collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?  (Read 26950 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
My first ponies were Moondancer and Firefly. My mom bought them for me new and she allowed me to have two because I couldn't really decide which 'one' I wanted so she told me to pick two; at least that's the way I remember it. I have a feeling I was probably just standing there staring at the beautiful unicorns and pegasus and I'm positive my thought was I must have them all.

I'm making the assumption that I started collecting in 1983 but I guess it depends on when Moondancer and Firefly were officially first in stores.

I don't remember being interested in the original ponies (blue Belle, Butterscotch, etc.) or taking notice of them and I'm assuming again that they were released in 1982 - the Uni's and Pegs is what got me started. But all of this would be based on what was actually out when. I just know when I first saw the Uni and Peg that was when I got them so they must have just been released.

I've been a faithful collector since Moondancer and Firefly, so that puts me at 29 years.

edit: I think I've been in the online pony collecting community since 1996/7.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:42:46 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
I've only been a member  of the community since 2005, but I've been re-collecting since about 2000 - when I joined ebay to pick up some lost childhood ponies.    I say re-collecting, because I collected ponies since I was 5-years old, but put them in storage while I "grew up". Then, once I did grow up, I started collecting again :)

I knew about the pony community a year or two earlier than I joined, but I was too shy to sign up officially.  Silly me!
 :silly:

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
I've loved ponies since before I can even rememeber lol! I suppose they were being bought for me before I even learned to speak.

Anyway with online been collecting I've done it since since about 2001 with an ebay account I made to find childhood videos. Only pony I bought at that time was my fabled childhood grail windwhistler though haha (it still counts!) I remember using Dream Valley to learn more about ponies - and to put names to some of my own! (Ahhh, so this one is called 'Twinkler') I remember being aware of the mlptp but just occasional lurking. I then went through periods of being interested/not-interested. I didn't really join online forums about mlp till later on.

(But I can completely understand what you mean about 'oldies'. I have accounts for neopets, elfwood, and ffnet that all began in 2000-2001 0_0.... Sometimes I look around and think 'whatever happened to this person, and that person, where are they now??')
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:33:15 PM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
I probably don't count as an oldie, but I'm coming up on 3 years at the Arena soon  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »
I signed up on ebay in December '97 & my first purchase was Baby Glory, so I guess that makes 14 years of online pony collecting for me. Sometime around then, I joined the "ponypeople" email group. I collected via ebay & ponypeople back in those days. I never signed up on the original TP because I thought message boards were too overwhelming (haha!). Sometime in the early 2000's (2002 or 2003?), my parents deleted their original AOL account & I started my own AOL account under the name kitkatvintage.

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
Well, I'd like to say I've been a collector since the 80's. I just had my childhood herd  for the longest time. When I moved out here to UT, my dad found a couple of G1s at a thrift store and it sparked my desire again. So I was an eBay/yahoo auction bidder for a while. I used to pour over the Dream Valley site!
I'm not sure where I ended  up first, but I know I was on the old TP for a bit, then Pony Finders (signed up there in 2004, and I'm still there), and eventually I came over here, though I didn't actually register till 2007. I think I've pretty much stuck with "sweetstuff" the whole time

I'm not the most talkative pony obviously *lol*

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 01:37:05 AM »
Are any of these members still around?

Abasca
AutumBerry
Baby Helpful
Baby_Katie
Candlelight
Jadeflower82
Jagular
Jentutu
Kagome
Kagri
KarRedRoses
Cherrycake
KatjaLahti
Taffeta
TAFhollywood
JLM
Pone
Wildfirechief's girl
Slugger
Hodgepodge
Hollyann
Baby Posey
Jenn from the TP?

And a few members I can't quite remember their full name? Serafina? Or something like that? She was from Romania and loved starflower.

And Babyducky? Everyone just called her Ducky, she was from MI.

Glitzy? She ran the catfights board.

How much fun taking a trip down memory lane.

I remember when Nirvanna's first started showing up. I remember when UK ponies started showing up! Baby Buttons went for a crazy price! And I remember when Piggys were "Fakies" and The mass flood of Greeks on Ebay.

I remember Yahoo Auctions, and The Ponypeople Emailing List. Dreamvalley chats? Ivy's chats, and the catfight board.

I remember when Dream Valley had Argie Flutterbye listed as pretty bow.

The TP was black and hot pink, I used to go to the library every day to go online and look at it and print pictures of the back cards from Dream Valley. Spike That link you posted to the old Dreamvalley is AMAZING! Can anyone do it to the old TP? LOL

I remember the early-mid nighties when MLP and Friends was still on the Disney Channel and occasionally they would play the movie. I remember renting Firefly's Adventure and Escape from Catrina on VHS at the local video store.

I remember people were finding old stock of the MLP kitchen at their TRU's after MLP had long gone from the store shelfs. And people were finding MOC Sparkle Babies at White Elephant stores.

I remember when everyone thought MOC Mimic would never exists lol.

I remember when G2's came out and everyone hated them! It divided the boards like crazy and anyone mentioning them would get flamed like crazy!

Oh those were the days....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:51:18 AM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
Oldie Moldies?
I don't think I like that name...
I never really stopped collecting ponies..
I started buying them second hand and calling it a collection when I was in High School umm back in 1993. I've been part of the Online pony community since 1997 or may have been late 1996 - boy was the internet different back then.

Lets see stroll down memory lane...
Dream Valley had a chat room.
Dream Castle was the Go-To message boards
MLP lots on eBay with very fuzzy or no pictures.. yet we still bought them

Members that I remember
The Delaneys - who can forget them
Steamer
Baby LicketySplit
Tabby - She had an awesome newsletter
Buckbuddy/Tarpan - her site is still around somewhere - she hosted my first trade/sale list
Summerwing!!
High Queen Tiffany - I really miss her fanficition..

I remember finding old MLP Coloring books in Wal-Mart's Clearance Section
I remember when I bought Baby Princess Sparkle for $15 MIB off of eBay - there were about 10 of them listed!

I remember when you could find MOC ponies online for around $15  a piece - wish I had more money back then.... I only bought four of them.

I remember going to the flea market and every week coming home with about 20-30 ponies all for $1 a piece...

T
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:58:19 AM by Ivy »
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
 I don't think of myself as moldie but been around a while lol!

And hmmmm... says my join date is 03 but I swear I made a omg I graduated high school post on here and that was in 02? Did we ever do an upgrade that lost the dates or am I loosing it? Edit-I am loosing it ,arena started in 03!

I miss some of the old drama but work to much to catch it anyway if its around lol!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:43:03 PM by joce »
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »
I have been on the arena less than a year
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline clones_rebellion

• Evil Swap Queen
  • Trade Count: (+422)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »
I starting buying ponies on eBay in 2002 before the G3s hit the stores. I remember buying G2s in the store, but I wasn't crazy about them at the time. I joined the Arena in 2007 and it's been one endless party since then! :P

~My Wishlist!~ Thank you Moonbreeze for my Atlas and Bastet siggy!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
Etoilebleue
Saturncyan
Roswita

Are they still around? (Plus the others listed in my last post)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:50:06 PM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I've been part of the online collecting community since 1997, so that's . . . wow, 15 years?!

I remember when Dream Valley, Dream Castle, and the Trading Post were the only major sites around . . . Everything else was small personal websites.

I don't really buy ponies any more, but I still enjoy being part of the community.  One of the things that really makes me happy about FIM (aside from how good the show is) is that people seem to be writing fanfics again.  I remember when EVERYONE seemed to be working on a little story (or an epic story!) of their own in "the early days" and was very sad to see that get superceded.

I remember that. I think the comm was such a small place and there were no actual forums as such to begin with - Trading Post was still black and pink and you had to email Jenn to get your ads put up - main communication were the mailing lists like Ponypeople and dreamvalley...people devoted more time to imagination around the ponies rather than monetary value. Scammers existed, but they were in small number and members of the community used to police them - the idea of scamming was far more shocking somehow then than it is now, with the community so widespread (sad ><). Locket ran the bad trader's list, I believe..?

It was also a time when people were still discovering a lot of stuff about ponies that now collectors take for granted. Things like different poses for confetti, sea ponies, etc, even the existence of the Mountain Boys - I remember having a conversation with a collector in the US about Snowflake and her saying..."who?"

A time when people still talked mostly on ICQ, too...and where you "registered" your pony name...a time pre-Arena...a time pre-MOC Mimic, as someone said above xDD.

That said, it was also a time when DV had a lot of mistakes due to misinformation, which made life a little more complicated when trading from across the atlantic. There were so few UK and European people online, then, too, that pony collecting was very US-centric. This was good for us for getting US ponies, but I guess it was harder for the US people trying to track down UK and European ones. I saw my first Argentine and Brazilian ponies in 1999, but online at that time the only variations which were beginning to be explored were the Italian ponies.

I've been collecting MLP since I was 2, which means 28 years a week tomorrow. My first pony was Rainbow pony Windy, who lives on my television set =D. I've been online since 1997, though that was from a library PC. I did my first online trade in 1997, though, so to me that's when I started. I was online from home in 1998, at which point I was 16. I adopted the name Taffeta when all the "popular" pony names were taken, even though I'd never even seen her or heard of her till I got online, and somehow it stuck...so I've never changed it.

To who it was who asked - I'm semi-still around ;) I pop on here and post from time to time, but as you can see from my pc, not that regularly. More around on MSN and email than on the site as a rule. I've been to a few of the pony meets over here, including the last two. And I still have my collection. Am currently back at uni doing a Postgrad, though, so completing the update of the scrapbook site has stalled again for the time being...

I remember a lot of names that have come up both posting on this thread and on other people's posts too =D.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:15:36 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
I've been around online, almost on a daily basis, since '06!
I just didn't bother clicking this thread until now, because I thought it was a new member asking what an "oldie moldie" is, with 4 pages of bashing of said name x'D
(then I saw the author name and recognized it)

I remember Aikarin and her custom website! It's what got me into making customs.
I also remember when Hasbro was on her for selling her ponies in customized MLP boxes.

I also used to go to the library and look at g3mlp.com. I miss that site, even though I'm not really a g3 collector. I was just a bit afraid back then that collecting g1s would be too hard!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
I've been around online, almost on a daily basis, since '06!
I just didn't bother clicking this thread until now, because I thought it was a new member asking what an "oldie moldie" is, with 4 pages of bashing of said name x'D
(then I saw the author name and recognized it)

I remember Aikarin and her custom website! It's what got me into making customs.
I also remember when Hasbro was on her for selling her ponies in customized MLP boxes.

I also used to go to the library and look at g3mlp.com. I miss that site, even though I'm not really a g3 collector. I was just a bit afraid back then that collecting g1s would be too hard!
I used to look at that - It would be so nice to get a hold of her somehow and see how shes doing!
Although I registered less than a year ago, I came her about 2 years ago now and I was to young to make an account.. I was gonna fake my age but my older sister caught me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal