collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you use the same password on multiple sites?

Yes, so I only ever have to remember one password
26 (10.2%)
Mostly, but I use unique ones for my important accounts
126 (49.2%)
Some of them, but only for accounts I don't care get hacked
55 (21.5%)
No, I make sure every site has a different password
41 (16%)
No, and I use a password generator/manager to do that for me
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: Password talk!  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
Re: Password talk!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
I have about 7 passwords I rotate though on sites. One sites I barely use or have no important data on them I generally use the same one. However any administrative sites or banking sites myt passwords are extremely complicated. I use phrases where I substitute letters for numbers, helps me remember. Like... "W31c0m&T0Th3Ar3na!"

As for break ins, no, I've never been broken into, though I have gotten into other peoples accounts very easily. It's simple to do really if you have access to a person's PC. Firefox is the easiest to get passwords from, followed by Internet Explorer.  If you've ever clicked "remember my password for this site", you're computer tech will have access to your info in seconds.  I do it all the time when asked to fix a computer, just to show the owner how unsafe they are.  I've had people freak out at me for doing it, (like it's some magical hack) but most are surprised and learn quickly.

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
I don't use exactly the same password for different sites, but I do tend to use related passwords for related sites - different enough to be secure (hopefully at least) but similar enough so that I'll be able to keep track of them (hopefully, again ;)).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog

TeddyAndTex

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 11:29:34 PM »
I try to use the same password whenever I can.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
I'm surprised people here are willing to admit they use the same password on multiple sites. Even if you're not saying what they are, doesn't that seem unsafe to put out there publicly? Or am I just being overly paranoid? (I have had my identity most likely stolen, but not due to any of my own accounts being hacked, but my university's. But I'd have been nervous to say anything about my password even besides that.)

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
I use LastPass for my passwords, which sometimes complicates things, when I have to use some services from outside my home.

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »
Oh man, I'm so guilty of using the same. Most of my passwords have been one variation of a simple password that I made like 3 years ago. Always consisting of the same thing, the same number, but maybe the number is repeated etc. It's the usernames I always forget (For example; my username on one website is 578429768. Completely serious. How I remember that is beyond me.) I remember the password, just not the username, which makes me incredibly furious at sites without a username reminder function (and eternally grateful for sites that allow you to log in using persona or your email address)
An account I own has been broken into, once (loosing about... £80 worth of stuff) but that was during an attack on the site. The site rolled back the money I had lost and everything was fine. I also have had my emails used, but nobody logged in, just used them for sites.. somehow... no idea.
I also know my dad is guilty of the same stuff, mainly because I had to put all his passwords on his tablet because they were all on a crowded piece of paper. He still has more variation than me though.
The email address I've had forever.. surprised it was NEVER passguessed, seeing as the password was so insanely easy to guess (what would a young girly girl make their password? haha). Still has the same word as it has been for all these years, but obviously mixed up and stuff.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:45:08 AM by bladed »

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
Its hard, sometimes I forget the passwords to sites I barely use, an so those ones I use the same thing, if its a safer site.
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
I use LastPass for my passwords, which sometimes complicates things, when I have to use some services from outside my home.

My bf swears by lastpass.  Me, I'm guilty of using the same passwords over and over and i build websites so i really should do better :(

Just make sure yours isn't a super common password http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/01/22/_25_worst_passwords_what_your_terrible_common_password_says_about_you.html

use letters, numbers, and special characters.  the more the better :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 03:11:33 AM »
I'm pretty much like ponylady. I have a dozen of passwords and sometimes it is hard remembering which one is for which site, though I try to keep track on them by for example changing just two digits of the password for each email address so it's easier to remember. My most important and unique passwords have 100% strength according to the site Stomper posted :lookround: but there are also ones with the 63%, so I think I will need to modify them a bit.

MyLittleLambie

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
I have enough passwords that I have trouble remembering them & have to use the "forgot password" function much too often!  Every site has different password rules and even special username rules, so there is no way to use the same username/password anyway.  (I also forget my username too).

So, I can't even remember my ebay password!!  LOL

I've never been hacked, but at my first job(s), the passwords were all so easy!!  No password rules back then, I guess!!  That was 20 years ago.  And I even worked at a BANK!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:25:21 AM by MyLittleLambie »

Niksilp

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »

My bf swears by lastpass.  Me, I'm guilty of using the same passwords over and over and i build websites so i really should do better :(

Just make sure yours isn't a super common password http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/01/22/_25_worst_passwords_what_your_terrible_common_password_says_about_you.html

use letters, numbers, and special characters.  the more the better :)

I used to use KeePass (which is a pretty great program too), but I recently switched to LastPass and I love it. Highly recommended. I still have a few sites where I'll create my own password, but for the most part, I just use LastPass's password generator. And since your LastPass vault can be accessed on the web through their website, your passwords are always available to you.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
I just had to change my email passwords because apparently someone is trying to break into my email and has gone so far as to try request a code to change my password. And I checked and it shows me where in the world in the past week people have unsuccessfully tried to log into my account and they've tried in China and Indonesia. So, even though you may think your email isn't important, just think about what you may keep in your email account like pictures or addresses for friends, etc. Make sure you clean out your accounts from time to time just in case! I just changed my password and updated my security information.

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
^ I just watched finnish news, and they said that most of the cyberattack attempts comes from china. Kinda weird.

Good thing you noticed that!

Thank you :heart:

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
That's really a neat site Thanks for sharing  :)
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal