collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: cutie marks  (Read 1018 times)

Offline cadance89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Re: cutie marks
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »
They were called Cutie Marks in G3 too, I remember them mentioning it in the Runaway Rainbow

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »
Me again (sorry everyone.) I personally don't think that people should be corrected about using the term cutie mark for G1 and G2 ponies, and (even though I personally prefer the term "cutie mark") I don't think people should be corrected for using the term "symbol" for G3 and G4 ponies either.

I hope no one minds me writing this, but I feel that we should just call them what we personally like, there is no right or wrong at the end of the day.  It's like how some ponies were given different names when they were sold ("Tux and Tails" and "Coats and Tails" are actually the same pony) so ultimately just call them as you know them.

I really hope this didn't sound bossy.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

jaybell

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »
Yeah I didn't think cutie mark vs symbol was a thing lol. I think I called them butt tattoos until I heard the term cutie mark. sounded nicer

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »
Yeah I didn't think cutie mark vs symbol was a thing lol. I think I called them butt tattoos until I heard the term cutie mark. sounded nicer

Butt tattoo...I love it!
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
Coat n' Tails and Tux n' Tails refer to the same pony, and both names originate from Hasbro.
G1's never had cutie marks. Nor did G2.  They were never called that, by Hasbro, or anyone else, so it's not exactly the same situation.

Why shouldn't we help our fellow collectors so they know the difference?  It'd be like letting people call Glory/Sparkler Rarity instead, because Rarity was based on those two G1s.  There's no malice behind it, just an honest wish to help others learn and honour past generations. 

If someone wants to deliberately choose to use one or the other for a different generation, that's a choice, but it's hard to know you have a choice, or that there is another term that might also be appropriate, if no one tells you.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »
Okay, the Tux and Tails thing was a bad example.

I'm okay with people simply explaining it to be helpful if that's what they're doing.  I appologise if I spoke out of turn.  It's because I'm so used to the kind of people who would, for example "correct" someone who included a G1 pony with a cutie mark in a fanfiction or something, even if the fanfiction took place in G4 or G3, and she was the only G1 pony there.

I'm doing a fan series which takes place after G4 (it's non-canon), but ponies from all generations will appear for example, but I will use the term cutie marks for all ponies, since they will in fact share a world. (I know someone else said that symbols are on both sides and cuite marks are on one, but in the G4 series, it is both sides (why the toys didn't follow that, I don't know) and my fanseries will copy that, so they will be cutie marks in mine).

Like I say, I appologise if I spoke out of turn, now that I realize what people were doing. I'm not saying my fanseries will be good, but I hope people don't turn against it when I include a G1 pony, and mention his or her "cutie mark".
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal