collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 44389 times)

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVE REVEALED!!! Page 26
« Reply #780 on: June 26, 2014, 04:01:39 AM »
I'm so glad our exclusive and the sdcc are the same, because I'm spending out the butt on eBay for MH, EAH, funko, and that EQ doll and I'm just glad I don't have to do it for Mane-iac too.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 26, 2014, 04:24:01 AM »
PHEW, what a relief, I'm so glad it's something I absolutely do not want!
No offense to those that are excited for the exclusive, but yeesh that ain't my cup of tea.

Now if only Hasbro would hurry up and start releasing the next waves of Fashion Style Ponies, they fill my want list! :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 26, 2014, 04:33:36 AM »
Yea, that's the big positive for me too. No worrying about getting in line to snag it, and $50 more to spend on G3s  :P

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 26, 2014, 06:50:09 AM »
People who are going to be at the Fair: There are going to be Hasbro representatives at the Fair, yes? Then it seems to me that it would be appropriate to approach Hasbro representatives at the Fair and tell them how unhappy you are with the Exclusive this year.

I too have a sour feeling in my stomach when I was reading this thread. There's a lot of heated opinions here, and a lot of eggshells to walk on. Yes, I totally understand that the Fair is a HUGE amount of work for people, who are doing it all out of love for ponies and for their fellow collectors. But saying to other collectors "Hey we put a lot of work into this and if you don't buy Hasbro's stuff it might be taken away"... that doesn't seem fair to me. People should be allowed to express their opinions to a toy company that is not representing them. (Doesn't mean the company will listen, but we are allowed to tell them how we feel!)

I say if people are upset about the exclusive DON'T buy it, DO tell others you are boycotting it because it doesn't represent you as collectors attending the Fair, and DO complain to the Hasbro reps at the Fair. Be polite about it, of course. Not ranting, but let them know you didn't like what was offered and what you would have loved to see in its place. (Whether it be more popular G4 characters like Lyra, or G1 characters in G4 form, or Art Ponies, or brushable hair.)

Nothing is going to happen if we don't speak up repeatedly! One person talking to the Hasbro reps isn't going to do anything, but if many people approach the reps throughout the length of the Fair, it will at least make a small impact on their observations.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:52:33 AM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #784 on: June 26, 2014, 06:51:01 AM »
thanks SweetTune for sharing that info! Are you allowed to bring the old Fair ponies to sell? It sounds like there would be some interest :) I didn't realize you had SO MANY left unsold! :(

I would like to point out that Hasbro does have logic in this choice beyond what we see as "which fans to cater to" ....SDCC is a BIG venue and (supposedly still) comic related. Maneiac is a comic book character and Hasbro's planning future print comic book tie ins with her later this year. Plus, people like villains. So, it makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. And like SweetTune said, they are being generous to us by letting us have this exclusive instead of only releasing a SDCC pony period.

I'm not saying people have to like the pony, just pointing out that Hasbro is a business and as such used business logic.....(especially if they know that the past several art/Fair ponies are sitting unsold in someone's basement)
and I agree that if you don't like it you should let them know. Sending Hasbro a letter in the mail will have more impact than and email fyi
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:56:20 AM by Roogna »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Star Spark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #785 on: June 26, 2014, 07:11:24 AM »
One thing to consider (and perhaps to politely bring up to the Hasbro reps) is that there are things that will appeal to both older and newer collectors. "Rescue at Midnight Castle" is actually pretty well regarded by a lot of bronies (going from comments on some of the main brony sites) and in any case many of its characters have ties to FiM- Moondancer has been named in the cartoon and appeared in the comic, Twilight (Velvet) has appeared as Twilight Sparkle's mother, Firefly has been named as an historical figure (and while she hasn't appeared, people recognize her connection as a sort of "proto" Rainbow Dash), a Medley-like Pegasus frequently appears as a background character, etc. Why not do G4 versions of these characters? There's no way to make everyone happy, but rather than try to focus on only one or the other side of the fandom (with the resulting in-fighting and lowered sales), why not try to find that common ground?

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 26, 2014, 07:17:24 AM »
I at least hope the tentacles on the pony have wire in them and can be bent and moved, which is why they are skinny. Knowing Hasbro though that probably won't be the case. That's a big price to ask for such small figures too.

Heck even the EqG doll looks somewhat interesting, even if you know that skirt will likely be made up of unhemmed strips of cloth and either super-gel or tied-to-the-cardboard-to-stay-up hair... and this is someone who has no interest in that line at all

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #787 on: June 26, 2014, 07:25:55 AM »
thanks SweetTune for sharing that info! Are you allowed to bring the old Fair ponies to sell? It sounds like there would be some interest :) I didn't realize you had SO MANY left unsold! :(

I would like to point out that Hasbro does have logic in this choice beyond what we see as "which fans to cater to" ....SDCC is a BIG venue and (supposedly still) comic related. Maneiac is a comic book character and Hasbro's planning future print comic book tie ins with her later this year. Plus, people like villains. So, it makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. And like SweetTune said, they are being generous to us by letting us have this exclusive instead of only releasing a SDCC pony period.

I'm not saying people have to like the pony, just pointing out that Hasbro is a business and as such used business logic.....(especially if they know that the past several art/Fair ponies are sitting unsold in someone's basement)
and I agree that if you don't like it you should let them know. Sending Hasbro a letter in the mail will have more impact than and email fyi

Oh dear for all the unsold fair ponies. To be honest, I wasn't too excited with the G3 art ponies either. They looked overly decorated. I just want a SIMPLE pony that is pretty and pleasing to look at. She can also come in a baggie, no need for the crazy boxy packaging that fluffs content seemingly by 360%.

And I think it's such a lie from Hasbro to say that they made the Fair Ponies at only 500/1000 pieces because Phillippines got the Peacock ponies in their stores and the next following year we got the Egyptian Pony in Singapore. We also had the half-hero half-villain pony SDCC pony. I'm sure we're not the only country to get those so it should be pretty easy for Hasbro to loosen up the lot by dispatching a small number to each country out of the USA.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 26, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
Hi everyone!

I received a PM asking about my reaction to the idea of collector's making their own "exclusive" for the Fair. I'm copying my response here as well to clarify the position that the Fair must take as well as the potential negative attention that a project like this may create for the customizing community.

"Unfortunately,  the Fair can neither publicly promote this idea or approve it. The Fair name is owned by Hasbro and all products sold, distributed or promoted by the Fair must be approved  by Hasbro ' s legal team. Not only must the products themselves be approved, but the manufacturing processes by which these products are made must adhere to strict guidelines.

With that said, you may produce custom ponies for sale at a sellers booth but they cannot be promoted in any way that uses the Fair name or allude to them being produced exclusively for the event. Hasbro will be at the event, although in the past they have turned a blind eye to custom ponies, this type of mass production may flag creators for copyright infringement and legal action.

The MLP Fair has always been  independently-run convention that has gone on for over a decade without Hasbro doing any of the event planning.  They provide access to manufactured product for the convention - that's it.  If this is the way that Hasbro feels it needs to threaten collectors at a convention, I think the relationship should  be ended.  Being MLP collectors and fans seems to only please them if we pander to their demands and fill their coffers.  I don't feel that Hasbro should be involved with the event at all if they are going to wander about with narrowed eyes, looking for loopholes to attack artists with lawyers!  :( 

I am appalled by their attitude and I feel very sorry for you SweetTune, having to be the spokesperson who looks like she actually agrees with this abhorrent behavior.   But please, cut Hasbro out of the next convention.  As you can see, many people are willing to come together to create custom Exclusive ponies already!  We didn't need them to have the MLP Fair for many years in the beginning, why should some licensed G1 art on products suddenly change our mind?  I have always thought that having Hasbro at our convention would turn out to be a very bad idea... and here they are, announcing that their intellectual property lawyers will be roaming, inspecting customs tables !  UGH!  I have no words!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Vulpy

« Reply #789 on: June 26, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
If they were gonna go with Power Ponies, they should've released the whole Mane 6 in their customs AND Spike and Mane-iac. That's worth 50$ to me, maybe more. But only 1 pony + a little dragon with a cape? Pffft!

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #790 on: June 26, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
People who are going to be at the Fair: There are going to be Hasbro representatives at the Fair, yes? Then it seems to me that it would be appropriate to approach Hasbro representatives at the Fair and tell them how unhappy you are with the Exclusive this year.

I too have a sour feeling in my stomach when I was reading this thread. There's a lot of heated opinions here, and a lot of eggshells to walk on. Yes, I totally understand that the Fair is a HUGE amount of work for people, who are doing it all out of love for ponies and for their fellow collectors. But saying to other collectors "Hey we put a lot of work into this and if you don't buy Hasbro's stuff it might be taken away"... that doesn't seem fair to me. People should be allowed to express their opinions to a toy company that is not representing them. (Doesn't mean the company will listen, but we are allowed to tell them how we feel!)

I say if people are upset about the exclusive DON'T buy it, DO tell others you are boycotting it because it doesn't represent you as collectors attending the Fair, and DO complain to the Hasbro reps at the Fair. Be polite about it, of course. Not ranting, but let them know you didn't like what was offered and what you would have loved to see in its place. (Whether it be more popular G4 characters like Lyra, or G1 characters in G4 form, or Art Ponies, or brushable hair.)

Nothing is going to happen if we don't speak up repeatedly! One person talking to the Hasbro reps isn't going to do anything, but if many people approach the reps throughout the length of the Fair, it will at least make a small impact on their observations.

Amen sister

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 26, 2014, 08:39:07 AM »
I don't think SweetTune is suggesting that Hasbro is sending out lawyers roaming about the Fair and seeking out lawsuits.  Just that the Fair itself cannot promote anything with the Fair title that has not been sanctioned by Hasbro because the name is owned by Hasbro.  I think her response was very well written and makes perfect legal sense.  She (representing the Fair) cannot approve, promote, or publically sanction this sort of sale.  I think we should just leave this be.  It is not a big deal.   

I think we should be very grateful the Fair gets its own allotments of exclusive ponies.  Even though most of us hate them this year, we might like next years.  And if we didn't get them, we would have to depend on SDCC, Hasbros website, or secondary sales if we wanted one.  It is a risk you take when you buy a pre-sale package including the pony.  You might not like that year, or you may love it and be thrilled you don't have to buy it marked up like with Muffin. 

I think it is fine to complain about how much you dislike the exclusive.  I really think it is ugly.  But I'd rather complain about the product than complain about the Fair and Hasbro's relationship with the Fair.

Offline TattooedMLP_Rat

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
I think that this is a fitting character to have as the SDCC Exclusive.  I like it, I liked the episode.  I do hate how we do not get our own exclusive anymore, that's bs!  It use to be exciting to get our own exclusive, it was a nice feeling of appreciation that WE were all PONY collectors.  Then the show came out, which I love, but BRONIES became a fad, and we got pushed aside as collectors from our childhoods.  Don't ever forget where you came from HASBRO! (You were part of OUR childhoods, not these "fans" they wouldn't even touch a 25 year old pony if their lives depended on it.
  So, that being said, I think it's a perfect exclusive for Comic Con, it's from a comic book, why didn't we expect it?  Some people look to much into the exclusive.  I think they should continue exclusives as comic book heroes (Daring Do?????), that's what Comic Con is, I usually go to all the Comic Con type conventions in Chicago and it's fun. 

I also want to say I think it's funny people are complaining that it doesn't have brushable hair……Funko vinyl ponies don't either, and people LOVE those.  Just something to think about.  I just can't wait to see this exclusives packaging and in person. 

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #793 on: June 26, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »
Tbh I really like the doll, she's awesome (except ya know, it's my little PONY, ah well we all saw EQG coming to kick the actual horse toys off the spotlight)

It would be really cool if we could get BOTH for $50 and not each, they are too expensive

Gosh, the pony.... She looks so.... cheap....

I don't mind Hasbro choosing this character that much and I understand the superhero thing,  but if they had to release a villain couldn't they get a figure of one that's actually really popular like erm... Discord? Don't get me wrong, the Maneiac is a really cool character it' just that the choice is kind of confusing (based on popularity and all that stuff)

It would've been so much better to release her WITH Spike AND the Mane 6 all regular size (I'd DEFINATELY pay $50 for that!) but if she was a bit better... the hair thing... just no... unless it's moldeable or something it's not very appealing

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

flyawayraven

« Reply #794 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »
I don't think SweetTune is suggesting that Hasbro is sending out lawyers roaming about the Fair and seeking out lawsuits.  Just that the Fair itself cannot promote anything with the Fair title that has not been sanctioned by Hasbro because the name is owned by Hasbro.  I think her response was very well written and makes perfect legal sense.  She (representing the Fair) cannot approve, promote, or publically sanction this sort of sale.  I think we should just leave this be.  It is not a big deal.   

I think we should be very grateful the Fair gets its own allotments of exclusive ponies.  Even though most of us hate them this year, we might like next years.  And if we didn't get them, we would have to depend on SDCC, Hasbros website, or secondary sales if we wanted one.  It is a risk you take when you buy a pre-sale package including the pony.  You might not like that year, or you may love it and be thrilled you don't have to buy it marked up like with Muffin. 

I think it is fine to complain about how much you dislike the exclusive.  I really think it is ugly.  But I'd rather complain about the product than complain about the Fair and Hasbro's relationship with the Fair.

Agreed.

Please don't boycott the Fair pony. That is only going to further drive a wedge between Hasbro and the collector market. They don't have to give the Fair an exclusive, especially when it's been proven many of those exclusives don't even sell many years later! If Hasbro sees the majority don't even buy the Fair pony this year, well, next year they may finally decide to not give us a pony at all since clearly no one wanted it. I suspect that's how Hasbro would view it because as SweetTune said, we just aren't a major source of revenue for them. The boycott will just further prove to Hasbro that it's a waste of money and time for them to cater to a small demographic.

I know it sucks to hear that basically we should suck it up and be grateful for the measly scraps Hasbro gives us; I'm no happier about it than anyone else. SweetTune and the other Fair organizers are clearly busting their butts every year to make the Fair a success, and I would not want to see something ultimately as trivial as an exclusive bring all that to an end. I am deeply grateful for the hard work all the Fair volunteers put in each year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal