 PM »
All Non-Life sustaining business have been ordered to close in PA.
Got my copy of ACNH, not complaining on that front.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
Well, I am staying at my home through the weekend.  I am too young to get tested, but the doctor said to be cautious.  She said I could possibly go back to work by the 23rd, but if my symptoms worsen I am to go physically go to the doctor for treatment/medication.  My chest has gotten tighter throughout the day, so I am not super hopeful that I will be back to work.  Thankfully I have a full pantry and my pets have full food stores as well.  I won't be able to see my horse through at least the weekend, however. :(

Oregon has also closed the state parks to camping and groups.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2020, 05:25:44 PM »
My county in Wisconsin just got it's first case today, however I think it's been here since Chicago blew up in cases because we are only 2 hours away.

Spent my day sewing homemade face masks for whenever I need to go grocery shopping or need meds  :yikes: I'm not leaving my house as long as possible. I was last out on the 15th and I still feel when I was at the grocery store I was too exposed we shall see in another 9 days  >_<
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2020, 05:27:23 PM »
Well, let's see.

I guess the big things to mention were national guard is out and about now helping with food and supply distributions to foodbanks and rural areas. I'm hearing the chinooks constantly due to my location.

A firm not yet to "shelter-in-place" order. Sigh. I wish he'd go ahead and do it. He does however everyone to follow it on their own. But ya know, people...

But the bad news there is a suspected case at the gojo factory where they make purell. :( I'm hoping more distilleries can get into making hand sanitizer. 

Our school district handed out our learning "packet" (aka book) today. I'm not sure how all districts are handling it. Our teacher seemed exhausted. :(

After I pick up from Target tomorrow.. (you know, animal crossing and other stuff). I think we are good to stay in for a long time unless there's extremely important things... I think we might have to go to the hospital early April still.

All Non-Life sustaining business have been ordered to close in PA.
Got my copy of ACNH, not complaining on that front.
yay! right under the wire. >_<;
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:29:49 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
432 cases and 9 deaths total today. My county is still standing at one case.

Local animal shelters are in need of fosters. Some have waived adoption fees. Gas stations are starting to go full service so you don't have to get out of your car and touch the pump.

The majority of beaches - still open! -_-

We live next to a main busy road and my bedroom is the closest. Usually it's non-stop traffic noises, sometimes being very disruptive. The last few days it's been eerily quiet. There are still a lot of trucks and the occasional person blasting music but traffic has dropped significantly.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2020, 07:30:17 PM »
Went to Tesco website & April 8th is their earliest delivery slot... I also hope delivery gets sorted soon. I mean, now I have to run the gauntlet to my local Co-op as sharing a car in this climate is a no-no??? Oh & forget the bus too. Pasta is gone except the instant packet stuff, my usual cereal (bran flakes) is all out, & assorted other stuff is gone too, including tinned soups.

Not a good time to be a depressive ASD wi social anxiety...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal