collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Writing a Pony iOS/Android collection cataloguing app! (WARNING: PIC HEAVY!)  (Read 3814 times)

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a Pony iOS/Android collection cataloguing app!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 07:39:55 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire and starting college soon...so this would be awesome if you made it compatible on that!

If it's really complete, I'd pay 6 dollars^_^
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
1. I think maybe the price paid and condition.

2. I would love to take a picture of the pony! And yes my device has a camera.

3. I think it depends on the placement of the ads, also I would prefer to have the app with ads then no ads and no app. I think 4.99 would be a fair price.

All of the above, except that my device has no camera, but I could work around that.

(And if you can include a way to make the iPad keyboard more... useable... oh wait... that's my stupid fingers... by all means do it. LOL just kidding of course.)

Englishgothgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
How awesome would an identify the pony app be lol?

for when you buy a pony you aren't sure who she is, get a photo of the symbol / cutie print and it tells you who it is  :biggrin:

.............  :lookround:

.............  ............. :blink:

.............  ............. ............. :shocked:

.............  ............. ............. ............. :huh:

Yes I seem to have high expectations of this app but a girl can dream dammit!  :blush:

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire and starting college soon...so this would be awesome if you made it compatible on that!
Hmmm, Sadly, I don't think that would be possible. Amazon doesn't even let me access their Android store just because I'm not in the US.
How awesome would an identify the pony app be lol?
Iirc something like that already exist and is being written by another arena member?
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
I'm stoked to see your finished product. I currently own an iPhone, but Apple is quickly headed downhill, so I plan on switching to Android this November. So I'd be excited to see it come out for both phones. :D

I'd easily pay $5-10 for a really good, really complete pony cataloging app. I have a $5 collection app right now, but for all the pony stuff it would just become overcrowded and putting in new info would be a nightmare compared to your app.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Flutterblossom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »
Wow, I would definatly buy this app! $2-$4 seems like a good price for it. Maybe free with ads but you can upgrade it once you've decided you like it.

Offline munchy

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
I have a Droid and this app sounds like a dream come true! Having a way to keep my collection catalog with me everywhere I go sounds amazing and I love all the details you have in the mock up! if it was a super complete catalog I'd pay about $5 for it even with ads if they weren't too intrusive.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 05:35:48 PM »
I would love an app like that. I currently have an adroid phone with Gingerbread so for me to buy into it, the app would have to work with that.

1. I would like to store how much paid for the pony, date purchase, condition of pony (i have multiples of some ponies and want to remember if i need an upgrade, or the option could be need upgrade), if pony is mib/mip, accessories present, a tally if you have multiples, and a space for notes.

A later addition could be accessories. LIke not only check off ponies, but what accessories you have for them.

2. I would love it if you could store pictures but it would be hard because I have so many ponies my phone would be full in no time.

My biggest concern would be if you could sync it with a computer or storage system. I don't plan on having my phone forever but a guide like this will take a lot of work so I would want it to last. Any way that it could be exported as a spreadsheet or maybe have a version of the data base downloadable for a pc that could sync with teh app. I know that is getting really fancy but I'm just voicing a want if I could have it all.

and the most difficult question of all:
3. As long as the ads are not obtrusive or inhibit my phone I would not mind. I would pay for the app. For me the price depends on how easily I can take teh information from my phone and transfer it to a full computer, hard drive, etc. I'd pay $1-2 if it was difficult to transfer, $5 if I could archive and keep on computer and $10+ if there was a companion computer program. I bet I would pay more if it was really nice.

I know all my suggestions are really complicated and a lot of work but I figured I'd voice them anyway. I'll be really excited to see what you come up with.

Message me if you need any help with icons or graphics!
~Foxtale~

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
This sounds so neat!

1. Like the others, I would definitely like a space to list the price I paid, condition it's in and a checkbox for "Upgrade". A box to describe flaws or perfection could be neato!

2. Yes and yes! I would love to add a little picture of the pony I have so I can see it's condition. 

If the program came with a stock/donated photo/or slot where I could add a photo of a perfect one to compare it to say the version I have without a tail, would also be very neat!

This would probably take up too much room though!  :what:

3. Yeah I could see a $5 price tag or a bit more for all this!

I have an iphone right now but to have it available for android would be fantastic too! In case we all change/upgrade our mobile devices!

A portable checklist is genius!

Would it come preloaded with the names of ponies? Or is it a add as we go design?

Good luck with this!

EDIT: ads would not bother me if they didn't interrupt the entering process and like I said, I would totally pay for this service!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »
Wow, I would definatly buy this app! $2-$4 seems like a good price for it. Maybe free with ads but you can upgrade it once you've decided you like it.
I have decided to release two versions: A free one with ads and a non-free one that doesn't have ads. So yes, there will be a ad-driven (but otherwise unrestricted) free version for trying or those who cannot afford the paid version.

I have a Droid and this app sounds like a dream come true! Having a way to keep my collection catalog with me everywhere I go sounds amazing and I love all the details you have in the mock up! if it was a super complete catalog I'd pay about $5 for it even with ads if they weren't too intrusive.
Well, I've pretty much redesigned the UI again last night. Now instead of a long scrolling form, it's broken into multiple segments accessed from a row of buttons at the bottom. Also at the time I've added a bunch of new entry fields. However, work on the app is suspended until tomorrow night. I'm away from home on vacation right now.

1. I would like to store how much paid for the pony, date purchase, condition of pony (i have multiples of some ponies and want to remember if i need an upgrade, or the option could be need upgrade), if pony is mib/mip, accessories present, a tally if you have multiples, and a space for notes.

A later addition could be accessories. LIke not only check off ponies, but what accessories you have for them.
The update I added last night can currently store both the RRP of the pony (if you remember how much it costs in stores when it first came out) and the real price you paid for the pony. Condition of the pony is stored, but only the condition that the pony is in when you bought her (present condition is unaccounted for- hmmm, come to think of it, I might consider adding that too). I was planning to classify MIB/MIP under "Pony Condition", but I will make it separate if you think it's a good idea.

Accessories recording is provided in the "set" page on the new version I'm working on. And a notes section is definitely in.

A tally for multiples, I will definitely have to look into it. I haven't thought of that :P Though it will definitely be another part of the app.

2. I would love it if you could store pictures but it would be hard because I have so many ponies my phone would be full in no time.
True. Well, The app will use 280x210 pixel graphics (not great quality I guess, but enough to basically see the pony and it's cutie mark). Pictures are optional, tho, so you don't have to store it if you don't want to.

My biggest concern would be if you could sync it with a computer or storage system. I don't plan on having my phone forever but a guide like this will take a lot of work so I would want it to last. Any way that it could be exported as a spreadsheet or maybe have a version of the data base downloadable for a pc that could sync with teh app. I know that is getting really fancy but I'm just voicing a want if I could have it all.
I am definitely looking out for a way to implement that, since there's no way of getting data from the app from iPhone/iPad/iPod to Android because apple insists that iCloud be used as a method of online backup. Most likely the program would, at a tap of the button, be made to create a platform-neutral version of the database in a file which can then be copied from iTunes on the next sync. The database can then be imported into the android version.

There's more than one reason I want that implemented. Aside from moving from one phone operating system to another, I'd want to give the user a way to back up their data in case they need to restore the phone to factory default.

3. As long as the ads are not obtrusive or inhibit my phone I would not mind. I would pay for the app. For me the price depends on how easily I can take teh information from my phone and transfer it to a full computer, hard drive, etc. I'd pay $1-2 if it was difficult to transfer, $5 if I could archive and keep on computer and $10+ if there was a companion computer program. I bet I would pay more if it was really nice.
Noted. Thanks! I may consider the companion program in the future.

Message me if you need any help with icons or graphics!
Will do, but then I'll have to figure out how to send royalty :P

1. Like the others, I would definitely like a space to list the price I paid, condition it's in and a checkbox for "Upgrade". A box to describe flaws or perfection could be neato!
Noted with thanks. Will have to remember to add a "Upgrade" switch (apparently Apple doesn't think Checkboxes belong in iOS :/ You can make your own, but Apple may or may not approve of it) and a box to describe flaws would be added once I get home tomorrow.

2. Yes and yes! I would love to add a little picture of the pony I have so I can see it's condition. 

If the program came with a stock/donated photo/or slot where I could add a photo of a perfect one to compare it to say the version I have without a tail, would also be very neat!

This would probably take up too much room though!  :what:
Well, it won't come with any photos, sorry :( It's not about taking up room. It's because I could make it possible to pull the picture (or indeed, an option to pull remaining data about a pony based on name, generation and type) from a online database hosted somewhere, but it will cost me in the long run to host the database somewhere. Still, a possibility for future versions of the app.

A portable checklist is genius!
May consider adding the feature in a later version :P

Would it come preloaded with the names of ponies? Or is it a add as we go design?
Well, it's sole purpose is collection management. So you will need to enter the name as we go along.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:24:42 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
"Well, it won't come with any photos, sorry  It's not about taking up room. It's because I could make it possible to pull the picture (or indeed, an option to pull remaining data about a pony based on name, generation and type) from a online database hosted somewhere, but it will cost me in the long run to host the database somewhere. Still, a possibility for future versions of the app."

This makes sense! I had no idea about the legality or fees, but I figured as much :) Just daydreamin away!

Anyway keep it up, this is really neat! Good job! :enthralled:

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
Have you considered just doing a real website with a mobile version app for the phone?
I would not consider an app like this if all that data was stored on my phone. I have way to much other stuff on my phone like music and movies.
You could have it function in an offline manner so that it syncs when you plug your phone in or have a wifi connection just like google+ does.

I think you need to break down your use cases and see what you need on the phone it's self. I would recommend you break it down in order of features as well. Doing a big project like this is often better done in chunks. I would also consider seeing if there is any sort of library sharing or other ways you can reuse your code between platforms.
~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
Q1. Aside from the basic information (pony name, generation, colors (mane color, tail color, body color, etc), cutie mark, and purchase date, what other information about the pony do you expect or intend to store in the app?

A:Maybe Country, or variation status - for like pinkie Pie 'IV' rather than just pinkie pie several times, and so that they could be ordered by name AND by country, however you chose at any given time, rather than having to sift through them all to find all of your variations of the same pony, or all of your italians, for instance.

Q2. Do you need to store a photo of the pony in the app? Does your device have a camera?

A: That's a great idea! Yes, I have a camera!

Q3. Do you mind ads showing up? If I put a price on the app, how much are you willing to pay?

A: I agree with other members that for something good I'd pay up to $4.99. Mind you that's AUD, which seems to be dancing around equivelency with USD at the moment, I bought two lots of ponies in 2 days, one was an extra 12 cents, the other was less 62 cents!

Android! Android! I tend to agree with your viewpoint of apple. They're the cool mean kid that everyone just HAS to hang out with because it's cool too, even though everyone really hates them and the restrictions they put on everybody for their own personal gain. Android is more like the pony philosophy, we encourage customisation and creativity!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
Have you considered just doing a real website with a mobile version app for the phone?
Well, the program is supposed to be used offline. The idea here is a handy little app that helps you keep tab of what your pony collection. Doing such thing completely using websites and online would be the equivalent of building an entire social network centered around MLP collectors! As fun as it may sounds, it's not exactly the scope of the app. 

I think you need to break down your use cases and see what you need on the phone it's self. I would recommend you break it down in order of features as well. Doing a big project like this is often better done in chunks. I would also consider seeing if there is any sort of library sharing or other ways you can reuse your code between platforms.
Definitely! At the moment, it will be a basic database app customized for MLP collectors to keep track of their ponies. The other promised features are not coming so soon :P

A:Maybe Country, or variation status - for like pinkie Pie 'IV' rather than just pinkie pie several times, and so that they could be ordered by name AND by country, however you chose at any given time, rather than having to sift through them all to find all of your variations of the same pony, or all of your italians, for instance.
Well, the app currently allows you to attach a "type" to your pony and list. I can see that being used for variation. Country tho, that's new. Will look into it.

Android! Android! I tend to agree with your viewpoint of apple. They're the cool mean kid that everyone just HAS to hang out with because it's cool too, even though everyone really hates them and the restrictions they put on everybody for their own personal gain. Android is more like the pony philosophy, we encourage customisation and creativity!
Noted. Android version will be coming once I get the initial iOS version out of the way.

---

And here are the latest screenshots. I redid the add pony screen a few more times since coming home from vacation yesterday until I was able to get something that works. Now to figure out how to wire in the Database logic :P

The screen is now divided into 6 different sections.

Options to mark a pony as having tinsel mane and tail now available.

Pony family to indicate if this is a pony, unicorn, pegasus or winged unicorn. Also, CM entry field made multiple lines to allow entry of TAF pony Cutie Marks. And a option to mark a pony as having glitter on the cutie mark has been implemented.

Option for tagging a pony as needing an upgrade added. Also, a text area for describing the flaws of the pony, and field to select the present condition (as opposed to condition the pony was in when bought) and country of origin added (took a whole 10 minutes to implement partially :P I'm still working out the database storage logic).

Town, state and country has been lumped into a single address entry area since it makes more sense to handle it that way. Also, an option to mark a pony as traded for instead of bought.

Notes screen remains unchanged aside from the new sleek (but still WIP) layout.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:22:39 AM by RAMChYLD »

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »
*squee* looks awesome... can't wait to see the finished product. can you post screenies of completed entries when the database is finished for iOS? I'm seriously additional memory shopping in preparation for this app... I'm a bit of an app junkie already lol..... can't wait for the android version, there's already pony pics on my phone for when I'm shopping, lol, this will make things a million times easier!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal