collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift store finds!  (Read 696 times)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Thrift store finds!
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
A new thrift store opened up in town, and I've been itching to go in and check them out... today I got a chance, walked over from the nearest bus stop, and was sure there would be no ponies. All I could see was furniture and clothes. But then I wandered into the back room and bam, instantly I saw pony hair!

I found a whole heap of G1 ponies in a toy bucket; I thought I must be dreaming! I kept digging and found more and more; I got my first baby pony, my first boy (Wigwam!!) my first Twinkle Eyes... This is the first time I've ever had such luck in a thrift store (up until now I've found some G3 and G4 McDonald's toys and some common newer ponies...)

One of the girls has her hair cut super short... It's actually kind of cute, really punk-ish. Another one (can't think of her name, she has a 3D ice cream symbol) has a hair trim right between her forelock and the rest of her hair... very awkward looking.

All of them are FILTHY. Lots of dirt, sticky stuff, tangled hair (though mostly uncut, yay!) and some marker marks... The only big thing that's jumping out at me are some worrying dark spots on a lot of them. Time to look into Pony mold removal?

Pictures to come in a little while, I'm still bouncing off the walls from finding all these ponies. I actually had to pass on some older looking fakies and G3 mcdonalds ponies... the store only took cash and so did my barber. (I ended up spending too much to get my haircut anyway, lol!) Pony gods, if I'm asleep, don't wake me up.

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: Thrift store finds!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Oh what a lucky find, hopefully they will clean up nicely!

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
Wow congrats on such a big find! It is so thrilling to find G1s at the thrift store. I almost had a heart attack when I found a really decent condition and working Pretty Vision. Deffinitely a dream of mine to find some boys though.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
I wasnt sure what to do with all these grungy ponies, so I dumped them out in the bathtub, ran some warm water, and went right for the magic eraser. Some of them cleaned up alright, and I think are in pretty good condition; others are gonna be in for a long recovery.

Didn't do anyone's hair yet, so it's pretty tangled on most of them still:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here's G3 Luau, G1 "Newborn" Tappy, err... some other G3 pony, Quackers (check out her hair!) Sea Breeze (might have tail rust, or might just have a filthy tail) and Sherbert. (Slight mane trim, maybe some missing paint on her symbols' edges.

Flower Bouquet (very faded hair!) Wigwam (possible mold spot) and a very very blue Sweet Stuff.

The other side of her head is similarly "decorated"... you can also see what I assume is mold near the top of her leg.

Quackers isn't as white as my camera would have you believe, and she's the most worrying mold-wise.

Mold and markers and mane trims aside... Ponies! I still can't believe that I found G1s here in town! The best part is that all nine of them together came out to $4.25. I think I've just used up all my pony luck for 2013.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »
Congrats on your new ponies :)  I hope you can get that pony cancer taken care of.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
Oh dear, so it's cancer... Have we found a way to get rid of that yet? :0

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
wow congrats! I'm always happy when manky ponies are picked up by someone who wants to clean them up :) Good luck and congrats!

ETA: and yes, Sweet Stuff most definitely has cancer, but that is quite common for that pony, unfortunately. As for the cure, don't think there is one but there should be some tips in restoration treads ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
ohh a super congrats to you I have not found any ponies in a long while here.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
Oh my goodness.  What a heap of G1s!!! It must have been so exciting digging them all out of the basket.  Wigwarm is my favourite boy btw.  He has such stunning blue eyes :D

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
w w w w wWOW!  Good for you!  Wigwam found at thrift!  that's just awesome.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
I've started working on cleaning the G1s up tonight. Flower Bouquet cleaned up so beautiful and white it's like she's barely been touched! Aside from her blush rubs and some frizziness in her mane and tail, she's just perfect. All of her flowers are so vibrant. Some little kid did nothing but brush this pony, lol.

Baby Tappy smells a bit weird (it's a scent I recognize, but can't put my finger on... maybe some popular toy disinfectant or something) but her symbols are almost perfect, and I think maybe her hair was in its original curl...

Unfortunately I made a mistake in diagnosing Sea Breeze with tail rust... her mane and tail were coming out in clumps, and I thought for sure after cleaning that the darkness at the base of her tail would mean she was full of rust inside... Her head was so difficult to get off, and some of the plastic of her body actually tore! There's a little split under her chin now, and a big split along the seam where her wing connects to her back... I just wanted to check for rust and possibly rehair her, now I don't know what to do. :( Poor girl. I've never had a pony's plastic pull apart like that. I'm hopeful that if I can get some sort of sculpting clay of some sort, maybe I can fix those little tears and paint them over, and learn to rehair for her. Such a downer.

I'm waiting to tackle the mold/cancer/??? ponies until I can diagnose each individual spot for certain. Hopefully by tomorrow I can know what to do with them.

(Also, both the G3 ponies turned out to be from some special Walmart exclusive set, woohoo!)

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:23 PM »
You struck pony gold :D!.  Congrats on your wonderful finds.  They look to be cleaning up fairly well. 
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

Offline zzzova

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
Aw you got some really nice ponies!! :) congrats!

Everythings Peachy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »
Nice Ponies, I wish I had your luck! :biggrin:

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
your finds are awesome congrats :)