collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Uneven Tails?  (Read 362 times)

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
Uneven Tails?
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
Still mostly a novice but I'm cleaning up some G1's from a lot, and I'm noticing some of their tails are uneven.  I don't think they're cut, it'll just have one small chunk that's abnormally long in relation to the rest.

Is it just the metal piece in the tail giving out from over brushing, or age?  Should I be worried about tail rust in these?  Or is something else weird going on that I should know about.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Uneven Tails?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 06:13:50 PM »
Still mostly a novice but I'm cleaning up some G1's from a lot, and I'm noticing some of their tails are uneven.  I don't think they're cut, it'll just have one small chunk that's abnormally long in relation to the rest.

Is it just the metal piece in the tail giving out from over brushing, or age?  Should I be worried about tail rust in these?  Or is something else weird going on that I should know about.

It may have been trimmed from being frizzy and hair can pull out unevenly when you brush it regardless of how careful you are.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:15:22 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »
also, if it's roughly half the tail, then the washer can be on crooked, that's pretty common too. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 06:20:15 AM »
It's pretty common to have slightly uneven tails. The main reasons have already been mentioned. If you're noticing discoloration around the tail hole or even bleeding onto the tail that's brownish it's time to take them apart (sometimes it is super obvious). Some you can tell if they need to be cleaned by holding them up to the sun (or the bottoms of their feet have discoloration that seems darker than the rest of the body).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:54:34 AM »
The tail clamps on US/UK ponies are generally so aggressive it's nigh impossible to pull out hair from them - however I've come across one or two where the machine didn't crimp it completely, which left the tail hair loose.  How much hair are we talking here? That'll narrow things down to the possible reason some.   I've also seen a couple ponies where they had a bit of extra hair length on a very small section of mane or tail, likely because the manufacturing machine didn't cut it at the right point.  Again not common, but it does happen.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
I have certainly come across a lot of ponies over the years with tail clamps that are not central on the hair which means the hair is uneven. It is normally easy to spot as 1/2 of the tail is going to be shorter than the other 1/2. However you do also get cases of there being a few hairs longer than the rest of the tail but again we would only be talking about a few hairs that have managed to dislodge themselves over time, seldom enough that you would even notice unless on close inspection.

Do  you perhaps have a photo of the ponies affected?

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
This is a fairly common flaw... a lot of times the tails just weren't pulled through evenly at the factory. If it's about half of the tail that's longer, that's usually the culprit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal