collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help with OC's and subsequent Wedding Cake Topper.  (Read 2631 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Help with OC's and subsequent Wedding Cake Topper.
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:29:36 AM »
I need some help. I want to have a pony wedding cake topper of OC's that represent me and my fiancée. However, I am not very good at drawing and so far only have a mental picture of my fiancé's OC and some detail ideas for mine. Also, how do I go about commissioning these two? I want to start the process soon enough to get them in time for our June 2017 wedding. How much should I expect to pay?  I want G1's as the base. Any help is so appreciated!

[Moving to A&C ~ Mirn]
[And moving to Customs :P  -- Griffin]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:27:05 PM by Griffin »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Re: Help with OC's and subsequent Wedding Cake Topper.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:24:57 AM »
Have you browsed the "commission an artist" sticky post? Many have art samples and pricing samples up- so it's easy to scroll around and find an artist's style you like. You could very well end up with a beautiful, framable work of art/wedding memento in addition to just getting an OC design. :)

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
a few of us have done cake toppers

here's one I was commissioned to do

and here are the ponies I did for my own wedding

I'd be happy to work with you to get your designs just right, and a year is more than enough time for myself and most other customizers. As far as how much you'll pay it will depend on the customizer AND what exactly you want ;) for example - if you want sculpted outfits that will cost more no matter who you use

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »
Very neat Roogna! I know that I just want the ponies without custom clothes. Ponyqueen, are you talking about to design my OC's?

"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 06:54:26 PM »
Very neat Roogna! I know that I just want the ponies without custom clothes. Ponyqueen, are you talking about to design my OC's?

Yeah... I thought that's what you were looking for? You mentioned not being good at drawing, so I thought you were looking for someone who could do a "concept art" sketch/painting of the OCs, which would be used by a customizer to make a 3D pony...

On a different note- doesn't all that pony hair get stuck in the frosting? :wonder:

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:55:02 AM »
On a different note- doesn't all that pony hair get stuck in the frosting? :wonder:

This could probably be solved using some sort of disc or other base on top of which the cake topper is mounted. :)

Best of luck finding the suitable artist(s) to design your dream ponies! ^^

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 05:36:08 AM »
Yeah... I thought that's what you were looking for? You mentioned not being good at drawing, so I thought you were looking for someone who could do a "concept art" sketch/painting of the OCs, which would be used by a customizer to make a 3D pony...

Yes actually, I was just clarifying

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 02:44:43 AM »

I can move this to Customs if needed. :) I think ponyqueen's not the only one who thought you were looking for concept art first and customs after that (that's how I read it, too), hence it was moved here in Arts & Crafts. Depending on the custom artist, however, it might be helpful to have some kind of reference picture to use as a starting point, rather than just a written description. Customizers are different, some may not be keen on drawing/sketching and prefer to work from a clear reference picture while others prefer to be involved in the designing process. Whatever your decision, I suggest taking a look at the stickied Commission Artist threads here and/or in Customs and look for an artist whose style appeals to you. Most list approximate price ranges and terms of service in their posts as well. Good luck!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »

I can move this to Customs if needed. :) I think ponyqueen's not the only one who thought you were looking for concept art first and customs after that (that's how I read it, too), hence it was moved here in Arts & Crafts. Depending on the custom artist, however, it might be helpful to have some kind of reference picture to use as a starting point, rather than just a written description. Customizers are different, some may not be keen on drawing/sketching and prefer to work from a clear reference picture while others prefer to be involved in the designing process. Whatever your decision, I suggest taking a look at the stickied Commission Artist threads here and/or in Customs and look for an artist whose style appeals to you. Most list approximate price ranges and terms of service in their posts as well. Good luck!

That is how I had meant it but was clarifying for myself what she was describing...

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 01:01:28 PM »
I can do character design if that's what you're looking for.  Though depending on your budget, you might be able to find an artist who can both make custom cake toppers from ponies and draw the designs for you.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
So, I think that I'm going to try to color some line art for a rough idea and then have someone help with official templates and then get a customizer if the artist isn't both. I really want these for our wedding as these would mean a lot to me.
I'm not looking for stylized molding or super extravagant. Just the ponies painted and haired from G1s.

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
I love doing character design so if you need help, feel free to pm me.  I'll be around on Sunday/Monday for business/commission type stuff on weekends, I just hang out and draw for myself.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 06:36:10 PM »
what generation are you wanting the ponies to be?
and what does the budget for it look like?
are you hoping for sculpting? or just a simple veil?

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 08:25:11 PM »
Here's what I am looking for, at least in terms of the cake toppers: G1 adult bases regular (pose undecided) for mine and a big brother pose for his. Rerooted in hair the color of my choice, and painted symbols, body, feathers, etc. as needed. No sculpting, no accessories (as of now). If I choose, Be able to dress them in Hasbro pony wear.

A quick rundown on my fiancé's OC: blue and white body (kind of ombré coloring either white to blue (down) or vice versa. Blue as in royal blue. Same-ish idea for, mane and tail. Symbol would be the Chevy "bow tie" emblem in brassy goldish color. He would have blue eyes.

Mines a little trickier as I haven't been able to pinpoint her complete design. I know I want her to be yellow with pink hair (likely fading colored pink)maybe with a couple colors or shades like multiple shades of pink or pink, blu, and yellow? Finally, her symbol is the hardest as I'm not sure how to represent myself or part of myself. I originally thought of somethings related to labor & delivery nursing or something. When I picture her though I often think of my summer avatar, Citrus Dream.

As far as budget, I am not sure as I have no idea about customs pricing or what I should expect to pay.

Thanks for the support, help, and advice with this. One reason I love this community.

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
So I have colored a rough draft of my fiancé's OC Chevy on line art from Google

I'm still working on mine...symbol is holding me up still on that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal