collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Minimalist Living!  (Read 872 times)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Minimalist Living!
« on: July 06, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
I have been doing a lot of reading on this stuff. I like it cause it does almost fit me. Does anyone else read or live that life? I know that I have more money in my account and have not bought any extra things for over a month now.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalist Living!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:09:27 PM »
I think I am way too attached to my collections to go for the minimalist lifestyle!  It would be nice to have free space in the house for a change though :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:46:01 AM »
My dad lives in a small place, and hasn't bought anything new in forever... except the things he needs. And even then, he uses things till they get worn down. (X_X; He used the same pot holder for 20 years, until I bought him a new one a few years ago).

I can't tell you how much I admire that. And how much I want to be like that. But I have stuff. :< I've been selling it, but in the end, I'll still have stuff.

Cuz he's had things paid off for years (house, cars), he's never wasteful, always resourceful... probably has a nice savings (which is needed, to retire in this world...).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:17:02 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »
I care very much about the environment so I try not to waste or use too many things. without exaggerating, 90% of the things I own here in Iceland are second hand, and those that aren't are necessities i couldn't find 2nd hand:) I'm not familiar with the exact concept of minimal living so i'm not sure I have anything to do with it, but I try not to be wasteful :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »
I think im a lot like my dad.  Im by no stretch of the imagination a packrat but a lot of things hold sentimental value to me.

And I wanted to be an interior designer growing up.  So theres the artist side of me that needs something to be there and look great :)

But yes, as far as using things, I do try to 'wear it down' before getting something new, if possible.  That I get from my nonna >>

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
I think it's awesome but not for me.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
I would not do that one were they live with under 100 things. Cause I have over 300 ponies!!! LOL   But I have been putting it in other places in my life. It does feel good to not buy things that I do not need right now. 

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »
I have a bit of a hoarder thing in me... LOL

I am trying to reduce the unnecessary things I buy lately and sell the things I don't want nor need. I'll still have a lot of things, but I am trying to stop for a bit because not only do I not have the money to be spending on random stuff, but also I don't have enough space to keep unnecessary stuff at the moment. So, I am working in the direction of just having less but having what I really like and need instead :)

Eaglefeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
I think that minimalism is a great way to live, as it's easy to get caught up in too many material distractions and be buried in stuff we really don't need instead of focusing on family and the things we do need and like most. The problem that I have with it is that it would be near impossible for me to give away my many items that hold sentimental value. I've found that it's a whole lot easier to not buy new items than get rid of my old treasures.

A few months ago, I was able to spend a few days in an Amish community. The family I stayed with had only the things they needed and liked the most, which made their home very tidy and open despite them having five young kids in the house. (The kids had a few MLP fakies by the way!) The same went for other homes in the community. Even if I was there for only less than a week, I forgot about the internet and whatnot and focused more on spending time with the families and my friends who came along. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:20:50 PM by Eaglefeather »

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »
I have been reading a lot of sites about it . A lot of the things that I have gotten out of it is.
1. You have less stress due to having lots of things around you.
2. You have less things you have to clean and insure and worry about.
3. You have more financial freedom.
4. You learn to enjoy life more and spend more time with the family.

There is no way that I could be a full blown Minimalist that is for sure. I do not buy extra things anymore. The only thing that I have spent extra money on has been my ponies. I have sold off most of my Breyers and have not looked back. 
I have been using coupons a lot more on food and other things that we need for personal care.

I just think that its neat what some people are able to do. I grew up with a mom that saved everything and I was always stressed out at home. When I got out and on my own I always kept things nice and neat around me. I have learned in the last few years that things do not make me happy. I was always wanting more and more to be happy. I sat back and looked at things. Its family and friends and my pets that make me truly happy :) And now I am happy were I am at in life. :)

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »
I could do it IF I didn't have kids. :) But I do, so I won't.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »
I know quite a few people that do and it works for them.  Not so much my thing, but whatever floats your boat!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
Yes its not for everyone. I think that having kids would make it even harder to do.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
I don't understand why having kids would make it harder. (I've read otherwise in articles).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
Ya I have read about it also. I have read families that have done it right away when they were little. And others that have done it when the kids were getting older. It was harder on the kids then the adults. I also read one were this family did not do it with your oldest and they did with there youngest. It was crazy how different they were when it came to wanting things and have an attachment to items. Guess its how we all were taught about things in life.

Love to read all kinds of things on the internet :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal