collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you name your kid after a pony?  (Read 12982 times)

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Would you name your kid after a pony?
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2014, 02:51:56 AM »
I'm gonna say it- I'm not crazy about Rarity as a pony name.

I thought I was the only one!

No way! I don't like a lot of "modern" or "unique" names.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2014, 04:16:23 AM »
I would, if I had any interest in having children.  I think it would be cool to name a boy Ace and a girl Clover.

I thought Ace would be a cool boys name! The boyfriend doesn't like it though  >_<
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2014, 05:43:58 AM »
I personally think Rarity could work as a middle name, but with FiM still running and fresh in peoples minds it is something to be careful with I'd say. Ideally no child or parent would be teased over a name but that's not the case.

I think the biggest problem here though, is that your girlfriend doesn't agree with the name. If she honestly hates it, I doubt she's going to change her mind anytime soon and the name of your child really is something you should both be agreeing on. It means you're going to have to let go of a name you like, but I'm certain she has to do the same with some of her preferred choices.

Here in the Netherlands we put - je behind a name when something is small or cute. A lot of female names are male names with - je behind it. I know a lot of women hate that. At a certain age you don't feel small and cute anymore ;) And if they take the -je away it often leaves them a really manly name. (like Stef, but I don't care). They also get weird reactions when they have that 'manly' name.
They would be happy if they would have second names they could use.
SO.. please give them more names :)

It's funny, I have the exact opposite. My name has -ke behind it. Another, if less used, way of making it sound "smaller".
Without the -ke it would be a normal dutch girls name.
I've gone through a period of 2 years or so where everyone from close family members to complete strangers kept asking me when I'd drop the -ke. It drove me batty. I HATE my name without the -ke, with a passion. It is, for as far as I'm concerned, NOT. ME.
Heck, my name as is doesn't even sound cutesy to me.
Oddly, after a year or two I was apparently past the age where I got to have issues with my name, since people just stopped bringing it up from one day to the next and my name was once again accepted without question. It was weird. :/

Mind you, I absolutely get why people would want to drop the -je or -ke.
I just found it curious that I've experienced the exact opposite, and in either case people will be weird about it.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
If your girlfriend hates it, don't push the issue.  Don't use Rarity.

Offline Hunter-Rose

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2014, 12:00:36 PM »
While I agree Rarity is a pretty name, I would never dare name my child after something so popular, even people who hate MLP would probably work out where it is from, especially if they know you like it.
I would love to call my daughter Adria, mostly because its a pretty name but also because its a character from Stargate SG-1, one of my favourite TV shows, however I would be hesitant because she was a somewhat insane alien cult leader, in turn named after her mothers cruel step-mother. However I have taken that into factors and its an obscure enough reference that I would be able to get away with it.
That entire night where I thought naming my son Tiberius would be a splended idea on the other hand...  :lol:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »
I would never name my child after any sort of character on purpose. Real people (not celebrities) is as much as I'm willing to accept. Even a normal name like "Tiffany" I'd never give to my child because of a toy horse. A nickname based on a pony for some actual reason (they like that specific pony, they enjoy doing the same as the pony's symbol, etc) I'm totally fine with, but a real name? Never.

I wasn't named after a character, but growing up with the name Carissa I had to deal with a lot of "Clarissa Explains It All" jokes and I hated it. I'd never purposely put my kid through something similar.

PrincessGlitterBloom

« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »
I feel like it's something to regret later on. Like when you join a website and name yourself like yugiohfan1994 or something and year later though you're still a fan, it dates you badly. And you kind of wish you'd chosen something more flexible.

Character names are for pets not children, name your dogs Katniss and Twilight, not your daughters.

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »
A pony name? no. However; Megan, Molly, and Danny are total possibilities ;)
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
As a person with a unique name, people are always asking which reference I'm named after - I wasn't, it just came to my dad - Mum said no, but had complications, and when she came to, the paperwork was done, and I was named! Because my parents separated pretty early on, I used my first middle name with most people until I started school, when my first name went on the paperwork. That was confusing for some of my friends, going from calling me one thing to another. My sister, one 'aunt' (an old neightbour in truth), and my oldest friend (my 'aunts' grandaughter) still call me by my middle name, and my hubby hates it. He's constantly correcting them.. which gets a bit awkward, but he's passionate about names, and won't accept any shortening of his own, either. That said, he wants to name our first daughter 'Sunday', which is even worse than my name!

But if you don't both agree on the name, don't use it! Mum never forgave dad for that little whoopsie that he did with my name!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
nope!
there are so many beautiful names to choose ,i would def choose something from Greek Mythology  :)

My boyfriend has already told me he wants to name one of his kids Antiochus or Seleucus  (he is a classicist). I have told him he can name a cat it. Not necessarily mythology but anicent Greek xD

I wanted to name my children Stella and Astrophel when I was young. And just today at work, there was a little boy named Archimedes!
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Nence

• Tarot Orchid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ~.Which tarot-card did you picked up today? .~
    • View Profile
    • mymlplife.blogg.se
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2014, 02:48:57 AM »
I dont have children but I like the name Lyra, I think it would suits as a name :)
But I have other names in the list if I ever is going to get children.

Thank you kissthethunder and audra-hime for my beautiful ponies <3
..:Click on the globe to visit my MLP-blog:..
Libella~Wistful Autumn~Golden Love~Twist~Clover~

Rainfeather

« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2014, 04:27:18 AM »
Be sure to spell it as D'Rehwritty. Otherwise it is not hip.

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2014, 04:50:34 AM »
I definitely wouldn't do it. Choose a name that is easy to spell and understand.

My cousin, who is five years old, is named Dagne (pronounced "dahg knee"). To be fair, it's a Norwegian name and that side of my family has some Norwegian heritage, but already she gets frustrated because people always question her and correct her on her name, assuming she doesn't know how to say it right because she's little. :(

Then again, my name is Ashton and people were always correcting me to "Ashlyn" or "Ashley" when I was younger because "Ashton is a boy's name". :T
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »
My cousin, who is five years old, is named Dagne (pronounced "dahg knee"). To be fair, it's a Norwegian name and that side of my family has some Norwegian heritage, but already she gets frustrated because people always question her and correct her on her name, assuming she doesn't know how to say it right because she's little. :(

I can think of only one other way you should say Dagne.  Dahg nah.  But what are people telling her it sounds like?  My sister was almost named this.  She would have prefered it to her own common and boring name which can be spelled multiple ways. 

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
If your girlfriend hates it, don't push the issue.  Don't use Rarity.

This.  Regardless of how one feels about character names* why would you want to give your child a name that the other parent hates?  Your child's name shouldn't turn into some power struggle, and surely there are plenty of names that the two of you can agree on, no?

*Personally I'm on the fence about them.  Standard names that happen to be shared with a character seem fine to me, but when you're on the edges of that, I think it gets complicated.

Blog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal