collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Definitely the most I've ever paid for an empty shoebox...  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
Re: Definitely the most I've ever paid for an empty shoebox...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 09:54:56 AM »
*squeals*  LUCKY!!!

I love it!  What is it from?

Looks like the box to the UK sneakers/runners.  There were also roller-skates but that was a larger box I believe.

Yes I think so too. It had the sticker with the size on the outside, but fortunately the glue had dried up and it came right off.
Still trying to figure out what to keep it. I'm thinking merchandise as I don't really have many accessories

*edit for quote fail*
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:59:27 AM by Sebby6 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »
So pretty! I bought mib g1 shoes (never worn, like someone just pulled the box out the back of a shoe store) and the person shipped it shoe box wrapped in brown paper. The box got kind of crushed. Upsetting memory!

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Harabel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »
Omg, the shoebox is so lovely!!  :lovey: definitively worth it!

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
Beautiful!!! Great purchase!!!

Jules x

Offline pickwick_pirate

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
I love how we are all genuinely getting excited over a shoe box ... The most pretty shoe box ever. Congrats! :D

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
Congrats on getting this, this is very neat and quite unique as well.

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »
Seriously amazeballs!!! Congrats my sweet! :lovey:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
That is so cool! :) Congrats!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »
*squeals*  LUCKY!!!

I love it!  What is it from?

Looks like the box to the UK sneakers/runners.  There were also roller-skates but that was a larger box I believe.

Yes I think so too. It had the sticker with the size on the outside, but fortunately the glue had dried up and it came right off.
Still trying to figure out what to keep it. I'm thinking merchandise as I don't really have many accessories

*edit for quote fail*

Honestly, I'd probably use it as a riser for a pony display - like I would find a slightly smaller box that fits inside, and have ponies stand on top of that, then keep the lid standing up to the side of the box, so that art could be displayed as well! Bonus, you could still use the hidden inside box for storage.

I wonder if there's some kind of sealer you could use on the cardboard to help preserve it?

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 10:54:03 PM »
Oh wow, how cool. I wasn't sure what to expect when I was waiting for the pic to load.  That is an awesome piece of merch Seb!  Congrats and thanks for sharing :D

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 01:55:33 AM »
So cool that this is still in existence! Great find! Huge congrats!

Offline CapnChan

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Me, Ponies, and the Devil make Three
    • View Profile
Re: Definitely the most I\'ve ever paid for an empty shoebox...
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
So adorable! And I've never seen it. Can you give us a hint on the price range? Admittedly I thought your title implied someone scammed you and only shipped an empty box, because that has actually happened to me before :P

Post Merge: December 10, 2015, 09:14:23 PM

Honestly, I'd probably use it as a riser for a pony display - like I would find a slightly smaller box that fits inside, and have ponies stand on top of that, then keep the lid standing up to the side of the box, so that art could be displayed as well! Bonus, you could still use the hidden inside box for storage.

I wonder if there's some kind of sealer you could use on the cardboard to help preserve it?

A riser is a good idea! What about puzzle sealant? I use it for paper projects much thinner than typical cardboard and it works just great, but given how good of condition that shoe box is, I would just keep it out of UV light and near a humidifier.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:14:23 PM by CapnChan »
Current wantlist:
Sandcastles and Shovels, UK G3 Snow'el (loose), Splish, Splash and Splosh, Sunbright Family

Ask what I have for sell or trade! Have G1 merch? Sell unto meeee :D

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Definitely the most I\'ve ever paid for an empty shoebox...
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »
So adorable! And I've never seen it. Can you give us a hint on the price range? Admittedly I thought your title implied someone scammed you and only shipped an empty box, because that has actually happened to me before :P

A riser is a good idea! What about puzzle sealant? I use it for paper projects much thinner than typical cardboard and it works just great, but given how good of condition that shoe box is, I would just keep it out of UV light and near a humidifier.

Don't use sealant.  Not only are you compromising the original integrity of the object, introducing more chemicals to a composite material is a recipe for disaster.  The only time it's acceptable to add glue or sealant is when /not/ doing so would be imminently detrimental to the original or is necessary for the object to serve its function in a collection; i.e. piecing back together a vase because nobody wants to look at 3,000 tiny pieces and try to guess what it once was. 

Your box has held up just fine for this long as-is, so leave it be.  Less is more in the conservation world.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline CapnChan

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Me, Ponies, and the Devil make Three
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 11:35:21 PM »

Don't use sealant.  Not only are you compromising the original integrity of the object, introducing more chemicals to a composite material is a recipe for disaster.  The only time it's acceptable to add glue or sealant is when /not/ doing so would be imminently detrimental to the original or is necessary for the object to serve its function in a collection; i.e. piecing back together a vase because nobody wants to look at 3,000 tiny pieces and try to guess what it once was. 

Your box has held up just fine for this long as-is, so leave it be.  Less is more in the conservation world.

Yup, I mentioned it was in good enough condition to maintain. Though, I have not personally experienced any negative effects of using puzzle sealant. I have a framed 1974 puzzle that my dad made when he came back from Vietnam. He steam peeled off the paper to each piece and then compiled each piece over a wooden frame and sealed it so you couldn't see the jigsaw seams. I've had it hanging in direct sunlight my entire life and it still looks pristine. I also do this with my G1 MLP puzzles (only if I have an extra, I prefer to keep one mint), and they are still holding up. Not saying I don't agree and anyone should be cautious, but I don't personally see any harm. In this particular case, as aforementioned, I would just leave it as original as possible.
Current wantlist:
Sandcastles and Shovels, UK G3 Snow'el (loose), Splish, Splash and Splosh, Sunbright Family

Ask what I have for sell or trade! Have G1 merch? Sell unto meeee :D

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 04:03:10 AM »
Wow, the condition of that box...so minty.

I have the same box from my childhood, but it has long since lost the lid and is no longer box-shaped, with a lot of damage. It was a box for some trainers (US: Sneakers) that were, if I remember right, pink canvas with rainbows on.. and whiteish cream soles. I don't think I still have the shoes, sadly, but I remember after I outgrew them I stuck a face on the bottom of one to make it a hand puppet (!?), so I think that's right. Can't remember what pony/ies were on it though, sadly.

Seeing yours is so nice because now I know how mine once looked, before it lived with me for so long. How that box survived so nicely is a mystery, but super congrats. My wrecked old one is one of my childhood treasures, because the art is so beautiful, and I totally understand why you were willing to pay a lot for it!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:05:32 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal