collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Were you collecting online in the late 90s? Nostalgia!  (Read 9107 times)

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Were you collecting online in the late 90s? Nostalgia!
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 03:08:19 AM »
This thread is awesome!!

I don't remember any of this because didn't have access to the internet until 2007(!) when I bought Masquerade from eBay. But it's wonderful to read about. I really wish I'd been there, I'm plenty old enough to have been!! I'm just jealous :D

Jules x
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »
I *just* missed the 90s collecting era... I started collecting in 2000, so a lot of these things are still familiar to me, especially some of the collectors and buying auctions without pictures! Even when there were pictures, quite often they were poor quality and very few, so there were some surprises to be had in lots especially :)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2015, 07:08:34 AM »
I dabbled in trading from 99-2001 on random yahoo groups. I remember trading for ponies from a very nice lady in Canada that wanted Strawberry Shortcake stuff. It was all just random people, no tracking and you hope you got what you had paid or traded for.

Then it was ebay 99-2004. Yes, sending concealed cash or money orders and hoping the pony or ponies arrived. It was still a bidding war then for cheaper lots...

Always used Kimsites, but not when I was first buying online. New ponies really were new to me then... LOL

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »
Aaaah this thread is so full with awesome memories! I started collecting January 2000, I remember exactly as we got internet late December 1999 and the first thing I did was looking up ponies! I figured I couldn't be the only one crazy enough to still love ponies, right? :D

Buying ponies overseas was a pain though, pre-paypal! I remember sending cash in envelopes, the lady from the bank thought I was nuts when I showed up asking for USD bills the 10th time in a month! :D

Online though, I remember that uhm, I don't recall the name, but that link ring thing where you put a link to the previous and next site so you could browse through all those connected pony sites! My site was in it too, but at some point there were too many dead links and it didn't work well anymore, unfortunately. I always liked that :)

And yes Dreamvalley! I printed the entire thing! :D

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
WOWOW soo great topics!! thanks all for sharing such amazing memories!!

I remember the first time anybody saw the Greek ponies.  I remember that summer when the market was flooded with MIB Greeks, and you could easily get a MIB Baby Minty for $100.
I remember when the Piggy ponies were first discovered and everybody thought they were fakies.  I remember someone said they paid some ridiculously cheap price for one(like $20 or something), and everybody thought that person was crazy for wasting their money.  Then somebody found one MIP, and then that $20 didn't seem so stupid anymore.

:drunk: :drunk:

Red roses! I blame tuneful for the price increase on her! She was some what hard to find, but not impossible! I remember I bought mine from a user named Michelle for $7. That was in 99.

I also bought two moc Greeks on ebay for $40 a piece. Orange sunlight and pink parasol. I decarded them both, because there were literally a dozen of them on eBay, and what seemed like an endless supply of Greeks.

Does anyone remember when everyone started decarding their argies because a few members were finding the cardboard was staining them? It was a pretty big fiasco with the decarding versus not decarding.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: 

So interesting in the  90's I was around 10 and still playing sometimes with my Tickle / Plume  :biggrin: :biggrin:!! wow if I have known at that time there was internet and there were others ponies OMG!!!

I just had internet access at the University begin 2000  :lol: and at home I think it was in 2004. And at that period I thought at University first no more pony...

By chance (thanks University and work  :biggrin: :biggrin: ) I finally came to pony collecting beginning 2011  ^.^ ^.^
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:56:01 AM by Bibinettepony »
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
I remember drooling over the ebay ponies in the late '90s; and Dream Valley as well; though I never joined any forums until recently. The first ponies I bought from ebay were in 2000, and I remember there was a whole communication process with ebay back then where you contacted your seller and you were like, "Hey, I'm going to send you a check." LOL. I had my first credit card so I was fine with paypal, but some sellers didn't use paypal.
I sat down in my dorm room and wrote my check out (spending money from my summer job) and walked that mail down to the college mail center. And then when my ponies came they put a slip in my little mail box that a box had arrived. I only bought very cheap lots and it was definitely a surprise as to what condition they would be in. I still have my Flat Foot Minty from those days. I had no means of cleaning ponies in my dorm other than figuring out for myself that nail polish remover worked pretty well on marks and even using my hair straightener on the dry hair sometimes.
Memories!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
Oooooh pony email and yahoo groups and the old hot pink TP - I remember those days. I think my favourite was when we first spotted a Baby Hopscotch - wow....it was like pony community meltdown she went for hundreds and hundreds of $. I just want to say that Dream Valley is and always will be THE G1 pony ID and info site for me :P I remember lots of things and sites and information having come and gone but its been my one consistent since I started collecting!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 07:26:48 PM »
Omg you guys are hitting all the nostalgia feels

I used to have a box of pony websites I loved to frequent (most have already been mentioned here). I will find that box one day and check way back machine lol.

Not sure I have much to add as I wasn't that active in the early years. I was too young so I was more of a lurker online but I was active collector in the 90s and I followed all the stories and sites :D . It wasn't until like 2001 I joined a group and that was "Pony Finders" I think the site was called. Then the TP, then my favorite pony place in the world the Arena! :D
~Foxtale~

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
So many more!
Shout out to some old Pony peeps! Say hi if you're still around!
Katja lahti, garej, JLM, pone, pinwheel, abasca, thunderwing, glitzy, duckie, wildfirechiefsgirl, Baby berry town, baby_katie, jentutu, buckbuddy, saturn cyan, roswita, etoileblue, valeofspring, and so many more!!

I had to twitch at this, I can count 3-4 people who have been banned from the community from this list alone!
Abasca, however, is still a nutter.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
So many more!
Shout out to some old Pony peeps! Say hi if you're still around!
Katja lahti, garej, JLM, pone, pinwheel, abasca, thunderwing, glitzy, duckie, wildfirechiefsgirl, Baby berry town, baby_katie, jentutu, buckbuddy, saturn cyan, roswita, etoileblue, valeofspring, and so many more!!

I had to twitch at this, I can count 3-4 people who have been banned from the community from this list alone!
Abasca, however, is still a nutter.
I was wondering about her! And so many others!! God I feel old!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
I remember a lot of those screen names. I wonder what happened to them?
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
I remember Dream Valley! It was my go-to pony place! I spent hours on there :)

I remember when you didn't have to have a picture for ebay listings though I rarely bought from one that didn't have a picture lol. I think you had to pay for pictures, right? Or was it one free picture? And also the money orders. I got scammed a few times with those! XD Someone sent me cash once and I don't think I'll ever see that again lol.

And websites took foreveeeer to load. You had to be very patient :P Never knew what sniping was on ebay lol. And I also remember having to hit refresh when you were bidding! Ah, nostalgia :P

I remember thinking Nirvanas and Piggy Ponies were fakies!

Does anyone remember Marco's pony fanart? They were some beautiful pictures! I can't find his website anymore, but I will find some of his pictures pop up on different sites or google searches.

I remember buying a lot of my ponies on ebay from Lady Flutter. She had SO many ponies for sale and all in minty condition! I bought my first ponies from her. A lot of 3 babies - Baby Glory, Baby Quackers, and Baby Stockings. I used my brother-in-law's account since I didn't have one. I was hooked after that though :lol: I remember on Lady Flutter's auctions that she said to just send her a message about which ponies we wanted to buy and she would put them on ebay. Like she had them all :shocked: I remember asking her for the Sweetberry ponies (Blueberry Baskets and Cranberry Muffins were my grails back then!) and she listed all of them in gorgeous condition. They all went waaaaay too high for me though :P
My Wish List

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »
I remember Marco's art!  To die for!  Then the art thieves came out of the woodwork...

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
Marco's art was sooo pretty!! I managed to find a blanket with his Twilight on it - I know/knew it wasn't really his (just used his picture) but as Twilight is my fav pony and the artwork was so pretty I had to get it.

Found his website: http://www.burningblood.it/marcoalbiero/animemanga/littlepony.html
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »
 :shocked: thanks for the link!! so beautiful!! and there is one with Tickle!! sooo amazing!! ^.^ ^.^
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal