collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Childhood Wants  (Read 5583 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood Wants
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 05:49:52 AM »
Oooh, I had several childhood wants!

Play and Care Baby Ribbon- one of my first buys as an adult :P

Gypsy- still looking for her, but oh my I wanted her!

Wigwam- I remember choosing between him and Barnacle in the store. I choose Barnacle, but I still really wanted Wigwam.

Apple Delight- I wanted the whole family, loved them! I don’t have them, still.

Rosedust- I really wanted her as a kid, and got her as a graduation present from my sis :biggrin:

Glory- I had baby Glory as a kid, but she was always missing her mama. I got her for my birthday when I was 25 or so. From my sister ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Perikoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
I have no memories of seeing ads or catalogs with MLP as a kid, apart from the ponies shown in the backcards (and wanted all them, of course) and I rarely went to toy stores so any pony was utterly ok for me but I remember I wanted the Kitchen playset for Christmas and I was very disappointed when I got it because Cherry Sweet that was shown on the cover was not included! The box said "pony not included" but I didn't notice it  :bawl:

Since then I wanted that pony but never got her. So Cherry Sweet was one of my first purchases as adult collector and is still one of my favorite ponies :')

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
It's funny since the Kitchen often did have random ponies chucked in there, or sold with the set through different store offers. But I'm not sure they ever put Cookery ponies in there...

I had the Kitchen for Christmas with a teeny weeny pony inside the box. I hope she wasn't planning to cook...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Perikoala

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »
It's funny since the Kitchen often did have random ponies chucked in there, or sold with the set through different store offers. But I'm not sure they ever put Cookery ponies in there...

I had the Kitchen for Christmas with a teeny weeny pony inside the box. I hope she wasn't planning to cook...

Oh! So the Kitchen included a pony in UK? That's interesting. I noticed Grooming Parlour included Kiss Curl but she was never sold in Spain with the set, I don't know why... Only a bunch of playsets were available here and the Pretty Parlour and the Show Stable were the only ones that came with a pony.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »
I want a wing'd Dream Beauty... I never had the chance to have one. The closest that I had were She-Ra's horse, but that's about it. Spirit looks angry so he really wasn't a good replacement.

As a guy, I had my ponies taken away from me as a child because they were girl's toys.  I remember visiting to toy aisle and pining away after ponies such as so soft Fifi and Hippity.

That makes my heart break. I was lucky to have parents that had very little labeling when it came to what toys were for what gender. I hated babydolls, ADORED Knight Rider, and they showered us in ponies and Littlest Pet Shop.

Then again, I am the second oldest of 6, and anything that helped us play with each other without yelling, bruising or drawing blood was always welcome in our house. Ponies and dinosaurs were the smart companions of Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »
I have a vague memory of looking at the backcards of my ponies and wishing for other ponies in the same set. I usually only got one pony in a set although I did have a few BBE ponies because I had the Pony Purse, BBE Gusty, and Baby Bonnet School of Dance.

I used to look through the mail order pamplets and wish I could get those ponies but for some reason I never ordered anything from the pamplets.  The ones I wanting most from the pamplets were Baby Sugarberry/Strawberry Fair and pearlized Baby Cotton Candy. I had Cotton Candy and Sugarberry/Strawberry Fair and really wanted a mom and baby pair. I also wanted the Sweet Delight Ice Cottage. I never realized they never made it.

I wanted a Petite Pony store when I was a child. I had 2 sets of Petite Ponies and a house but no store. My friend had a few sets of Petite Ponies, a house and the supermarket.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »
As a guy, I had my ponies taken away from me as a child because they were girl's toys.  I remember visiting to toy aisle and pining away after ponies such as so soft Fifi and Hippity.

That's awful.  :(  Sort of how I got my childhood Glory - was my cousin's, and by the time he was five or six deemed 'too old' for the likes of MLP and Care Bears.  I didn't really have specific pony wants as a child - I wanted and was happy to get any pony!  I liked baby and newborn twins the best.  I do remember wanting Gusty whom my neighbour had because I had Baby Gusty who matched. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 10:50:41 PM »
I don't really remember anyone specifically except for the Twinkle Eyes 2nd set. I didn't have any TE as a kid. My memory was jogged because I kept 1 G1 pamphlet all this time and after not seeing it in 15 years while my collection was in storage I completely forgot until I saw it again. I always loved the TE's in this photo and especially loved Mimic because of her pose, it was just like Milky way, one of my favorite childhood ponies. Kinda funny, I never knew I wanted Mimic since she's not a big deal to me now. I never realized it was her until I found this pamphlet again in my collection. Anyway, I had a lot of ponies from this pamphlet but I imagine others were on my want list as well since I spent lots of time looking at it over the years.

photo isn't mine, mine is in French. 

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 12:15:40 AM »

Oh! So the Kitchen included a pony in UK? That's interesting. I noticed Grooming Parlour included Kiss Curl but she was never sold in Spain with the set, I don't know why... Only a bunch of playsets were available here and the Pretty Parlour and the Show Stable were the only ones that came with a pony.

Noo...not officially. But stores like Woolworths did combination offers for some random reason. And then at the end of the line, when we had a bunch of Kitchens imported in foreign language boxes (French in particular I think), there would often be random end of line ponies shoved inside...such as ponies from the Slumber Party set, and others. The Kitchen never formally came with any ponies. But there have been a lot of cases of people here finding or getting it with something shoved randomly inside...

Put it down to Hasbro UK being, well, Hasbro UK :)

There is a version of the Kiss Curl parlour made in Spain, ironically.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 12:49:02 AM »
Oooo! Fun thread!

My childhood wants have now become some of my wishlist ponies  :)

Who I wanted (so very badly) and now have:
Medley
Firefly
Hopscotch
Cotton Candy (no, I in fact never owned her as a child: true)

Who I am still busy acquiring:
Big brothers, have: WigWam, Salty, Chief (but don't need the whole set)
Wingers, have: Glow, Buzzer, Lady Flutter (need both sets to be completed)
Flutters, easier to say who I still need: Wing Song, Wind Drifter, Pink Dreams, Hollywood
And Twinkle Eyes. I have a lot of them and was at first going to complete all sets, but now we shall see.
And: Confetti. She is very hard to find as I am fussy.

Plus, I have been restoring my lost childhood herd. They mysteriously disappeared except for Surf Dancer, Bowtie and Powder.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 06:43:04 AM »
For me that was the mail order baby ponies, I never got them. I still have yet to get any of them. I know it is the taf set too.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 02:08:43 PM »
Pretty much most of the ponies I wanted as a kid I didn't get as a kid, either because they were promoted but not sold here, or the distribution in my area meant the one from the set I wanted wasn't available.

In terms of not sold here, Medley and Glory in particular. I wanted a lot of the other unicorns and pegasus ponies too, and the 2nd set of Rainbows, but Medley and Glory were childhood loves that my mother hunted for in vain for years :( Darn you, Hasbro.

In terms of ponies I wanted which were not made - Ribbon, Lofty, and especially Paradise. By which of course I don't mean SS versions, as I never knew about SS as a kid. I am still gutted that Paradise didn't happen.
Songster - but as a pegasus. I did have her. But she didn't have wings :(

In terms of ponies I wanted which were sold here, but I never found or got...

Princess Pearl & Fiery (friend Briony had them :() I had Sapphire and later, a battered Aquamarine 2nd hand.
Nibbles and Dibbles (pretty sure Briony had them, too).
Lightning (favourite Mountain Boy). I had 3 from this set, but not him. I have never seen him MOC and probably never will.
Love Melody - not sure why I wanted her so much, as Strawberry Fair is so much nicer.
Curly Locks. I actually wanted her and Braided Beauty and I did find Braids, but never did see Curly Locks.
Twinkler. I had Sky Rocket, but always wanted Twinkler.
Whizzer - because she was the fastest little pony of them all!
Magic Star - most magical pony in ponyland? Nuff said. The brother of one of my friends had her, though, and I was not happy that she was in that pose...
Glittering Gem. Though now I like Stargleamer more.
Wing Song. But I ended up picking out Tropical Breeze and now like her more, too.

I have all the ponies I wanted as a kid now, because of carboot sales and trading, mostly. A lot of the ponies I wanted as a kid were not really rare or expensive or htf in the bigger sense. Most of the ones sold here in the UK I found very easily even in my area, so I don't know why I never saw them as a kid. The US ones happen to be really common over there, so easy to obtain.

The very first trade I did with someone in the US amounted to essentially 100 ponies each way, when she brought a caseload over for me. I was able to fill in all of those childhood dream gaps (the y2 and 3 unicorns and pegasus ponies and y3 rainbow ponies) in one fell swoop. That was the first time I ever saw Medley in person, or even in anything other than a drawing. Yes, that was a special day indeed :D

I also managed to get a good shipment of ponies from the USA all at once, I remember the first time I saw Medley in person too, I cried! I think Twilight and Glory made me cry too :-)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »

I also managed to get a good shipment of ponies from the USA all at once, I remember the first time I saw Medley in person too, I cried! I think Twilight and Glory made me cry too :-)

Bring on the retros O.O
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline chateaushelton

• Captain Jack Pony
  • When your 8yo discovered the magnetic hooves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
The only thing I remember * really* wanting as a child but not having was Majesty and the Dream Castle. I was going through a serious unicorn phase and I had most of the other released at that time except Twilight and Majesty.

The castle was too expensive so I never got one of my own. My neighbor had it though, so I did get to play with it but it wasn't the same.... 

I have Majesty now, but not the castle - it's still a little out of my budget. I keep hoping I'll get lucky and find one locally (almost had one a few years back but someone else beat me to it).

Fingers crossed  :)

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 06:46:16 PM »
My childhood wants were all ponies, but I will list the ones I remember especially wanting.
Owned:
Starshine & many other rainbows
Tic Tac Toe
Baby Tic Tac Toe
Baby North Star
Galaxy
Love Melody
mail order Sparkle ponies
Satin n Lace
Cherry Treats
Confetti
Chief