collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going to my first convention soon... any advice?  (Read 431 times)

Bread

• Trade Count: (0)
Going to my first convention soon... any advice?
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
I'm planning on going to my first pony convention at the beginning of next month, and I want to make the most out of the experience, so I have a couple questions about how these things work:

- Do you usually get a map and/or a schedule of events at the entrance?
- Someone told me that cons usually require you to buy vouchers to get autographs. Could someone explain to me how this system works?
- I might buy some stuff while at the con. How big of a bag should I bring to hold all of it? (currently planning on taking a tote bag)

Also, any other advice you guys can offer would be much appreciated.  :biggrin:

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Going to my first convention soon... any advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:11:50 AM »
it all depends on the con! :)  def take a tote or a backpack, some of the booths times may have interesting freebies to pick up, as well as things to buy.

If there's a website for the con you are going to, they may have answers on their page: big cons do commonly charge for autographs, but smaller ones may not; a lot of it depends on the contract they have with the person(s) doing autographs.

remember the Most Important Thing at any con: have fun!!! 
Don't be afraid to ask people if you get confused, just make sure you are polite and you'll do fine. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:13:37 AM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:34:47 AM »
comfy shoes !!!!satchel or rucksac may be some bags for life to there is usualy an organisers table so you can ask for help if needs be  xaflamex

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:40:23 AM »
Just have fun, relax and take lots of money and a bag for your goodies! :cheer:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:38 AM »
Make sure you take cash! Usually it helps for it to be in smaller denominations so you don't need change all the time :) I'd also bring a camera to take pictures. I went to my first con in March (an anime con) and I took a messenger type of bag that worked great! I could hold all of my goodies and then some!

Thanks Whippetluv!

steampunk

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »
Make sure you take cash! Usually it helps for it to be in smaller denominations so you don't need change all the time :) I'd also bring a camera to take pictures. I went to my first con in March (an anime con) and I took a messenger type of bag that worked great! I could hold all of my goodies and then some!

Quoted for truth. Never been to PonyCons but I've been to comic, steampunk and other ones and the ATM line is the longest line there! I also suggest bringing bottled water and non-perishable snacks. You never know what the food situation is going to be like - if there is food it's usually overpriced and yuck, and a lot of bodies in a room make it hot quick.

And the most important tip - have fun!

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
Cash is a must if you plan on buying anything. Most people are not set up to take anything else, and they are very wary of taking paypal on the spot as well (charge back issues, you can't prove delivery of the pony).

Take small denominations, in the US I don't take anything larger than a $20 bill unless I plan on dropping a small penny on an expensive pony that I know will run over $100. Also make sure to take some $10's and $5's just in case your seller does not have access to change for a $20.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
Have fun!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »
Is it a Pony Convention you are going to? That will be fun!

Although most large Cons run similar to one another they can each have their own quirks depending on the scale of the Con itself.

For specific information including if you are ticket for queues or for panels you would be best to check our the Cons own FAQs - at small Cons this doesnt tend to be needed but at the larger scale events yes you often need to queue in order to get the right to queue somewhere else. :P

But if its just general advise - as OL1 and Party say - relax, take a camera and plenty of money [although make sure to budget yourself] as its always easy to spend spend spend at such events.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
  Bring easy food! Snack bar like granola bars and Nutrigrain bars were a must for me, because sometimes you just don't have the time for real food, or the money.  (Buying food in the hotel - is that where it's being held? - tends to be way too expensive.) Plus snack bars really easy to store and eat.
  I would definitely find a schedule as soon as you can, whether it be through a website or at the con itself. If it's a big convention, then some sort of schedule of events should be on the site.
  And remember, the cash machine there will always be out of money, so I reiterate what others have said: bring enough cash!! But don't show off the cash or wave it around. I like to keep cash and important papers in a fanny pack, with zipper pockets, situated at the front of my body. It looks silly, but it's very hard for people to pickpocket those if all the pockets are zipped and it's right within your line of sight. (And yes, people DO pickpocket and do it well.) Plus, when buying things, it's easy to just reach right down and get your money, and it doesn't hold up the line or crowd, if there is one. Then I use a bigger bag or a small backpack for merchandise, which people aren't much interested in stealing.
  That's all I can think of right now. I hope you love it at the con, they're quite fun!
I'll put something here some time

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »
1. Wear comfortable shoes--you will probably be on your feet a lot. 

2. Bring pain relievers and headache medicine--better to have them and not need them than the other way around.  It might not be a bad idea to bring a bottle of water and a snack too.  Food/drink at conventions are usually very high.

3. Keep your money/credit cards in a safe spot.  It is easy to get pick-pocketed in a crowd, esp. if you are distracted.

4. Hand sanitizer might also be a good idea, esp. at a crowded convention.  You don't want to get "con crud" from the other attendees!

5. Go to the dealer's room first if you are interested in buying.  The good stuff tends to get picked over quickly.  Also, make a quick run and see what's there before shelling out cash.  You don't want to spend all your money before you see something totally awesome that you can no longer afford!

6. If you have access to a schedule, plan out what you want to do ahead of time.  You might have to wait in line for popular panels/events.

Post Merge: October 21, 2012, 02:03:41 PM

Oh yeah, and BRING LOTS OF CASH!  Seriously, bring more than you think you need.  Not only will the hotel ATM probably be out of money, the chances are they will not have your bank's ATM and you will have to pay fines to access your own money.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:03:41 PM by svleonard »

Bread

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!
Although, I think I now have more questions

2. Bring pain relievers and headache medicine--better to have them and not need them than the other way around.

I'm not sure I understand why I would need those... could you explain?

4. You don't want to get "con crud" from the other attendees!

What's "con crud"?

big cons do commonly charge for autographs, but smaller ones may not

What would count as a big con? The con I'm going to is Equestria LA, but i don't know if it's big or not (however I do know that at least 9 special guests are attending).

I would definitely find a schedule as soon as you can, whether it be through a website or at the con itself. If it's a big convention, then some sort of schedule of events should be on the site.

I just checked the con's site, and it looks like they just put a schedule up!
Now I just need to get a map of the con floor... hopefully they'll put that up soon, too.

some of the booths times may have interesting freebies to pick up

Freebies? Hooray!  :lol:

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Hey there bread,

I tend to get headaches and/or leg cramps at conventions.  When you're walking around all day super busy doing lots of stuff, it can take it out of you.  I always make sure I have Tylenol or excedrin or something just in case I get a headache.  I've gone to Dragon Con in Atlanta, GA for the past three years, and sharing a small part of downtown Atlanta with 40,000+ other con goers can be exhausting.

Which brings me to your next question: "con crud" is a cold that people typically get at conventions.  When you share air and space with hundreds or thousands of other people, you tend to pick up their germs!  This isn't really a problem unless you are going to a large convention.

Post Merge: October 21, 2012, 06:28:12 PM

Ok, so if there are only around nine special guests, then I'd say that's a small convention.  Large conventions can have dozens or even hundreds of guests.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:28:12 PM by svleonard »

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »
Whatever you do, do NOT bite the other attendees.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »
I've never been to a pony-con, but from what I've seen in the brags forum I would take lots of money with me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal