collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show me your real Takara Ponies  (Read 8532 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your real Takara Ponies
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
So where can you get custom ones!? Someday I would love to have a Milky. She's my favorite color combo and so cute!
I would also love to have Milky!

Me too!  I would love Milky someday

Anyway, you can find the replicas on etsy, but you have to type in Osharena.  Just to let you know, the limbs do not articulate very well; more likely to twist right off.  I have to position her just so or she will not stand.  And she can not sit because she has a rounded bottom.
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2016, 08:56:45 AM »
So where can you get custom ones!? Someday I would love to have a Milky. She's my favorite color combo and so cute!
I would also love to have Milky!

Me too!  I would love Milky someday

Anyway, you can find the replicas on etsy, but you have to type in Osharena.  Just to let you know, the limbs do not articulate very well; more likely to twist right off.  I have to position her just so or she will not stand.  And she can not sit because she has a rounded bottom.

Awe, I wouldn't mind one to make of Milky but alas I don't know how to rehair/customize ponies  :sad:

I could've sworn that bubbles171 posted pix of her Takaras. Maybe it was on FB...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:59:55 AM by nessa16 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
I have a question, would any of you who have a Takara Pony be willing to have some 3-D scans done of it and upload the file?

It seems I'm not the only one who would like to have a replica version and the blank ones look much smaller than the original ones (and really expensive for anyone living in Canada, it's an extra $20 before shipping because of the exchange rate) and with some of the new materials they're offering 3D printing one seems like a good option

So its not actually that simple :) I have a 3d printer, and Takara ponies, and have been building one in CAD for awhile but haven't finished it.

For 3D scanning, its expensive to have it done professionally, to have the right tolerances for movable joints. And if it was scanned, it would not be hollow, and would not have poseable joints. All the hair would need to be taken out to get an accurate model. There are also some limitations in the materials it could be printed in. If I printed it professionally it could be almost $200 just my cost, so its pricey lol. And if I print it at home its in ABS plastic.

But I am working on trying to print some customizable real size takaras, its just time consuming haha

Offline ladygodiva

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
I have a question, would any of you who have a Takara Pony be willing to have some 3-D scans done of it and upload the file?

It seems I'm not the only one who would like to have a replica version and the blank ones look much smaller than the original ones (and really expensive for anyone living in Canada, it's an extra $20 before shipping because of the exchange rate) and with some of the new materials they're offering 3D printing one seems like a good option
That would be great! ^^
I am aware that all these things take a lot of work behind. In my father's work if they had a 3D printer. But required special permits to use it, and obviously, would come out a rigid figure.
So its not actually that simple :) I have a 3d printer, and Takara ponies, and have been building one in CAD for awhile but haven't finished it.

For 3D scanning, its expensive to have it done professionally, to have the right tolerances for movable joints. And if it was scanned, it would not be hollow, and would not have poseable joints. All the hair would need to be taken out to get an accurate model. There are also some limitations in the materials it could be printed in. If I printed it professionally it could be almost $200 just my cost, so its pricey lol. And if I print it at home its in ABS plastic.

But I am working on trying to print some customizable real size takaras, its just time consuming haha

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2016, 11:50:33 AM »
I suspected that the blank one was a little bit larger than the babies (I actually have one of the fakie babies, the one with Milky's colouring)

But that's disappointing though, I've done a bit of research on 3D printing and I know there are softer materials available now than a few years ago (there's a place near my grandparents' condo that prints in a rubber-like material). But I didn't think that scanning would be that expensive since it wouldn't need any materials and that you could digitally remove the hair and adjust it into separate & hollow pieces, at the worst I thought you'd have to separate the pieces manually and put them back together (the plastic doesn't look particularly rigid, perhaps a tiny bit more than a G1 Pony)

Though I am curious how far you are into modeling them and what sort of texture the real ones have; I've been trying to re-create the pattern for those plush ones from the print ad, but I haven't had very much time because of my schoolwork.

Oh, and Nessa, it isn't that difficult to re-hair ponies, there are quite a few tutorials on doing it; since you'd start from no hair at all you'll need to use push-pins to make holes for the hair and you may want to pencil in a few lines to guide you for that. Painting the coat is actually much harder since most of the paints I've seen look really obtrusive as the coat

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »

Oh, and Nessa, it isn't that difficult to re-hair ponies, there are quite a few tutorials on doing it; since you'd start from no hair at all you'll need to use push-pins to make holes for the hair and you may want to pencil in a few lines to guide you for that. Painting the coat is actually much harder since most of the paints I've seen look really obtrusive as the coat

The material used is powder-like with an adhesive mixed in to shape/hold together.  When I drilled the holes for the hair plugs, there was a lot of chalk like powder that I chose to shake out.  To add hair, and customizing is not my thing yet, I took small clumps of DH hair and used a spray adhesive on the end (beside to protect the rest of hair from overspray).  I would then just force the plugs into the holes I made for the tail I am quite the MacGyver  :lol:(character from old 80s television show).  My tail is pretty sparse, should have made a 2nd roll of holes. Not quite ready to conquer the mane.

As for the body, apparently I suck at dyeing.  Ended up buying chalk spray paint with a 40% off coupon ;).  Because of the texture of the pony, I don't think there will be a problem with chipping/peeling as with original MLPs.  My biggest obstacle has been the eyes.  Can't paint a  round spot to save my life.  Ended up using acetone and then repainting my pony's head again.  At least it is forgivable. 
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
I suspected that the blank one was a little bit larger than the babies (I actually have one of the fakie babies, the one with Milky's colouring)

But that's disappointing though, I've done a bit of research on 3D printing and I know there are softer materials available now than a few years ago (there's a place near my grandparents' condo that prints in a rubber-like material). But I didn't think that scanning would be that expensive since it wouldn't need any materials and that you could digitally remove the hair and adjust it into separate & hollow pieces, at the worst I thought you'd have to separate the pieces manually and put them back together (the plastic doesn't look particularly rigid, perhaps a tiny bit more than a G1 Pony)

Though I am curious how far you are into modeling them and what sort of texture the real ones have; I've been trying to re-create the pattern for those plush ones from the print ad, but I haven't had very much time because of my schoolwork.

So there is quite a few new materials available :) I've printed a few things in them, but it doesn't feel as smooth as the actual pony, you can tell they were made in a plastic injection mold. So for scanning, unless you have a 3d scanner you have to go to a company and have it done. When I inquired they actually told me they couldn't get super accurate tolerances for the body (worried it might not fit together)
Also the scanners I've used convert the scan into an STL format, which is basically thousands of tiny triangles. Its more difficult to edit in the software I use, Rhino.
The plastic at my at home printer is pretty brittle. You wouldn't be able to force the limbs into the joints or it may crack. This is the biggest challenge haha.

For my model its basically almost done, but I haven't worked out the leg and arm joints :) She has a smooth body in the CAD because I'm working on a 3dm software, so unlike a program like Zbrush, all the surfaces are perfectly smooth to start :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
Making casts or 3D printed ponies is not easy at all. My hat is off to those who try this or work with either medium.

Lets get back on topic please :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal