collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Dolls?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
Re: Why Dolls?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 02:58:38 AM »
Honestly, why not?
It's not the first time we saw dolls in MLP or that we saw "MLP spin-off creatures". Even the High School setting is nothing really new. I think "MLP Tales" was at least as cliché as "Equestria Girls" is. Add in the fact that Hasbro wants to sell some dolls and this whole thing really isn't surprising.

I mostly don't get why it bothers people this much
. Equestria Girls is pretty easy to avoid and it's not like they have replaced the MLP toyline. I mean, MLP didn't turn into Equestria Girls. It's just a spin-off.

Well people have different tastes, even if is a spin off, when a new stuff comes from a line theres ALWAYS going to be people who agree and others disagree

Sure, i understand that. I just think it's silly to act as if these dolls suddenly ruined everything we already got.

Well like people have mentioned here, part of the issue is that you get the filling  the pony toys and the more animal type stuff have beeing pushed aside to get all the attention in the human hybrids.

Just the movie itself is an example, it was shown at theaters witout a doubt by Hasbro, after nearly 30 years when  the 80s one was shown , in those years they didn't have interest at all in showing a movie again, even when they found out that G4 became so popular.

An also knowing how the market for ponies have grown, they keep making only the main 6 for the common stores and making a few characters exclusive for US only selected stores.

And not only collectors suffer for this, I have heard several times little girls saying that they already have all of the mane 6, and that they want new ponies, I don't get why Hasbro don't want that money.

I really don't know if the pony toys got pushed aside because of EG. I'm pretty sure we would be in the same situation without EG and i think EG is going to suffer from the same problems. The same characters as dolls, released over and over again. That and packs you will have to buy to get a certain character, like Luna or Sunset Shimmer.

I think EG is just getting a lot of attention because it is new and still needs to get released in a lot of countries. I really don't feel like they are taking the place of another product.
I think MLP is doing great and it has not had this many fans in years. That's why they showed the movie in theaters (in some countries). Hasbro is just being "greedy" by taking the easy road when it comes to the regular brushables. I think as long as they can get away with it, they will just keep tossing out re-releases. It's just cheaper.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 04:49:16 AM »
There are a zillion and one toy dolls out there, more then enough to choose from for children(adults) who like dolls. But MLP is the only pony toy line.

This is how I feel, exactly! This is the reason MLP were always my favourite toys, because they WERE NOT HUMAN!
and the whole high-school, cheerleader, prom queen thing they have going for these dolls is just .... so uninspired to say the least!
I wasn't a fan of G4 but I understood that it's all just a matter of taste, but with the dolls, I positively feel betrayed by my favourite toy company :( At least my wallet is safe though.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

CrystalJapan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »
Honestly the equestria girls movie was inoffensive enough and just kind of plain but i feel like the dolls could of been designed better.
Disregarding the fact that they aren't all ball-jointed, the fact that their top on some of them is painted on really turned me off, i wasn't considering buying them anyway but, the whole peg legs and painted on clothing isn't exactly appealing.
Especially the fact that on the sunset shimmer pack with twilight they are using the exact mould used for her regular doll so it has that shirt imprint on her skin.
I feel like the whole "longer strand of hair symbolising the tail" wouldn't exactly be the best either, give the doll a tail! or even just a clip on or magnet hair piece!

I don't know i just look at it and think that hasbo tried to make money but cut a whole lot of corners with it and made it look generally unappealing.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
I think Hasbro believes that if they can take an extremely popular line and turn it into dolls, they will be able to compete with other doll lines and make even more money.

You hit the nail on the head with this one.
With the popularity of Bratz, Monster High etc, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
It's the ultimate sell-out in my opinion though.. and I think it's lame that Hasbro thought it was something they had to do to win favor with young girls.
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »
It's the ultimate sell-out in my opinion though.. and I think it's lame that Hasbro thought it was something they had to do to win favor with young girls.

exactly!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
It's all about the money. Hasbro wants a piece of the MH pie, I guess. I have not seen the movie and do not care to, but looking over the dolls in stores I really don't care for them. Their face sculpts are just really boring to me. I wouldn't buy one regardless of it's connection to MLP; just not my cup of tea.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

liely

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
I don't like equestria girls dolls. they are of bad quality and not good-looking

Offline RavenWolf

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »
It's all about the money. Hasbro wants a piece of the MH pie, I guess. 

Then why not make monster themed ponies instead of pony themed dolls?  ;) then they could cash in on the monster popularity without losing the pony-ness of MLPs

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:15 PM »
I thought the movie was a cute kids movie with some funny moments that older fans could chuckle at.
Really though that's what has to be remembered. Hasbro is a company that sells toys, and their job is to make money. No one is forced to buy the toys or watch the movie of course, and I highly doubt Hasbro would completely stop making ponies.
That being said I am also a little disappointed with the dolls. I liked how they ended up in the movie but was sad the dolls still had the ears and hair/tails going on.

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 10:53:34 PM »
I SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN- If Hasbro wanted a doll line, we should have ethier gotten a Jem or Moondreamers revival. :(

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

pineapple

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 05:20:43 AM »
Jem is apparently stuck in rights hell, but yes it would've been perfect for a reboot.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
The new Jem could have taken place in high school if they really wanted to. Make her into a cross between Hannah Montanna and Lady Gaga for total pop culture awesome points. Tho for all we know they could be working on developing it right now and just made EG as something to fill the spot until its done. They cleared the rights issues long ago and the reruns were popular enough that it would be foolish not to.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:49:34 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

BowtieG1

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 10:41:32 AM »
Arguably they have rebooted Jem. They released a set of four ultra-collectible dolls based on the old series, but I guess everybody wants a mainstream reboot aimed at kids?

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
Honestly, why would Hasbro bother rebooting Jem when they got something far more popular? Especially since the concept of Jem has been done to death too.

pineapple

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
Why would they take My Little Pony and drain all the charm out of it to make it fit into the most generic high school setting ever?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal