collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 664
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Second Hand Dolls and Bed Bugs?  (Read 13584 times)

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
Second Hand Dolls and Bed Bugs?
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
So the Strawberry Shortcake dolls I scored at Value Village today are hanging out on my sun deck in the snow. Why? Because I am worried about bed bugs. How worried SHOULD I be? How likely is it that they could hide on something like that or a Barbie? How about a pony? Is anyone ELSE nervous?
I'll bring them in in a bit, just hoping if anything IS there this will help.

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
Re: Second Hand Dolls and Bed Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
Bed bugs are everywhere in my town right now, The only thing to do really is to use bug spray, let it sit for a few days and then wash it to get the bug spray smell out.

FlyingPonyMonster

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »
I've never found bugs on second hand toys!

Repulsive333

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »
I am SO afraid of bed bugs it isn't even funny... :(

I do not want to jinx myself by saying anything... But i REALLY hope this never happens to me...

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »
Great. Now I'm scared too! I have no clue but now I'm gonna be extra careful too. Those things scare me!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
eeek yeah, I don't think you could ever be too carefull about bed bugs. They were found here in our movie theater *shudder* not worth the risk.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline stopxmotion

• Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
I had them in my old apartment. They were there when I moved in. So gross. I had never encountered a bed bug before in my life, and no stories about them either since they weren't prevalent in my old town.
I worry about them being in furniture so I would never buy a used couch or anything. I think toys and dolls should be safe though. I've purchased some stuffed animals from second hand stores that are fine.
You can see if they have bugs on them. Bed bugs are not microscopic.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Lon-san

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
Bed bugs are everywhere in my town right now, The only thing to do really is to use bug spray, let it sit for a few days and then wash it to get the bug spray smell out.
I wonder how that stuff effects plastic. Doesn't it have to be sprayed directlty on the bugs too?

I didn't want to upset anyone or anything, it's just something I've been nervous about before and getting a bag of stuff today made me think about it again.
I had them in my old apartment. They were there when I moved in. So gross. I had never encountered a bed bug before in my life, and no stories about them either since they weren't prevalent in my old town.
I worry about them being in furniture so I would never buy a used couch or anything. I think toys and dolls should be safe though. I've purchased some stuffed animals from second hand stores that are fine.
You can see if they have bugs on them. Bed bugs are not microscopic.

I hope to live and die without ever seeing one in person.  The part about them being able to hide in tiny cracks is what made me worry they might be hiding in dolls and ponies. And so difficult to get rid of. If I had to choose between them and fleas? Fleas all the way.

Luckily, I think I have been picturing them as smaller then they are. I didn't think they were microscopic but very very small and hard to notice.

Didn't see anything on the dolls while I was cleaning them. Should be fine. So why am I not 100% reassured?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:17:36 PM »
Bedbugs really only live in textiles- mattresses, clothing, plushies...  They can crawl on surfaces, but they aren't likely to be making it a home.  They're not waiting to crawl out and invade your space. 

I would say, anything from a thrift store, you're doing a good job by leaving outside in the cold for a few days (obviously protected from wind, rain, snow, etc.).  Airing it out will likely freeze them to death.  :)  After that, use some kind of disinfectant like bleach when you bring them inside. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
I worked at a Goodwill here in Ohio for a number of years.  We sterilize all our dolls/textiles/etc with wicked powerful cleaner to prevent any possible germ or parasite contamination. 

Bed bugs are not small though, you would likely see them on a doll or notice damage to the fabric for some other insects.  Extreme heat does well killing them.  Not sure about cold if it kills them or just sends them into a dormant state.  Always better safe though!
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
Oh gross, I've never thought of that before!!!  *is now paranoid*

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
The sun and cold will killthem don't worry.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
You're more likely to bring one home on your clothes when you go to the store. They aren't deadly though, just creepy. I see those infested shows on tv and everybody treats them wrong and stupidly. An exterminator spraying around the perameter of the room won't do anything.
Here's my attack plan. If you have them, first start going to bed camping style (with mosquito spray on). Then buy lots of diatomaceous earth and bug spray. Start with one room and remove everything but big furniture. Start drying clothing and textiles you can in dryer. Put diatomaceous earth on entire floor and leave it sit for as long as you like before you vacuum, although you should wear a mask to avoid breathing it in if you let it sit while you do the rest of the work. This stuff scratches the exoskeleton on bugs and allows them to dehydrate or take in pesticides faster, but its harmless to mammals. Then once the room is clear spray down couches or matresses fully with bug spray and let dry. Spray walls top to bottom left to right. Put bug spray in bucket and take a rag and gloves and start wiping down dresser pulling out each drawer and wiping all around them. Throw some diatomaceous earth in the drawers if you want, it won't hurt your clothes except to get powder on them. As you bring stuff back into the room, wipe whatever you can top to bottom with the bug spray. Even most paper can be wiped with a lightly damp cloth without ruining it. Got a bucket of legos or something like that, throw them in bleach water. Mix them all around so there are no air pockets in them where a bug could hide. Go room to room and go through everything with a fine tooth comb, or more like a bucket and a few spray bottles of bug spray and diatomaceous earth. I'd win, I'm persistant.

Offline stopxmotion

• Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »
...diatomaceous earth

Doesn't work. Trust me. My entire apartment was once coated with that stuff.

I moved out.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »
We once watched a TV show on bedbugs and they travelled around the house in the childs knitted doll toy. I swear my Cookie Monster has not had a decent nights sleep since!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal