collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are older MLP toys still child safe?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
Are older MLP toys still child safe?
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
What got me thinking is I heard someone passively mention that at some point in G1 there was a problem with lead in the paint used in ponies.  I'm not sure if that is true or not, but it got me thinking about the older toys in general and if there were any hazards with them.  I'm aware than one should be cautious with older toys in general, but I'm mostly just wondering about known, confirmed problems with the toys.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: Are older MLP toys still child safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
It's said that some of the compounds (pthalates, mainly) used in the vinyl plastic might not be safe for kids, especially older plastic as it begins to break down.

I found one page stating that these plastics are safe, but also labeled those who caution against letting kids play with vinyl toys as "environmental extremists" so they seem to have an agenda in claiming that these toys are okay for kids to handle. Of course a toy industry page is going to claim that plastic toys are safe. This is the most reasonable answer I've found:

"The question is being debated. The evidence available so far is based on animal studies, and no extensive, conclusive human study has been conducted. Most experts agree that many findings from the numerous animal studies that have been done may be relevant to humans — and that more research is needed." - http://www.babycenter.com/0_phthalates-what-you-need-to-know_3647067.bc?page=2#articlesection3
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »
This has come up in the past and I believe they'd have to be tested.
However, if 80s kids played with them, I wouldn't be too worried. Am I curious? Yeah.   :wonder:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »
...although, I guess it depends on the kid.  I know I'm not the only one who's seen those half-eaten ponies pop up every now & then. 

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:13 PM »
I'd say no.  I think. The plastic was/is designed to last the expected duration of use, which isn't much beyond a few years for a kid, and not guaranteed after that, esp knowing (as has been said above) that plastic in 80s mlps has been shown to degenerate.

I say go find some G3s or cheap G4s for the kids! (Walmart has the bagged ones again for 3$?)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 01:06:49 AM »
My concern would be leaking plasticizers, along with the pthalates. Plasticizer is added to plastic to make it soft and malleable, but over time (say, 20 years?) it starts to leech out of toys, and I'd worry about kids who may accidentally get it on their hands by handling the toy then rub their eyes/eat with their hands.

For a kid old enough to understand being careful with toys (which includes careful handling just to be safe), then I'd say go for it, but any kid younger than 5 or so I'd be wary with. :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
Considering all the other dangerous chemicals that humans are exposed to on a regular basis in today's world, I'd seriously stop worrying about your plastic ponies that make you happy!  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 07:10:01 AM »
Hahaha, I wasn't especially worried, but I was curious about it.  This was some good info!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
Considering all the other dangerous chemicals that humans are exposed to on a regular basis in today's world, I'd seriously stop worrying about your plastic ponies that make you happy!  :) 
I agree with this XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline EmBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »

Seriously like a mantra of mine!  I always have to remind myself I can't control everything that I'm exposed to, and using common sense I'll probably be okay.

Yeah, I don't see any problem with kiddies playing with G1s as long as they are of the age not to chew on them. :)

-Em

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
I agree totally!

Plus diet and exercise make a much bigger difference to health than environmental pollutants.
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
I agree totally!

Plus diet and exercise make a much bigger difference to health than environmental pollutants.

For some reason I thought the OP was mentioning toys in relation to little kids playing with them, whoops! :blush: But I will say I hold very similar beliefs (if only because I don't want to give up my ponies, so a little bit of plausible denial serves me very well XD), except in the case of kids. Their nervous systems are much more sensitive than an adult's, so a tiny amount or a chemical that might not bug an adult might seriously hurt a kid! So it's better safe than sorry in terms of kids, IMO, but adults should be fine (so long as we don't go around licking ponies)!

EDIT: ... I'm such a doofus ... in the TITLE OP asks if ponies are child safe. I need more sleep! :yikes:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:43:39 PM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
I personally am pretty careful about what of my toys kids handle - even some g3's are blacklisted due to being plasticizer prone. They can play with G3's and G4's, and they always wash their hands before food... I'm obsessive about hand washing with kids - I know the stuff I got into as a child!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
I wouldn't give a pony to a child I thought might stick it in their mouth.  I think even the modern ones say "ages 3 and up".

Actually, I would probably be hesitant to give any toddler a 2nd hand toy... or anything that hasn't been washed lately.  But that's because babies with tummy bugs are just not any fun to deal with.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline ringlets_

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »
I'd be careful with little kids that may chew, but otherwise I wouldn't stress about older kids. I agree that there is too much other stuff out there to be too concerned.  (Then again I grew up on a farm and used to run barefoot through the barnyard.)  :P

http://www.mlparena.com/gallery2/v/Collections/album105/
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/ringlets_1
Current pony count 1,101 - 519 G1, 23 G2, 407 G3, 14 G3.5, 139 G4. Plus a lot of duplicates. Also doesn't include blind bags, petites, dream beauties, etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal