collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: pony flipping.....kinda  (Read 4505 times)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: pony flipping.....kinda
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
I think its completely disrespectful to on sell a custom for a lot more than what you brought it for. Fair enough if you have a low reserve and the auction went really high but to intentionally set out to make a profit isn't right.
With that being said I strongly believe what goes around comes around (karma) so it will sort itself out in the end.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
I'd be devistated if someone listed one of my customs for more than what they paid me for on ebay. I sell them for very reasonable prices to other collectors that I hope will enjoy and keep them. But yeah, they bought it so they can do what they want with them...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »
The only time I would get annoyed at flipping, is if someone joined a swap for the pure intention of making money on it. So that would mean they skimped on their side of the swap. That's the only thing that I would think would be kind of low. Of course, if they just sold off their side of the swap cause they ended up not wanting it that's another story.

Other than that scenario (which I don't think has ever happened - At least, I've never seen a thread about it)

This has happened, actually. There was someone who was selling customs they recieved in swaps when they had never sent their side and stopped communicating with the host. I think it happened several times with this person, but because the swaps all started within a similar timeframe, there was no way for the swap hosts to know that this person was super shady because they hadn't gotten feedback on it yet. It was a disaster.

Well, that's just plain scamming. I was more talking about someone who joins a swap and skimps or something so they don't get in any kind of trouble but can make money off what they got.

So while they probably wouldn't be called out as a scammer, it's a pretty low thing to do as when you join a swap you aren't supposed to try and make money on it. It was just a random though on a way someone could flip a pony where it's definitely not right.

Things where people don't pay for a pony that they bought, don't send out their side of the swaps or whatever are not flipping. It's scamming.

jayellery

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
While I completely understand the emotional attachment, especially if a commission was made specifically for you, I don't have a problem with people re-selling custom art.  If someone re-sells a custom I've made and makes more money from it?  That's awesome!  It means my work is appreciated, first by the original owner who didn't throw it away and then by the next owner, who was willing to pay that much for it.  While I wouldn't mind some credit, I certainly don't expect to be asked for permission to sell it.

Do I think it's rude to sell a swap pony right away?  Hell yes.  That was a gift, not a purchase.  But I also understand that events in the future may make it necessary.  I would rather see someone sell a pony instead of starve or delay medical treatment.  Things are great to have but it's the quality of your life that's more important and the quantity of things owned really doesn't change that.

Signing up for a swap with no intention of sending a pony?   :enraged:  That's outright theft and is another topic altogether.

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »
This is one of the reasons I hesitate to ever sale any ponies I customize. It's unfair to those who would appreciate it.

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't understand what the big deal is. 
If you buy something in the end it's your to do whatever you want with.  It's no diffident than owning a painting or any other piece of art.  Some times you grow tired of it or it's time to let it go. 

I'd rather they sell it than toss it at least someone else gets to appreciate it.

To each their own.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »
I have received several customs in swaps, and would NEVER consider selling them.  Ever.  In fact, I'd sell my wingers before I sold a gift.  If I went out of my way to create something special for my swap partner, I'd be really hurt and angry that they would sell it. 

If I purchased a custom from someone, I'd probably offer the customizer first dibs to buy it back.  Honestly, I don't think I'd sell one unless my kids needed something important like food or shelter. 

Pony flipping doesn't bother me at all otherwise.  I've bought ponies with the intention of selling them before, and don't feel bad about it:)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
I would never sell a custom I was given, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone selling one of mine if they were having to raise money for something important and asked me about it. I think someone flipping a custom they bought from me doesn't bother me. It's not a personal thing I gave them and it's kind of flattering to think of 2 people wanting a custom I did XD. I wouldn't flip someone else's though.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »
I would never sell a custom I was given, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone selling one of mine if they were having to raise money for something important and asked me about it. I think someone flipping a custom they bought from me doesn't bother me. It's not a personal thing I gave them and it's kind of flattering to think of 2 people wanting a custom I did XD. I wouldn't flip someone else's though.

It's hard isn't it? I actually feel somewhat of the same way. I could care less if it's something that I made but yes, it would be hard if it's something that I got in a custom swap. But only because I can get attached to items sometimes. I don't think it makes me pious or anything.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
I suppose a lot of what I have to say has been said before- but I agree that selling a gift or a swap is a little tacky-  that said a friend of mine recently put a bunch of stuff for sale- including some gifts I had given to her and made for her- I felt a little bad but she is has been laid off for a while now and has a new baby- how on earth can I begrudge her trying to earn a few very needed dollars?  She needs diapers more than dolls alas-  so I got over it.

Flipping ponies solely for profit (particularly if someone did a trade just to get a custom to sell) is certainly not cool- but how often does that happen?

If someone holds themselves out as an artist and sells commissions or works that they have done-  how are they any different than any other kind of artist?   I do buy art from time to time and although I have never sold any of the pieces I have purchased- it is not because I think selling art I have bought is wrong- it is because I only buy art when I really love it.   

I would hope that if an artist had strong feelings about whether their art should ever be re-sold - she would say so when the item was purchased...   

I understand an artist getting attached to their art- all art is a labor of love.   However,  the idea that re-selling art is a bad thing seems a strange concept.   I have a few friends that actually do try and make art a part of their livelihood (not easy)- and I know they get attached to each and every one of their pieces- but how strange would it be if they conditioned every sale on the understanding that the piece would never be re-sold?

CrimsonEtClover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
haha oh lordy, wrong thread!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:04:34 PM by CrimsonEtClover »

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
I suppose a lot of what I have to say has been said before- but I agree that selling a gift or a swap is a little tacky-  that said a friend of mine recently put a bunch of stuff for sale- including some gifts I had given to her and made for her- I felt a little bad but she is has been laid off for a while now and has a new baby- how on earth can I begrudge her trying to earn a few very needed dollars?  She needs diapers more than dolls alas-  so I got over it.

You think that's bad? I had a relative RETURN a gift to me. It was a book. They read it, then sent it back to me. lol. I was very offended at first but then like you, got over it.

To tell you the truth, I would have rather had her sell it. I mean, it was a "gift" I wanted her to enjoy it or profit from it.

But anyways, I've seen relatives sell gifts that I've given them or re-gift them. Every Christmas I get a box of re-gifted items. It's kind of amusing :-) Sometimes you give a gift and the person loves it and sometimes it's not so useful. I've been on both sides of the coin so I understand that it's nothing to get offended about.

Plus, I can sometimes be random. There are some items I will always love. But I've literally asked for a gift and then can't stand the item after a few months. Sometimes your mind just changes.

Offline thatg33kgirl

• Geek Pony
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • MOC Mimic
  • TGG
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »
Personally I'm okay if someone decides to sell something I made, but yeah, if they say buy something from me for 50 and I find them posting it for 100 a week later? Yeah, thats lame. I didn't sell it to them on consignment, ya know? And if it was a swap and someone sold it right away, thats another story. The reason to be in a swap is to make something for someone and get something for you in return, not OH MAN FREE CUSTOM LET ME SELL IT. No. no no no.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

*COMMISSIONS CURRENTLY CLOSED*

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
I have never sold any of my work. I have in point made customs off of commissions.  In all honesty if someone gave me a gift I would feel it would be wrong of me to sell it. If I did decide on selling something (which I usually don't) I would wait a long time before selling a custom gift. I agree its in poor taste for someone to quickly sell a gift a customizer made. I have had this happen to me once that I can think of that's why this is a touchy subject to me. :/

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 07:02:20 AM »
IMPORTANT: Just wanted to let everyone know that the ebay seller who sold PoniesYeah custom has been found out to be a long-time scammer, Sayuri (also known as MANY other names and IDs over the years).

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,311060.0.html
See page 6 where it's discovered that proudpommom on ebay is Sayuri, and you can find more information and links about this person. 

While this has nothing to do with this current debate of pony-flipping, I think it's important to keep tabs on what these scammers are up to these days so we can avoid doing business with them. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal