collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: [CLOSED - resolved (yay!) ] Suspect shipping charge practices on ebay?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Nimrodel

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
I recently won two pony auctions from the same person on ebay.  I paid for the first right away (shipping included), not being sure that I'd win the other auction which ended well after I went to sleep.  Both auctions stated $3.04 each in shipping charges. 

Well, I won the second auction, and right away the next morning I received this message from the seller:

"Hiya! I'll send you a combined shipping wrote tomorrow and subtract the shipping amount that you already paid. :-)  "

I was like awesome, what a great seller, now I can still get combined shipping and it will be less!  Yay! 

I was so totally wrong.  Later that day I received an invoice for the second auction, with a shipping charge of $4.83, which is $1.83 more than the $3.04 that was originally stated in the auction.  No, an additional $2 is not much, but it's still more than what was originally stated in the auction!  How can a seller get away with charging MORE in shipping than what the original auction states?

She does state in her auction "The eBay shipping calculator is often wrong, so please wait to pay until I have sent you an invoice."  And yes, I read that, and never once did I think that it would be more than the stated amount.  Why would a seller state a lesser shipping amount in the auction, and then raise it?  Wouldn't it be a better practice if you're unsure of how to use the ebay calculator, to state a higher shipping amount, and then charge less?  It's like a bait and switch tactic.

I feel a little like I've been "had."  Has anyone else had a situation like this?  What should I do? 
 :( >_< -_-
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:40:09 PM by Nimrodel »
I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker - J. Alfred Prufrock

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Suspect shipping charge practices on ebay???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »
The rules for sellers states that they can only charge for actual shipping costs, extra services (i.e. insurance, tracking, etc.), and reasonable handling fees.  http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

The shipping calculator is notorious for giving wrong estimates.  When in doubt, message the seller directly to have them give you a quote.  If they tell you it will cost $X, then you can hold them to it. 

I've found, from personal experience, that if the correct weight and dimensions of the item are not added to the listing, then the estimated shipping cost will most certainly be wrong.  A lot of sellers do not add this information to their listings - in fact, I don't think it's even a requirement unless you offer international shipping.

Yes, I agree with you that it's a better practice for sellers to over estimate shipping costs.  At least, that's what I try to do.  Then again, some sellers may think this may scare away bidders.

I don't think the seller is trying to squeeze you for extra cash, so don't feel like you've been "had."  I doubt the seller is sitting at her desk going "Muwhaha, another sucker!  Cha-ching!"  ;) 

Personally, I would pay it.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
It sounds like she was giving you the shipping for BOTH auctions in that second auction instead of the half like she promised. I would just send her a polite message reminding her she promised you a cheaper shipping option for combined shipping. She probably just made a mistake and forgot you had already paid for the first auction.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
It sounds like she was giving you the shipping for BOTH auctions in that second auction instead of the half like she promised. I would just send her a polite message reminding her she promised you a cheaper shipping option for combined shipping. She probably just made a mistake and forgot you had already paid for the first auction.
Oops, I missed this!  This is probably what happened :)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
While I was typing my response bluerose basically said it. :) Hopefully that's what the seller is doing!

Offline Nimrodel

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
I messaged the seller, thinking the same thing, but that is unfortunately not the case.  She said that she knew I had already paid the initial shipping and that the total shipping for both auctions would be more than originally stated in both auctions, so instead of $6.08 ($3.04 for each), the total comes to $7.91.

I just think the practice of stating an amount for shipping, and then increasing it after the end of the auction is wrong.  No, I'm sure she's not sitting in front of her screen going "Muwhaha, another sucker!  Cha-ching!" but can you honestly say that this is not a deceitful practice?  And were you in my situation and had purchased something on ebay for a specific amount, would you not be taken aback if they suddenly increased the amount?

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »
Is this within the US? Being sent priority? Or first class? Are they loose or moc?

I'm a G1 seller and it only costs a couple bucks for me to send a pony anywhere in the US first class in a bubble mailer.

This sounds fishy but I don't know all the details.

Offline Nimrodel

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
It is within the U.S., not sure how it's being sent though.  Hmm, that's a really good idea though, I'll message and see if she can send it the cheapest way possible, and then maybe she'll lower the shipping back down.  Thank you bluerose9978!  You may have just solved my issue.   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:01:27 AM by Nimrodel »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »
Yes, I would check and see if the auction is being shipped by Priority or what.  Are the auctions each for one pony?  Or are they for groups of ponies?

Two ponies don't weigh much, but if they are sent by Priority mail then $7.91 sounds about right (depending how far they're going).

Hope all goes well and you resolve this with the seller.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 10:31:32 AM »
I am pretty sure Ebay doesn't allow you to increase shipping after the auction, if an amount is specifically listed in the auction. Even if the quote is wrong.

Mind you, all kinds of weird goes on with shipping cost nowadays. I saw an auction for a SINGLE PONY the other day being sold from Germany, which apparently meant that shipping to the UK would be 45 Euros, which was MORE than shipping to the US, even though Germany is an EU country, so is the UK, and I know full well that it does NOT cost 45Euros to ship one pony from there to here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
Yep, not allowed.

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »
Don't even get me started on eBay shipping!  GAH!  It's ridiculous.  I list my occasional eBay items with free shipping and increase my auction price accordingly.  It's just not worth the hassle to the sellers and the buyers.  What a mess!  Hope you get it sorted!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
Unfortunately since the seller was using eBay's calculated shipping,  the shipping costs they enter take priority over the calculated shipping costs, and the buyer is charged the amount that they enter. It's not against eBay's policies to do this, as long as she was using the calculated shipping option.

Hopefully she is willing to perhaps ship it a cheaper way and offer you a partial for your over payment. If she doesn't then make a note that at $7.91, that it does indeed come Priority Mail.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Nimrodel

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
Unfortunately since the seller was using eBay's calculated shipping,  the shipping costs they enter take priority over the calculated shipping costs, and the buyer is charged the amount that they enter. It's not against eBay's policies to do this, as long as she was using the calculated shipping option.

Hopefully she is willing to perhaps ship it a cheaper way and offer you a partial for your over payment. If she doesn't then make a note that at $7.91, that it does indeed come Priority Mail.

How can you tell if the seller is using eBay's calculated shipping?  Is there some way I can check so that I know in the future?

And I'm not sure that was the case, because she said that she weighed the item and put it into USPS's site, and that's how she came up with the increased cost. 

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:59:19 PM by Nimrodel »

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
I am saying that because you quoted a part from her listing that says she uses eBay's calculator. *bolded part is by me*

She does state in her auction "The eBay shipping calculator is often wrong, so please wait to pay until I have sent you an invoice."  And yes, I read that, and never once did I think that it would be more than the stated amount.  Why would a seller state a lesser shipping amount in the auction, and then raise it?  Wouldn't it be a better practice if you're unsure of how to use the ebay calculator, to state a higher shipping amount, and then charge less?  It's like a bait and switch tactic.

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal