collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Writing a Pony iOS/Android collection cataloguing app! (WARNING: PIC HEAVY!)  (Read 3835 times)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
So I've been thinking about how some members in the arena have been asking for an app to help them manage their pony collection. I have worked with several programming languages in the past and have developed apps, but not for Apple iDevices before. So I've decided to take a crack at it just to see what I can do and use this as a learning experience. There's no guarantee that this will result in a pony collection management app appearing in the app store, but if there's enough demand for it, I just might consider publishing it. I'll explain why later on in the post, but first, I have a few questions about how the app will be used.

1. Aside from the basic information (pony name, generation, colors (mane color, tail color, body color, etc), cutie mark, and purchase date, what other information about the pony do you expect or intend to store in the app?
2. Do you need to store a photo of the pony in the app? Does your device have a camera?

and the most difficult question of all:
3. Do you mind ads showing up? If I put a price on the app, how much are you willing to pay?

The reason I ask question 3 is that because despite what people say, Apple isn't a pleasant company to work with- to be able to sell apps on the app store, one needs to pay a yearly fee of US$99 upfront before they'll let your apps onto the store, and even then for every copy of the app sold, they take a slice of the payment. Once I get the app done, I will consider working on an Android port of the app (reason I'm not doing Android first is that my current android phone is a real lemon- it only has 100MB of storage and only runs Android Gingerbread). However, I might be able to give the android port away for free because Google is much more lenient with the Play Store- heck, I can choose to not use Google's store and distribute the app independently and it will still work even if you don't jailbreak your phone (assuming your telco allows installation of unverified packages on your phone). Or should I just give up on Apple and go straight to Android? (which wouldn't be too hard anyway because I was pretty much trained up on Java for all 6 years I spent on the IT course in college, and Android phones technically runs a Java derivative)

So yeah. Let the feedback roll in :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:38:43 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a Pony iOS/Android collection cataloguing app!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »
team iphone right here!! I would love you forever and ever if you published one.

1. Maybe current selling price, we provide our own?

2. Yes and yes!

3. Honestly, ads don't bother me very much if the app is worth it. I'd pay up to $4.99 for it.

:)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
that sounds awesome!!!!!
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »
1. I would say current value (and if not, the market value of the pony at the time of purchase) and condition would be great.
2. So awesome if we could take a pic of our pony!
3. Don't know how much ads would discount the price, but they annoy me so much. But if they are needed I can deal with it. I think $5 is a fair price

I don't have a smart phone, but when I get one (and the time is coming!!), this would be the top of my app list, in complete seriousness. >.< I really really have been wanting something like this..

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
I would so buy this app!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

lilcricketnoise

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »
1. I think maybe the price paid and condition.

2. I would love to take a picture of the pony! And yes my device has a camera.

3. I think it depends on the placement of the ads, also I would prefer to have the app with ads then no ads and no app. I think 4.99 would be a fair price.

I have a Droid currently and don't intend to switch to an Iphone in the near future. Maybe you can run a survey to determine what your potential market uses?

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
1) Condition, Price paid, and a space to write in your own extra notes would be great!

2) Pictures yes please :) My phone has a camera.

3) I don't like ads, but I'm willing to live with them if it means a free app. I've downloaded so many apps and then deleted them because they just weren't my cup of tea, and been glad they weren't something I'd paid money for. I'd also think long and hard before I spent $5 (or more) on an app like this. I've used both Ponydex and Klect and given up on them before long because they just weren't quite what I was looking for, so I'd be reluctant to spend much money on an app I may very well only use a couple of times. A dollar or two sure, probably, but any more than that, and it'd have to be really nice. I guess I'm just cheap and picky  :drunk:

And I own an iPhone, if it matters. Good luck if you decide to give it a try! It's definitely something I'd love to see available :)

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »
Well, to be truthful, I'm willing to write this for free since the purpose I embarked on this project is to learn how to code for iDevices. The thing here is the cost to put the app on sale in the store. The free beginners account I have right now allows you to code your apps and test it in an emulator, but I can not distribute it  in any way or even load it into a real iDevice for testing unless I upgrade to a real developers account. However there is no such restriction on Google's Android platform.

At $5 tho, I don't think I'd want to put ads in the app.

What if I offer two versions of the app, one with ads but given away free, but another paid one without ads?

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep em coming! I will post some mock-ups of some of the entry screens I created yesterday once I get home. I only have my Windows laptop to work with at work :( (that's another downside of programming for iDevices. Want to write an app for one? Buy a Mac first).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:35:49 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 02:46:28 AM »
Thats a great idea! Good luck RAMChYLD - no iphone here so I ll leave others to answer the questions :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 03:30:55 AM »
Two versions sounds great, I often d/l the free version of something to see how it is, and then the ads drive me mad and if I like it I'll happily pay for the ad-free version :)

I have an iPhone and it has a camera, I'd like the ability to add photos. Also, the free text thing someone mentioned sounds like a good idea.

Awesome that you are thinking of doing this, I hope it doesn't cause you too much of a headache :)

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline Mapago

• Trade Count: (+20)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »
That's a great idea! I have a Bada phone, but I'm planning on buying an android soon
1. I  think a small desription of the pony you own would be nice to have, in case you want to upgrade it
2. I'd totally store pics of my pony on it, my phone does have a camera

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »
Two versions sound great. I use android, and do not ever want to get an iPhone...so maybe have this app available for both ops in the future would be lovely.

1. Maybe a thing to mark your pony condition? Or to list current pony value or what you paid for said pony?

2. Yes I have a camera, but I think it would be nice to be able to upload photos from a file too?
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
team iphone right here!! I would love you forever and ever if you published one.

1. Maybe current selling price, we provide our own?

2. Yes and yes!

3. Honestly, ads don't bother me very much if the app is worth it. I'd pay up to $4.99 for it.

:)

This ^^

Also, FYI, I have a few iOS apps on the app store... and I'm a C# guy, have been for years but that "Objective-C" is a nightmare, even if you are a seasoned programmer.  I suggest buying a book.  I found an okay one, forgot the name though.

Tenar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 07:27:36 AM »
You have to use xcode on a Mac OS.  And yeah yearly fee sucks.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »
Firstly, as promised, here's some screenshots of what I've done so far. This is not the final interface, I might rewrite it again (already did it a few times), but it provides a basic idea on what to expect. I also already have a a list of new information fields I'd like to add to it that isn't there yet.

This is the main menu. It will have a List and Search option added as well later on. Right now I'm focusing on only the add new pony screen.

First page of the screen. The blank space at the top is supposed to be where the image goes, and the button there is to invoke a screen to select between choosing a picture from the Photos gallery, or taking a fresh image with the camera if a camera is available.

Second page of the screen. There's some options that aren't there yet, but yeah, I'm trying to cover every corner of the base, from tail ribbon color if any to the little mark in the eye of G3s. Mane and Tail entry is multiple line to ease entry of multi-colored mane and tail ponies.

Additional features lets the collector record any notes on the pony (for example, if it's a talking pony, the fact that it talks and the type of batteries to use). Set information lets the collector record the name of the set the pony came in, the release date, and the accessories the pony came with.

The last screen is for recording the purchase information- seller, the condition the pony came in, the purchase date, and purchase price.

Two versions sounds great, I often d/l the free version of something to see how it is, and then the ads drive me mad and if I like it I'll happily pay for the ad-free version :)

I have an iPhone and it has a camera, I'd like the ability to add photos. Also, the free text thing someone mentioned sounds like a good idea.

Awesome that you are thinking of doing this, I hope it doesn't cause you too much of a headache :)
Well, I'll most likely try to port it to Android once I get it done in iOS. Dalvik (Android's programming language- sounds like something a Dalek uses, doesn't it :P ) is next on my to-learn list.

As for causing a headache it won't. I hope. So far it's only one sleepless night because I was unable to get something on the interface mock-up working. I've solved it. I'm not sure if I still have what it takes to do real coding (or even app layout design work - I admit the layout does look a little... ugly). But I'll survive :)

That's a great idea! I have a Bada phone, but I'm planning on buying an android soon
1. I  think a small desription of the pony you own would be nice to have, in case you want to upgrade it
2. I'd totally store pics of my pony on it, my phone does have a camera
Two versions sound great. I use android, and do not ever want to get an iPhone...so maybe have this app available for both ops in the future would be lovely.

1. Maybe a thing to mark your pony condition? Or to list current pony value or what you paid for said pony?

2. Yes I have a camera, but I think it would be nice to be able to upload photos from a file too?
Yep, those are definitely in with the UI revamp. And selecting a photo from file, that will most likely happen first before I implement camera support, since my iPad doesn't have a camera. And I don't think the emulator can emulate one too.

Also, FYI, I have a few iOS apps on the app store... and I'm a C# guy, have been for years but that "Objective-C" is a nightmare, even if you are a seasoned programmer.  I suggest buying a book.  I found an okay one, forgot the name though.
Totally! :P I went through various languages through the years, did Java through college and C# and VB in my years working as a programmer before I had a burnout and switched to system administration, but "Objective-C" is extremely strange indeed. It feels like I have to throw out everything I know about Java and C# and start from scratch.

I did get a book - Teach Yourself iOS 5 Application Development in 24 hours.

Hopefully Dalvik would be easier once I get this out of the way.

You have to use xcode on a Mac OS.  And yeah yearly fee sucks.
Exactly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:38:56 AM by RAMChYLD »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal