collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Original Price of G1 Ponies?  (Read 1316 times)

senni

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Original Price of G1 Ponies?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
G1 ponies were fairly expensive back in the 80s in Finland... I don't remember any figures, but I used to mark all the toys I wanted from a big catalogue, and I remember thinking I would probably not get any ponies because they cost more then the other toys. And I ended up with four ponies total over the years, no more, and no playsets either. My friends also had just a few ponies if any, and maybe one had a Pretty Parlour.

Offline Caroline

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 01:50:58 AM »
G1 ponies were fairly expensive back in the 80s in Finland... I don't remember any figures, but I used to mark all the toys I wanted from a big catalogue, and I remember thinking I would probably not get any ponies because they cost more then the other toys. And I ended up with four ponies total over the years, no more, and no playsets either. My friends also had just a few ponies if any, and maybe one had a Pretty Parlour.

I have some old ads stashed away, if I remember correctly adults were 49.90 Finnish Marks and babies 39.90. That's about 8e and 7e, respectively, but as others have said you could get loads more for that amount of money than you can these days.

Come to think of it, I should get my old clippings online one of these days, someone besides me might find them fun...

senni

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »

I have some old ads stashed away, if I remember correctly adults were 49.90 Finnish Marks and babies 39.90. That's about 8e and 7e, respectively, but as others have said you could get loads more for that amount of money than you can these days.

Come to think of it, I should get my old clippings online one of these days, someone besides me might find them fun...

Yes please do! Old adverts are fun :) My weekly allowance was 10 marks (in the 90s) so 50 mk is quite a lot!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 04:51:40 AM »
Thanks for all of the information everyone!   :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 05:39:37 AM »

Myrskytär (a Finnish collector) has some great information about ponies sold in Finland as well as prices in Finnish marks when applicable; here's a link. If you want to take inflation into account when converting FIM prices to EUR, this calculator could be of use. In the first field ("vuosi") insert year and in "markkaa" the original sum in FIM. For example, 49 FIM in 1986 seem to correspond to 15,12 € in 2012.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:29 AM »
 I still have price tags on a lot of my backcards I'd have to check to get accurate amount. I can't remember offhand but I think the cheapest might be $3.94 or something like that.

I'd say single ponies depending on year you purchased, which store you purchased it from and what pony you were buying would change the amount.

But, I'd say it's safe to say for single ponies the price in the USA back in the 80's was between $3 and $10.

Babies with accessories tended to be more, just single ponies between $3 and $6. But like I said, depending on year, which store and which pony. I remember Dream Beauties were around $10-13 depending on store. Some toy stores like KB had a higher markup, also k-mart tended to be more expensive than say, ToysRUs, etc.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:14:27 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
How I wish I could go back in time :P
My Wish List

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »
Wouldn't you love to buy a Mimic for $3.96 . . . or a Crumpet . . . :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
Ooooh...found them :)

Here are a range of price examples.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline starflyer425

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:56 AM »
Wouldn't you love to buy a Mimic for $3.96 . . . or a Crumpet . . . :)
sometimes i wish i could go back in time and buy all those old g1s and other toys without ebay and outrageous pricing! mimic for 4 bucks, i would faint... :faint:

Avatar credit to BotchanMLP on DeviantArt, and the Starflyer equestria girl is by LordBlumiere here on the arena!

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
My cousin told me they were the about the same price as single G4 Brushables today! So about $4-5?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal