collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 45280 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Oooh thanks for all the pics, Esbayne! Great review ^^ The G3 girls are definitely growing on me. Clawdeen looks so YOUNG though!! It's really noticeable in your pic of her with the rest of the wolf pack - she's adorable but she looks like Clawdeen's younger sister, or even just a younger ver of Clawdeen herself. It's weird since no one else really looks younger (G3 Toralei looks older than her G1 counterpart, IMO) so idk what happened there...

I love your Toralei redress. :3 Definitely need to get my paws on her. and your Alivia redress is soooo cute omg *w*

I hadn't seen the Polaroid + photos before! That's awesome! I do really like the accessories in this gen.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
That display is epic, Esbayne :) I have three shelves behind glass for my jem dolls (which needs some fixing since Roxy has fallen over again, sigh), but my MH dolls are miserable in comparison - they have one shelf and the end of another and that's about it. I'm in the process of downsizing them, though.

On the new dolls. I like Clawdeen's hair. I've never owned Clawdeen, because even though I liked her as a character, I never felt like her doll reached out to me. I'm not sure this one does either, but the hair is a nice change for me personally.

The new Cleo is quite pretty too. Lala's face looks kind of odd, though it might be the angle of the photo. The size difference between them is a bit jarring as well.

Toralei's expression weirds me out, as does the decision to include her in the main line over Ghoulia who I believe is a store exclusive. Not that I'm interested in G3 Ghoulia for reasons expressed above that I won't repeat. Not to make a pun or anything but 'she's dead to me' :P

I agree that these seem more an evolution from G2 than a flip back to G1.

What's nice, though, is the attention to detail and small accessories. That's something from G1 which I think is important.

My main problems with G2 were the way they tried to make them 'less scary', the neutral themes rather than spooky ones, the unnecessary siblings/children/family aspect that we didn't need after years of just accepting that Lala is 1600 and Frankie an unspecified number of days old). I really liked the Lagoona and Rochelle dolls, though. I've reaffirmed that opinion since sorting my shelf because even though the faces are not quite the same, Rochelle was always cute and the both of them in G1 suffer so badly from hair goop which, despite all my attempts, was a battle I've never won with any doll.

The lack of Rochelle (so far) and the changing of Lagoona's colouring is kind of a blow for me.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
First off:
Howliday xmas Draculaura doll, looks like she's G1 style?
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2736-monster-high-howliday-winter-edition-draculaura-doll.html
Basically like those fancy Christmas Barbies. I don't think she's exclusive to anywhere.

Also, a new playset has shown up, Clawdeen's bedroom!
https://amzn.to/3fCFSEN
It's really pretty, but not a patch on the bunk beds she had in G1. I think it'd look cooler if it had a curtain/canopy or something.
Interestingly, the little photo accessories seem to show prototypes of the dolls, inc. BLUE LAGOONA?!? What!!! She looks SO much better, omg. Interesting that Draculaura has her sunhat here too, like the other proto we saw. Not sure if it's the same doll as that proto, or if it's an in-between model. Hmmmm.

Re: Taffeta - Toralei is a store exclusive too, as is Deuce. Deuce = Amazon, Toralei = Walmart, Ghoulia = Target.
I hope the girls at least show up here in the UK eventually (I imagine Deuce'll just be an Amazon exclusive here too? maybe he'll show up at TK Maxx, I've seen some other Amazon exclusive dolls turn up there in the past). ASDA usually got the Walmart exclusives but I'm not sure if we got all of the Target MHs or not :s Argos got some of them and I think Smyths got some too? Not sure.
I suspect Ghoulia's a store exclusive since her G1 dolls tended to shelfwarm, I could see them being worried about history repeating itself and deciding to play it safe by keeping her to one shop.

My problem w/ G2 was that it was all too same-y. I remember seeing a post by Garrett Sander where he said that's why basically why he left, he didn't like how they were going against the concept of the brand ("be yourself, be unique, be a monster"). So far G3 feels like they're at least trying to keep that idea in mind, it's closer to the original idea than G2, but it's still a bit too "soft" for me. Which is not necessarily bad, I mean... I love Enchantimals and they're just fluff :lol: But I generally want a bit more 'bite' from MH, you know?

I loved the idea of younger sibling dolls (the molds themselves were a bit hit or miss) but I didn't like how they just threw new characters into the mix willy-nilly and ignored the established family set-ups (how the heck could Cleo have a baby sibling?!?!). Plus it was weird how the siblings often didn't even match the pre-existing characters, like Clawdeen's siblings being much more wolf-like and Draculaura's little sister having bat wings??

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
I am all for Christmas themed dolls, especially if they are G1 themed, looking forward to seeing more in the style!

I dearly hope the Reel Monster dolls come over to the UK, I still really want them and if they are at Smyths that would be great as I would love to toy-hunt in person again. I'll brave the Christmas rush for my ghouls!

I still don't feel this gen, especially with Lagoona and Toralei, but again I might be persuaded if Abbey or Catty show up. I think I'm going to be that annoying fan that is purely G1!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
As a Ghoulia fan who owns almost every release I am disappointed. She looks bland. I know common criticism of G1 was she looked harsh and mean. I thought it gave her character. This new Gen has her looking like a generic backgrounder. Ugh that skirt bleh
I didn’t really care about the main girls previously, besides Ghoulia I had 1 Clawdeen and 1 Cleo. I was into the more monstery dolls with scales and bones and multiple limbs. So I find it strange how into this Draculaura I am. Changing her height and shape made her really cute to me. I like her style.
Despite my Ghoulia disappointment I think this new Gen is overall pretty cute and fits in with current doll aesthetics. Like the thicker bodies, always thought the original were just a tad too spindle-y. Love the chest joint. Not sure I will get into the media as that never was a thing for me previously.
Looking forward to seeing what else they do.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
If Toralei is also a store exclusive that makes some sense, although it still feels like Ghoulia is in that odd awkward place where she's part of the main group and yet somehow not part of it at the same time? Which is admittedly how she was treated in the original line, but always felt a bit odd to me.

The only Ghoulia I ever remember seeing in stores was the one with Slo Mo, though, and that was only because Brent TRU sometimes pulled older stock out to clear it and you'd find 4 different ILF releases side by side. Thinking back it feels as though they were withdrawing Ghoulia from the line even before G2 happened. It never occurred to me much before this, but it does seem that way.

I'm still torn about whether I'm happy she's back or sad she is given the changes.

I think the Howliday Lala looks pretty G2/3 to me. I was doing a comparison with Esbayne's picture and that's how it appears.

Speaking of altered dolls in G1, it will be interesting to see if we see Spectra again. Going through my dolls I was reminded of the weirdness over the Shriekwrecked (? - ghost special narrative) line Spectra who had two different facial expressions. Then there was Ari in G2 instead of Spectra, so I'm curious to see whether that's another character who comes back with a new look.

Do we know why they decided to go pink with Lagoona BLUE? :/

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I haven’t been active in quite awhile, but I had to see what my fellow G1 peeps are thinking. :heart: (I was mascarah on MH Arena if anyone remembers me, lol.) I’m loving some dolls (Clawdeen! And Draculaura’s body sculpt) but not persuaded by others (Ghoulia almost looks like Frankie in the face?).

Do we know why they decided to go pink with Lagoona BLUE? :/
This is my burning question. It startled me!

I have been doing a lot of Halloween decor hunting (too much, probably :lookround:) the past couple months, and I always check the toy section of Walmart, Target, and Kroger. I don’t think they’re in my area yet. I’m just chomping at the bit and want to see them in person.  :satisfied: I know I’m not alone.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Yesss Mascarah I remember you!! :D I miss the MH Arena.

I think Ghoulia looks too similar to Frankie, too.. and I do think they started sort of phasing her out in G1, or at least using her less than they maybe originally intended to. I think I said this before, but I suspect it has something to do with Skull Shores Ghoulia - that one shelfwarmed everywhere (not even kidding - I remember seeing MULTIPLE photos of shelves full of JUST that doll, hell I think I TOOK a photo like that myself. And I've heard she turns up at yard sales etc a lot too) - I think after that, they maybe started considering her a 'risky' character that didn't sell as well. idk how to word it, hopefully that makes sense. personally I think that was just a prob w/ that particular doll and not the character... but what do I know. *shrug* I think the character was always present in G1 but I did notice them scaling back on her dolls after a while.

I saw a screenshot from the new cartoon thing the other day that had Spectra! And designs are floating around for Clawd, Abbey and I think Manny Taur too - I've seen a description of the cartoon that has a bio for him, and I've seen a pic of a minotaur-looking dude, but that char looks SO different to OG Manny that I'm not sure if it's meant to be him or not... I didn't post the Clawd/Abbey designs since I wasn't 100% sure if they were official or not, I think they were though. I'll admit, I never really paid attention to any of the media apart from the diaries, I haven't really been keeping up with them this gen either. :s But yeah Spectra's back, apparently.

And Lagoona Pink is driving me insane!!! Especially since it looks like they changed her halfway through - the Clawdeen's bedroom playset has some little Polaroid photo accessories that clearly show a BLUE Lagoona. :| I'd bet it's stupid toymaker logic "we need to make it pink or it won't sell!!!" - like pink Princess Celestia - that's usually why chars randomly change colour. -___- They changed her so much that I honestly don't know why they didn't just make her a new character altogether.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I wonder if they'll do a gimmick with 'Goona, like when she goes in water she changes colour??

Could you share the Abbey design? I think I've seen the Manny one in passing

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
I couldn't find the Manny one again, but here are Abbey/Clawd:

Spoiler

Dunno if there's better quality versions out there, this is all I've seen

Also I found the article that confirms Spectra + others are coming back:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nickelodeon-and-mattel-debut-sneak-peek-and-key-art-for-monster-high-all-new-animated-series-premiering-friday-oct-28-301632608.html
I'll quote the relevant bits here:
Valeria Rodriquez (The Valley of Tears) as Spectra Vondergeist – This ghostly girl makes up for her translucent appearance by being super chatty. She just wants to be seen!
Scott Menville (Teen Titans Go!) as Romulus – Romulus is the current head of the were pack at Monster High, though he's still got a bit of learning and growing to do.
Cole Massie (Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers) as Finnegan Wake – Charming and chill, Finnegan is a merman who uses a wheelchair to get around on land. He has a beautiful singing voice, just like his aunties, the sirens.
Victoria T Washington (Dropouts) as Howleen – Howleen is a natural leader who values integrity over the pack mindset and always speaks her mind.
Jordan R. Coleman (A Million Little Things) as Manny Taur – Big, bull-headed Manny looks like a brute, but he's the gentlest kid at school. With his penchant for solving puzzles, he's one of the only students that can compete with Draculaura for honors as a top student.
Krystina Alabado (Sesame Street Mecha Builders) as Nefera De Nile – Nefera is the mummy who has it all – beauty, popularity, royalty, and a heart of gold (literally, she dipped her heart in gold and keeps it in a jar).

Howleen not being referred to as "Howleen Wolf" has me worried she won't be Clawdeen's sister here..... And Manny sounds like a real "in name only" thing. :/

Also more new dolls!

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2740-new-2023-monster-high-innovation-series-1-skulltimate-secrets-dolls.html

Did the other girls have birthdays before? I know Draculaura's bday being Feb 14th is from G1 but I don't remember anyone else getting birthdays.
Frankie's hat is... interesting *cough* and this Cleo reminds me of Chel from Road to El Dorado. Lagoona looks better than her sig doll, but I still don't like those forehead scales... Draculaura's okay, I guess.

but OMG I love this Clawdeen!! Very pretty, I really want her. She's the first G3 doll I've gone "OMG I really want this!!" over.
Also if you look closely, Hissette is on one of the pictures on Cleo's locker, next to her new pet Tut!! So Hissette's still around? :O Intrigued to find out what's up with that!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
NEFERA has a HEART OF GOLD? ... Did Nefera write that???

And ... eh, Howleen DID speak her mind but she was no leader, she was just an irritable kid trying to find her voice and look whilst being one of many siblings, I felt that side was better sounding than this so far.

Nice leather daddy had Frankie lol

Those shoulder bows are awful, the REAL Cleo would never

Frankie just looks ... CHEAP in that new look? Like she looks too bright and plastic?

I'm not liking that Abbey one bit so far, they all look so young and that's pretty offputting. I know the dolls got some flack for looking more mature than the girls were supposed to be, but that's kinda the point; high schoolers look grown-up to younger kids, hell it's a recurring theme that Howleen wants to seem more grown up than she actually is.

EDIT: Those are her TUSKS not FANGS, dios mio, don't mislabel my girl okay. They came from her lower jaw and notably curved upward, she's the only monster I can think of that had tusks (werewolves and vampires had fangs, Venus had upper and lower fangs)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:15:54 AM by Lady Frostbite »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Meh, I'm still not moved on these. Clawdeen's hair is pretty but I still don't feel inspired by any of them. I noticed Cleo has the G2 leg style design still. Lala's face still bothers me. Lagoona's hair increasingly reminds me of Danse from Jem, but otherwise I just have no clue why the change in her design. Lala is already pink. We don't need more pink.

Frankie is also disturbingly blue in this release.

I'm coming to feel like the shades of the plastic are what's irritating me about these. There's the expressions as well to a degree, esp in this release with Cleo's eyes, but the plastic looks cheaper than the original dolls had. It probably is, which is probably the reason. But it's hard to explain exactly what I mean other than the shades seem less nuanced.

Abbey's a character and a doll I always really liked, so it will be interesting to see her, I think G2 ditched her completely? But I'm still happy being a spectator on this line for now.

They really are going at it with the releases mind you. That's quite a lot of dolls for a relaunch right at the start.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Abbey had a party doll in G2, I know because I bought her and I think photographed her for the forums.I even remember exactly where I took the picture  :lol: She had her collector doll in G2 that was so utterly garbage I never want to talk about it again.

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Lagoona looks better than her sig doll, but I still don't like those forehead scales...
First of all :hug: It feels nice to be remembered. I completely agree with you on this. The hat helps. (Heh, sorry Goona baby.) Ah yeah, shelf warmer skull shores Ghoulia. What a shame. I thought she was redeemed with her SDCC releases, but now as Frankie Jr? Meh. They should have at least given her more of an underbite and non-brown brows.  :shrug:

They really are going at it with the releases mind you. That's quite a lot of dolls for a relaunch right at the start.
I was thinking that too! They’re sure jumping in with both feet, eh? Well we’ll see how it goes.

NEFERA has a HEART OF GOLD? ... Did Nefera write that???
Hahahahaha! I’m dying. For real though! Maybe she’s worked on herself.  :snicker:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Ahhh thank you Carrehz & Taffeta!! :lovey:

@Taffeta I’d love to see your Jem display! I don’t think I ever have!
I think Lala looks weird because of her bangs. They are much too long… I’m toying with the idea of trimming them. I saw someone cut them into normal bangs- I like the widow’s peak, but it did look very good. Actually, I pushed her bangs out of the way and she is STUNNING without them, omg. It changes her face entirely. I like both ways but do feel the bangs hinder her natural beauty- I’ll take a pic if anyone’s interested!

Re: G2 sibs:
I liked SOME of the siblings in G2, you can see a few I have in some of my photos. Pretty much Ebbie Wake, Pawla Wolf, & Kelpie Blue. The rest made no sense to me. (I also made Ebbie Finnegan’s little sister. She was Lagoona’s sister, like what!? Yeah I agree adding random mishmash body parts to the siblings like wings/tails/etc is bizarre. Pawla’s wold tail pops off so I popped it off, and just headcanon the “puppies” are fluffier… XD Think I may acetone her nose off though, just have never been brave enough to do it cause she was hard for me to snag back in the day.)

Also, yes, Toralei & Deuce are also exclusives! I SNAGGED BOTH TODAY. Ordered online- they’ll be here in about 2-4 days!

The Howliday one is ADORABLE but I’m not going to get her! She just looks too basic for me at this time, maybe I’ll change my mind later on, but she IS so cute!

Also Shriekwrecked was G2, Taff! ;D <3
(It was the cutest line that came from G2!)
Haunted was the ghost line you’re thinkin’ of, with the Spectra variant!

Also, I LOVE the new locker ghouls! Oh gosh I almost regret buying regular Frankie because I like this one more. XD I know some people are not liking her hat but I immediately just thought biker/“leather daddy” XD/Judas Priest when I saw it, really just Judas Priest and maybe that’s why I like her so much. XD
This is a TON of releases at launch, it’s crazy! But it’s really making me feel optimistic about the line, too.

Also, about the quality of the dolls- They really don’t feel cheap at all! They feel on par with G1.
G2 felt cheap as HECK- hard, thin, kinda scruffy plastic, dry hair, etc, but the G3 dolls feel like very quality materials.

I can’t wait to see the new ghouls they’ve been copywriting again!! Optimistically nervous.
About Nefera’s “heart of gold,” I think she’s probably going to be snooty, and they were using her “gold dipped organs in jars” as play on words. XD

Apparently the Nick movie came out tonight! And YIKES from the clips I’ve seen, lmao!! Still gonna watch it cause I’ve watched them all at this point and morbid curiosity always gets me. (Also have a guilty pleasure for bad movies… XD)
I do really love the actor they got for Frankie though, it’s pretty spot-on to how I’d imagine them in a live action- Albeit better makeup. XD :sheepish:

Also, MASCARAH I TOTALLY REMEMBER YOU!!
I was… Esbayne on the MHArena! XD
I miss it so much too.

Post Merge: October 06, 2022, 08:30:57 PM

Not my photo but apparently this is going on for Ghoulia’s special release for a month.

Post Merge: October 06, 2022, 11:11:40 PM

I watched that live action movie tonight because it premiered and I was morbidly (hah) curious.

……….uh.

………
Frankie was adorable. I love their new character.
Abbey had a cute costume.
The…. Cuckoo clock was cool.

…………….
That’s all I have that’s good to say.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:16:35 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal