collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you regret buying sometimes?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Do you regret buying sometimes?
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »
So,I've never been much of a collector with the mindset of buying something I don't necessarily 100% omgtotallyNEED simply in order to complete a set of some sort. I'm trying very hard to reduce my amount of clutter so I put a lot of thought into any new item I bring home. Especially since ponies aren't the only toys I collect. But tonight, I'm not really sure why, but I think I got into some sort of freaky weird WANT mode and purchased a couple of MLP children's book when I visited the bookstore. I know it's only like $10 and they are pretty cute and I like looking at them, but I just feel so...bad. I don't know why, like buying children's book crosses the line into total, I don't know, weirdness? I still have the receipt and I thought I'd just return them, but then for some reason I don't want to. I like them. They're cute to look at and one has stickers...that I'll also probably never use. Am I stupid/crazy/weird for buying kids' books for myself? Should I return them? I feel so embarrassed, this is probably the first time I don't want my family to know what it is I bought. :redface:

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do you regret buying sometimes?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
I buy G1 pony books whenever I see them!
The artwork in some of them is irresistible!

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »
I've regretted some of my pony purchases but mine were all monetarily based:  I was spending most of my free money on ponies when I could have spent it on other things I could use, like clothes, or RRSP's etc.

As for your books, I love kid's books.  I have lots and I have no kids, I have nieces and nephews that don't get to read MY books when they visit, they have their own.  If you're regretting the books that you really like I think you may need to try to figure out why.  Do you have your own kids (I'm new here if that's common knowledge), if so maybe you're thinking they should have been for them.  Maybe something to do with how it might reflect on your reading tastes?  I don't think any of that should be cause for concern, myself.  I've just completed my Education degree and my favourite part of being the in the Grade 1 and 2 classrooms during student teaching was being able to read the children's books.  Perhaps it's a matter of the money spent or value of the item vs the money spent.  As far as books in the collection, they're flat/thin and don't take up much room so don't create a lot of clutter.  Once you can pinpoint where the discomfort is coming from you can make a more informed decision about whether you want to keep them or not.

I hope that helps in some way and if not, ignore it, I don't have a psych degree or anything  :), I just know that pinning down where the feeling comes from has helped me in the past.  I also recommend waiting a day or two before you take them back to see how you feel about them, do they still make you smile.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
I have a decent collection of vintage children's books and coloring books and I would never turn down a g1 book.

I wouldn't feel badly about anything you buy as long as you a) have the money to spend and b) enjoy the purchase.  If you like them, I wouldn't worry too much about what anyone else thinks.  Children's books are cute, they have a deep sentimental value to me and they add variety to the collection.  Not everything you buy has to be purposeful.  :)

That said, if you feel really bad about it, I'd put them aside for now and think on it for a little while.  If you still don't want to keep them, return them after a few days.  But if you want to keep them, I think you're in good company.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline KtKat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:44:07 AM »
I always feel a little bit of fleeting guilt because ultimately I'm spending money on little plastic horses that do nothing but chill in my room, but I keep my budget reasonable and I've never found myself in a jam because of it.  They do bring me happiness, and are a great stress reliever just by being there,  its just harder to quantify in a practical way, like video games or clothes.

So if you are indeed enjoying the books, you have every freedom to brush that guilt and embarrassment away, don't make yourself feel bad by judging yourself on the standards of others.  :frolic:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:52:43 AM »
I've never regretted buying G1's, but I regret getting G3's. So I'm thinking of just selling them.

I suggest just set the book aside for now, you may just have a bit of guilt. If you really don't want it, then you can either just take it back or sell it. :)
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:55:11 AM »
I do sometimes. Buyers remorse is a hard thing to stomach, but omg, I love my ponies and monster high dolls ;-; I'd rather find a way to live with the guilt

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:55:35 AM »
Well, you know. Some people collect stamps, we collect plastic horses. You shouldn't feel bad about your hobby, since it's pretty typical human behavior. There is of course a difference between collecting and hoarding, much like there is difference between normal usage of alcohol and alcoholism. But as long as your collecting doesn't keep you from doing other stuff you want to do or affect your relationships I think you haven't crossed the line.

Edit. My god my spelling is bad today.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:58:12 AM by Doedeardarling »

popyduggan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:45 AM »
     There are times where I have oodles of stuff in hand and ask myself, "What the heck am I doing?". My justification is "Because I like it and it's fun.".

I'm 26 and I bought the coloring books myself, only because Ditzy's on 'em, but still enjoy yourself.

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind and several other bumper stickers.

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:03:38 AM »
I once spent 60 dollars on a lot of 50 G3s, a couple of G1s and G2s, plus 40 fakies.

I'm....not really sure why since I don't really care for G3s and there's no way I could make a profit from selling them.

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:10:04 AM »
All the time. :( I am seriously stingy with my money and when I do spend it I always feel bad :( Unless it's something for people other than myself. For example I waaaant LalaLoopsy dolls like no other and I haven't bought many and the ones I did buy I regret x-x I love them sooo much but I barely have space for my ponies D: Much less Lalaloopsies :<
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:50 AM »
I have a whole bunch of Lion King books on my desk shelf as well as a few other kinds of children's books. A couple are an FiM activity set, a giant FiM coloring book and a smaller Jumbo FiM coloring book so no you're not weird at all for buying children's books for yourself. You're just adding to your MLP collection^^

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline klein

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
I don't think I have any regrets about buying a specific pony. When I go into the doll room now though and realize how large the herd has grown so quickly, it's like where did all of you come from?

I have serious nerve damage in my right hand from a car accident, I can still move my hand but the fine motor skills can be a bit iffy sometimes as I still can't really feel anything. My physical therapist had recommended coloring in coloring books in the past to help me relearn control of my fine motor skills so that's my personal justification for the MLP/Batman/Care Bears/Strawberry Shortcake etc coloring books  :blush:

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
I think I've been on both sides I regret buying some things and at the same time I regret not buying others when I had the chance.

Put it aside there's nothing wrong with returning it, later if you feel that's what you really need to do.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
I hear ya! For years I stayed away from ebay but then I found something from my childhood that got ruined so I went on ebay to find a replacement... now I can't stay away. >_> Why is bidding so addictive!?! Ugh I bought a ton of stuff I don't even need really, and my parents are trying to get crud OUT of our house. XD;;

Ah well. Ya only live once, I guess?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal