collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER WARNING!)  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER WARNING!)
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
I saw it yesterday in 3D, and I'm still in awe. It was amazing! When we walked into the Millenium Falcon for the first time, I could have cried! It felt as if finally you yourself were able to touch the walls and the machines, amazing 3D, the first time I really really enjoyed that. When Han ... So sad. Like a good friend had gone. I was so mad when Leia told him she still loved him, and he didn't reply... Why...
Splendid movie that I must watch one more time.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
Speculation for future films (possible spoilers?):

Spoiler
My friend thinks Ren (the villain) and Rey will turn out to be twins.  I kind of hope they don't because I feel like Leia and Han would have mentioned it in passing, but at the same time . . . Ren and Rey.  Those are kind of "Newborn Twins" matching names, ha ha.

Spoiler
Bwahaha! Perfect Newborn Twin names. My sister also is speculating along the same lines; I would find it a little repetitious, but at the same time I'd like it. Yeah, you'd think Leia and Han would mention it. Rey does look like Leia, or especially her possible grandmother Padme. Or maybe Ren and Rey are cousins.

Tonight my brother mentioned that maybe the next Star Wars movie will be something like a remake of The Empire Strikes Back. Kylo Ren will corner Rey after a fierce fight and then say . . . "No -- I am your brother." Cue Rey: "Nooooooooo!" :snicker:

But the stand out for me was Kylo Ren. Oh my god was he amazing. I was so worried he'd be a Vader rip off, but instead he's arrogant and whiny and throws tantrums and god are they brilliant. This is what Anakin should have been like in the prequels. He's not a full villain yet. As in the first movies we watched Luke become a hero, i like that in this one we're watching someone become a villain. He's just so awesome :D (i could literally gush about him all day lol XD)

I thought he was awesome, as well! I like it when villains break the mold a little, and he's not a stereotypical villain. He's definitely what Anakin should have been like in the prequels. Moody, rebellious, conflicted, and dangerous in an out-of-control, I-need-to-prove-myself way.

BB-8 was so cute also, planning to get one of the iPhone ones myself.

I don't know about anyone else though, but does anyone think that Kylo Ren's actual father is really going to turn out to be Severus Snape? And we'll have some weird and cool cross over, lol. I thought there was more than a resemblance.

BB-8 was so very cute! In some ways he was too similar to R2-D2 (cute, obviously, plucky, and the bearer of an important piece of information), but I'm willing to forgive the filmmakers because of his cuteness. Yeah, and Kylo Ren does look suspiciously like Severus Snape  :biggrin:

I just adored it. Agreed with Beldarna that it felt like coming home, and like being a child again and becoming immersed in the world and invested in the characters. Big ol' post underneath, true spoilers are extra spoilered.

Spoiler
Leaving aside plot spoilers for the moment, the production was just light years ( ;) sorry) ahead of the prequels. It's a return to the classic movies with physical props, real locations, and awesome stunts. There are elements of CGI, obviously, but I don't think any of the locations were purely created like the prequels with their green rooms and green props and only the physical actor trying to play off of nothing.

A place gets destroyed and there's rubble and dust and choking confusion that the heroes have to battle through, Rey struggles through life in an actual desert where food and water are precious, an anxious Finn sweats and shakes and seems nauseous, on other planets the tree trunks get touched and leaves move and there's moss growing in the cracks, rocks and boulders are climbed on and cobblestones click under heel and snow gets piled up and scraped away in drifts and the sun sets and the rain lashes down and the wind whips the character's hair and clothes. Lightsaber fights are the best return to old, characters struggle and stumble and fall and roll and thrash and wail on each other and are hurt and cry out in a way that feels wonderfully unchoreographed and naturalistic for their age, experience and emotional state. All of the tiny little things that you wouldn't even notice or would take for granted in another film suddenly feel rich, meaningful, and give TFA a depth and a character that the clean, pretty, empty worlds of the prequel lacked. On-set physical-prop movies make my heart soar, and bless the production teams for doing their absolute best with this.

Some find it a flaw, but I love it - nearly everything in this is recognisable STAR WARS™ stuff. The ships, the locations, the structures, the people, the events, the backstories, the motivations and the actions are all continuous story beats from the original trilogy. What's added brand new feels organic and complete, like it was always meant to be there, and nothing jarred me out of my immersion for the full 2 hours. It's a little darker than the originals, a little bit more blood and violence for a PG film, but it strikes me that it's more an effect of modern day movies where we can get more detail visually due to CGI and prop advancements. The same kinds of thing happened before, but it was softened by being off screen or without sound effect or the classic sword-under-arm acting. Some of TFA shocked me so that I wanted to turn away and cry, but ultimately that's for the good. I can hardly remember the last time a movie was real enough to pull such strong emotion from me.

character and plot spoilers
Ren having temper tantrums and flailing around with his light saber was kind of goofy but I think necessary to show that he's still human, that he has anger and frustation and anxiety over his role, and that he is not on the same level as Vader was. I really love the family aspect of the movies - when he addressed Vader as grandfather it was like oh. That's a fact. Leia's father, Ren's grandpappy.

I adore that Rey has a fatherly relationship with her uncles Han and Chewie, and that she finds comfort and support in auntie Leia, even if the movie does not address it in so many words. I like the symmetry of Luke/Leia and Ren/Rey. Leia didn't seem to exhibit any force until she had been in Luke's company for a while, and by the end of Return, she could vaguely sense and know things. Rey similarly had no force potential until Ren exposed her to it. I love that as a descendant of Luke, the superior trained Jedi, Rey's raw power is miles ahead of Ren, and that she quickly adapted when pressured. That acting when she was in the chair trying to influence the trooper's mind was incredible, hat's off to Daisy Ridley, she's going so many places after this.

I did wonder why Ren never used his power to tell someone to give him their secrets, but only used his hands. I theorise that his influence may not work when expressed vocally because he does not truly believe in himself. Leia speaks from the heart and although Han is a great deceiver, when it comes down to it he's brutally honest. I think Ren is struggling with the dark side and cannot fully give himself over. I think he wants to believe and think and feel and act in the manner of the dark side, but can't. He's certainly trying, and he is making grand gestures of evil, but ultimately he's a little runaway boy with big emotions and not enough maturity to control or express them in a suitable manner. Nice symmetry to Anakin but not nearly as badly handled.

For someone who was like "eh, I guess I like SW, and I just don't want to be spoiled, so I'll see it early but I'm not hyped at all" to come out gasping with emotion and tears in my eyes and gushing about the details is a testament to it. It reignited the love I have for the brand, an old almost forgotten love that only existed for a few years between my birth (91) and prequel release (99). I'm eagerly anticipating the sequels already and I think I might even buy some merch, maybe lego sets. Goddamnit Lucas, you've got your fingers in my wallet! I never thought this would happen but I'm enjoying myself so much. I love everything right now, this and other elements surrounding the release (StarCade anyone?) have totally made my christmas this year.

:thumb:

I'm still trying to figure out what I thought about the movie (just saw it yesterday for the first time). I thought it was awesome that they used so little CGI, and I *loved* Daisy Ridley as Rey. She has excellent acting instincts and played a nuanced fierce, independent girl without falling into the weird superwoman cliche -- you could still relate to her, strong as she was; she had her flaws and fears like any of us. I liked Po Dameron a lot; he delivered my favorite line,

Spoiler
when he was first captured and brought before Kylo Ren, something like, "Can you -- can you take that mask off? 'Cuz, it's like, really hard to understand you when --"  :haha:

I liked having Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford return to their roles, but I feel kind of . . . disoriented. It doesn't help that I had just watched The Empire Strikes Back the weekend before and they had been 30-ish years younger. I couldn't help but feel like the movie was a really, really good fanfiction version of Star Wars or even a remake of A New Hope. But it wasn't a bad movie at all! I'd recommend going even if just to see Rey, ha ha. Pretty ironic, since I didn't think I'd like her going in to the movie.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:48:52 PM by Haruna »

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
I've seen it twice now, once in imax and once normal 2d. Might even go see it a 3rd time before its out of theatres. I thought it was done really well. There were a few things I maybe would have liked to have seen done slightly differently but for the most part I thought it was pretty amazing.
My partner is a 501st member and a pretty big fan of the franchise. I've liked it but admittedly I feel like the new movie really made me "get it" in a way I never had such an interest before, which is pretty awesome. (We've been discussing particular scenes and theories somewhat extensively since we saw the movie but I won't get into it here right now.) It's going to be such a long wait until ep. 8. Several characters I want to see in action again.
I'm so very glad I avoided news and spoilers as best I could on this beforehand now. Many moments could have been ruined I think.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:49:19 PM by Flitter »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
It was okay. The plot was predictable, they felt like they played it safe and ky lo ren was a crappy sith.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »
hubby, I and our son looooooooooooooooooove it so so much but OMG why oh why do i come out of these movies falling for the bad guy  :blush:  :lookround:

that aside i and even husband cried i tear for Han, i knew it was coming as soon as he walked out on that bridge  :cry:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:drool:
what a cool baddie  though, love the custom, love the voice. it was bound to happen since i just love Darth Vader when i was a little kid.
second love was the huge storm trooper, i was really hoping they would have shown her face  ;)
also love Rey and Finn, great cast, very well put together. its going to be a very long wait ...... 2 yrs  -_-

Spoiler
i feel Ren liked Rey too much in the end and maybe let her win.....or cos he was so badly injured etc.
oh if they weren't related  :lookround: hehe but it all looks like she is Luke's daughter

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
I was able to see it yesterday.

The first time I was able to see a Star Wars movie--pretty much in 1 sitting (minus bathroom breaks)...which says something.

A few things that got to me..I don't like the actor for Ren/Ben.  Keep the mask on and its all good.  Take it off and I feel like im looking at Snape.

I did enjoy his temper tantrums though.  That was a nice unexpected direction.

I have a few speculations on who the girl is..and I keep on getting asked that.  But I don't know for sure and I wont know until someone says something ._.

I need to remember that a lot of what was cannon isn't anymore.  That kept on messing with me on 'but didn't so and so have  or do this?'

Things were also kind of predictable.  Though you didn't want it to happen stuff..happened and you knew it would happen.  im hoping they break away from that predictability.  Maybe int he future they can break 'Snape' and convert him >>

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 02:58:07 PM »
I got heartbroken when one of my favorite characters died and I lost a bit of the story while trying to cope.
Was it by any chance
Spoiler
Han Solo?

Yes.

Pffft-hahahaha! I called it.  :accomplished:

Spoiler
I sooo called it from the beginning, that somebody vital is going to die in a slow, heartbreaking, 'fatal wound' type scene. I even made a bet with my family that it's going to be him. Who else would've been a better candidate, really? Just look at poor Harrison Ford:

All he wants to do is retire. Being put out of this misery that is Hollywood. :lol:
Okay, I'm done.

The man is in his 70s it was obvious that he was having a hard time getting around. It looked like he had kind of a limp. Granted they had him on some rough terrain but even on flat surfaces it was quite obvious age has caught up to him. I was not surprised at all.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
Finally got to see this last weekend and I loved it! Such a great old school feel to it, yet the new characters were interesting and engaging too.  I am very much excited for the next movie.

I was a tad disappointed though that
Spoiler
Han and Leia were not still together. I understand what happened with Ben drove them apart but they were my ultimate SW couple!!! 

Offline h1m3.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2016, 01:33:57 AM »
I saw the movie in December. I didn't expect much so I was nicely suprised how good it was at first. Then thinking more it is same plot over again... Good but they did play it save. It is more like nostalgia movie than new story..

Spoiler
I have to ask, did anyone else feel like Kylo should keep his mask on at all times after he removed it the first time? It brought too many memories back of Anakin and I was just always thinking, "No, no...no, put it back on there buddy." Plus, with his voice and everything it was just underwhelming to see this fresh faced kid beneath the mask. It was really the only thing that bothered me about the movie.
Spoiler
Oh goodness yes. He is so ugly and so ridiculous and every time he appeared on screen after that it took me out of the whole film. Especially when the first time he takes off his mask the camera spends a whole lot of time focusing on him for a totally pointless scene. It was like he was supposed to be in an awkward comedy movie but somehow wandered onto the Star Wars set instead.

Yep same feeling here.

Spoiler
Keep your helmet on, please! He looked weird without it. The voice and all. No offence no one can do nothing to his/hers face without surgery but those lips!!! There were like girls swollen lips LOL sorry! He didn't look badass at all! ruined the feeling...
Also I got the same feeling with him as with Hayden Christensen. He didn't fit to the role at all and he felt like everything you said to him (in the movie) he would act like a teenager.. rebel and rebel and being stupid...

Speculation for future films (possible spoilers?):

Spoiler
My friend thinks Ren (the villain) and Rey will turn out to be twins.  I kind of hope they don't because I feel like Leia and Han would have mentioned it in passing, but at the same time . . . Ren and Rey.  Those are kind of "Newborn Twins" matching names, ha ha.

This would be so horrible scene! (but those matchy names foreshadows something  >_< ).It would be so predictable and boring. I remember someone said same theory at the movie theatre (I was eavesdropping unintentionally :p)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2016, 03:02:05 AM »
Spoiler
I think she might be Luke's daughter.  :satisfied:

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
I'm one of those ignorant people that haven't actually seen any Star Wars films before, so I was mostly indifferent about seeing the movie. But I was dragged to the theater to see it, twice, and I actually did like it! I wish I could experience that "homecoming" feeling as well, though. It was good, but it just felt like a very well-done movie to me. Though, I do want to see the classics now.

Although, I was disappointed by one thing:
Spoiler
Phasma! I love Gwendoline Christie, she was the main reason I folded so easy and went to see it in the first place. But then her role was so small and she was (presumably) just shoved in the trash compactor XD

Edit: Nevermind, IMDB lists her as being in the next film as well. We're cool, Star Wars!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:08:03 PM by Jocelyn »

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
I'm one of those ignorant people that haven't actually seen any Star Wars films before, so I was mostly indifferent about seeing the movie. But I was dragged to the theater to see it, twice, and I actually did like it! I wish I could experience that "homecoming" feeling as well, though. It was good, but it just felt like a very well-done movie to me. Though, I do want to see the classics now.

Although, I was disappointed by one thing:
Spoiler
Phasma! I love Gwendoline Christie, she was the main reason I folded so easy and went to see it in the first place. But then her role was so small and she was (presumably) just shoved in the trash compactor XD

Edit: Nevermind, IMDB lists her as being in the next film as well. We're cool, Star Wars!

If she is in the next film, I really want to know how she got out of the trash compactor. Deleted scene, mayhap?

I've seen the movie 3 times. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I am a sci-fi nut, so I did like the movie. I at first didn't like mini-Vader's face when he removed the helmet because he was younger than I expected. On repeat viewings though, there's a lot of facial nuance in the scenes where he's not wearing the helmet, which I assume is why the helmet's gone.

It was a very good film, but frankly no film can satisfy me until its May and I can see Captain America: Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal