collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need some help from some amazing Canadian peeps  (Read 370 times)

Offline wyndeboo

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Need some help from some amazing Canadian peeps
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:53:06 AM »
I hope this is the right place to ask this  :blush:

One of my good friends is moving to Canada, and I would like to send her packages.  :biggrin:
I have a few questions about mailing and customs if someone could help me out please?

How long does it take to get a package from the US to Canada? Ontario area?

On the customs form if I mark the item as a gift will she have to pay import fee/ tax?

Is there anything that I should not send like food or candies so her package would not get delayed by customs?

I know some countries are strict on what they let be mailed in. THanks for any help advice    :biggrin: :biggrin:

[moving to Trader Support ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:16:00 AM by hathorcat »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help from some amazing Canadian peeps
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:06:33 AM »
We..are a lot like the US, hun.  Its not like your shipping something to mars ;)

It depends on the method of shipping something more then the location.  A package can arrive anywhere between the next day to 2 weeks.

As far as customs go, usually if you say its a gift and its a low value, they wont get nailed, BUT that's not always the case.  Its luck of the draw and customs are frankly...well insert nasty words here.  Ive been nailed for a legit gift of  a value of $25 before--and I believe they ask for 1/3 (I think? Maybe a bit less then that?) of what its worth for duty.

that said, ive gotton things worth $50 and haven't been nailed.

As far as what extras to include, again, its a lot like the US.  I would go to your PO and ask if you want to send something specific.  I know things like plant seeds are a no go, and I have no idea what the protocols are for baked goods.  Use your best judgement :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:15:10 AM »
The most important thing is to NEVER ship from USA to Canada via UPS. They will tack on all sorts of extra fees and charges, border crossing fee, a paperwork fee, etc.

As for how long it takes, anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks. Same departure point, same arrival point.  How long it takes seems to vary a huge amount with no real pattern. It just finished being extremely slow, possibly due to the holidays, but it wasn't slow last year at the same time.

Forbidden items are the usual stuff: anything dangerous (including batteries), alcohol, anything flammable. Things that may be legal in the States can't be imported (strange things, like taxidemied animals, animal or plant parts, soil, anything alive needs a permit).  As for foods, there are some limitations, but it is mostly for perishable and valuable stuff: meat, milk, cheese all come to mind.

If the total of a GIFT package is under $60 Cdn, then there are no customs or duty fees. (Just make sure you check the 'gift' box - things we purchase that are imported are duty free under only $20).

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Canada/

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:19:01 AM »

If the total of a GIFT package is under $60 Cdn, then there are no customs or duty fees. (Just make sure you check the 'gift' box - things we purchase that are imported are duty free under only $20).

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Canada/

It may have changed but I still stand by my statement.  From what ive been told they select random packages and open them.  If they believe its not a gift they slap on duty.  The $60 may be a number but is never ever guaranteed <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:41:05 AM »
Congrats to your friend on the move!  I recently moved in the opposite direction (Canada to the US) - it's been interesting!

One thing to note is that toys are subject to customs fees in Canada, whereas they aren't in the US (my doll-collecting side loves having crossed the border for exactly that reason) - so while someone shipping to the us can avoid charges by marking a package as "doll", the same isn't true shipping in to Canada.

On food: sending meat, fruit, vegetable, and alcohol products will get your package flagged (if it's opened), but sweets and snack foods are no problem.

It may have changed but I still stand by my statement.  From what ive been told they select random packages and open them.  If they believe its not a gift they slap on duty.  The $60 may be a number but is never ever guaranteed <3

Yeah, my experience has been pretty random on that as well.  Although it depends on the port of entry, I think.   When I lived in Toronto (and later Hamilton) I found packages that enter through the Mississauga customs office generally moved faster and were never taxed if they were under $80, while when I lived in Calgary, the Vancouver office seemed to take longer and have more random charges.

I'd also second the comment about not using couriers - since they tend to charge tax on both the item value and the shipping cost, while regular post only uses the price of the item to determine the charge.

Blog

Offline wyndeboo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
thank you hathorcat for moving this to the correct area :)
and many thanks to everyone for the wonderful help. I believe I will be using the post office to mail her packages. Hopefully I will get to go to Ontario to visit :)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
You may have to be wary of some things that you might not even think are an issue. I'm a Meat Hygiene Officer for the Provincial government here in Ontario, and I know that things like dog/cat food, treats and the like will get confiscated at the border. Also, items which may be from animals, like taxidermy, can be a sticking point as well. They may have to have proof of the origins of that item. Of course, things like filled lighters and firecrackers, etc aren't allowed, and shipping medications may not be either.

Offline wyndeboo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
thank you for mentioning that

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »
You've got a lot of great tips and information thus far. I can honestly say that with over 500+ ebay and arena purchases, I have only ever paid customs/import charges on 3 of them. So I wouldn't worry about that too much :)

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
You've got a lot of great tips and information thus far. I can honestly say that with over 500+ ebay and arena purchases, I have only ever paid customs/import charges on 3 of them. So I wouldn't worry about that too much :)

Nice.  When I was actively collecting, 8 years or so ago, I used to have a good portion of my pony parcels get stopped by customs, but I am on the other side of the country.  I had found that the more parcels I got in a period of time the more likely they got stopped.  At least, that's what it seemed like.

Wyndeboo, I do hope you get to visit your friend in Canada. :)
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »
Thanks for all your help Canadians!!!!  :hug:

I hope shipping will go smoothly for you wyndeboo!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline wyndeboo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:28:52 AM »
Thank you everyone. You have all been so amazingly helpful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal