collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Excited to begin first custom!  (Read 426 times)

biologistkid

• Trade Count: (0)
Excited to begin first custom!
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
So I work at Meijer, a chain of stores in the Midwest. They sell the MLP Blindbags and carry most of the Brushables. Right now they have the wedding fashion ponies of Luna and Celestia, and I am tempted to get those... but that is beside the point!

Recently I became interested in custom ponies (just for my own personal collection) and decided to make a Firefly, as I find her very cute but find the G1 pony molds... somewhat frightening.

Scored a Diamond Rose today (I know most people prefer to use the Mane 6 as G4 bait, but considering how many of her we have at our store, and my employee discount, I saw no reason to bring myself the struggles of painting over Rainbow Dash's blue pelt). Since she's a nice white base, I think it'll be pretty easy to get the pink color just so for a Firefly custom.

Even managed to grab RIT dye and all of the supplies needed to dye the plastic, along with some glitter and rhinestones (in case I decide to bling her up a bit - I do want to make a ribbon collar for her, as most G4 ponies, including customs, have some issues with head-neck attachment/seams). And all for less than $20 - which leaves me plenty of spending money to ship in the lovely aqua-blue hair that matches the original Firefly pony's mane and tail.

Saw Cherry Pie while I was looking, too, but decided not to grab her. But now I know where they are and can go back tomorrow after work if I change my mind and decide to grab a couple of spares for collecting or resale / trade. :D

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
Re: Excited to begin first custom!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:02:06 PM »
It sounds like you have had a lot of pony luck lately.  Good luck with your custom :)

biologistkid

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Thank you very much!
And yes, I feel very lucky to have had the fortune I've been having with these ponies as of late. It's exciting!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
I am excited for you! I would love to do a G4 custom, they look like fun and there is less hair rooting business than with a G3, so it will probably go by quicker. :) Make sure to post her in the customs forum when you are done, I would love to see!!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »
Good luck! The only thing I'll say is I have not had luck getting a g4 to take rit dye.  When I tried (on a blind bag) the color was uneven and it didn't take at the seams even though I cleaned it really well.  So it's really smart of you to be preparing for that. ;)

I can't wait to see it when you are done!
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

biologistkid

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
@StarDragon - aah, thank you! I have already started the hair-rooting and it went very quickly. The tail was out in one piece and the hair only needed a smidge of acetone to break up some of the glue.

@Sarahlacewing - I am not sure if the bling-bag ponies are made of the same plastic composition as the large brushables, but I will keep that in mind, thank you! Luckily the supplies for the RIT dye aren't too expensive, so if it doesn't go so well, I can get some paint and a bottle of clearcoat without hurting my budget any.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
Congrats and best of luck, you can always ask in the custom forum if anyone has any issue dieing the G4's.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
Congrats, that's exciting!  :)  Can't wait to see your customs
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:27 AM »
Congrats on starting your first custom!  So exciting!  Do show us the results!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
Careful, once you start down the dark path, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice...  ;)
Seriously, it does get addicting.  But in a good way.
:socks:   :frog:

biologistkid

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I've finished the hair rooting and I've already taken off her cutie mark and eyes with a little bit of acetone! I'm a little disappointed because there was a small dark spot on her side (factory error, I assume?) that I thought was just dirt, but it won't rub off. It was hidden behind the Applebuck Season disc that came with her, so I couldn't see it to check the other girls at the store. Drat. Ah, well, now I know. Maybe when I'm done dyeing her and I've got her cutie mark and the ribbons I have planned to make for her (one for her neck and maybe a small one for her tail to match the one television Firefly had) it will be covered up. And if not - oh well, she's only my first!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal