collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hi from a new (small) collector  (Read 3935 times)

Buzzybuzz

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi from a new (small) collector
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
How old are you?

Where do you live? State, Country?
USA, Illinois not to far from Chicago.

Do you work or attend school? Profession or major?
Sadly no for school, but I am aiming for soon. I work retail, and am hoping to major in environmental science and graphic design

Ponies:
I have a G4 Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Lilly Blossom.
I have 20 G1's thanks to two lots I got off ebay, some I can name are:
(* means they need work, if it doesn't have it it is pretty good. Might have a mark or two. I did get most of them from a bait lot/)
Scoops*
Cotton Candy (Flatfoot!!)
Applejack (two of them, one is *)
Butterscotch*
Twilight
Moonstone* (2, one isn't to bad)
Sunlight*

and these I haven't double checked but was on the list for the box I got:
(almost all of them need in-depth work)
Sprinkles 
Cupcake  (so soft)
Sky Dancer x 2 
Flat Foot Butterscotch 
Moonstone 
Starshine   
Peachy 
Moondancer 
Blossom 
Lemon Drop 
Cherries Jubilee (so soft)
Powder (Missing Horn, this might end up just being actual bait)

How long have you been collecting?
About 9 months maybe? I think 9 months ago about I bought my first pony, Lilly Blossom and Pinkie Pie.
It's harder because my mom I think thinks this is a bit weird and I live with her. I am planning on selling some of the ponies I bought in the bait lot, and because of this she thinks I am doing this to make money (whatever helps make her image of me not of some weirdo *eyeroll*. This is no different from collecting dolls and she wants me to be into american girl dolls), when I do want to have a little collection and restore ponies (some to sell since I am not as fond of some of them. But G1's are so sweet so I know I am keeping a few. I started this whole thing just from trying to find a G1 minty to buy for myself XD). It saddens me that a lot of people custom ponies that can be restored (but I am not against customizing, I want to custom as well. But not ponies that can be fixed), and boy am I glad I bought this "bait" lot even though it was over my budget. Some of these ponies are really bad, but most can be restored, and some just need a little TLC.

Which generations of ponies do you collect? G1, G2, G3 or G4?
At this time G1 and G4, and it will probably mostly stay that way. I might get a couple G3's and G2's, but my favorites are probably G1 and then G4 (I would say G4 as MLP:FiM got me into MLP, but G1's are bigger and sweeter looking).

What made you want to collect ponies?
I love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and I wanted to buy some G4's. Then after awhile I told myself I would let myself buy a G1 or two, so I started searching ebay for some, expecially Minty (sadly I did not get her, but someday I will!). Then I saw a lot that needed some refurbishing and I got reminded of customing, and I remembered how much fun it seemed to me (I love crafting and sculpting, so it seemed right up my ally). So I looked for some baits as I figured I could custom some, then I realized not to long after that that these are collectors items, and so I decided I would fix up what I could, and what I couldn't I would custom. Since reading so many threads, guides, and tutorials on both customing and restoration I decided to try everything I could to fix up a pony if I can. As a collector myself (I collect collections it seems hahaha) and someone who appricates older items in general, I know how painful it is when someone ruins what could of been fixed.
So now that I own a ton of ponies at the moment (and even though I will probably sell some, I want to get others *coughMINTY!!cough*) and care about the ponies, I guess I am a collector now XD.

This community seems great, and the past few days I've read a lot on the (old) forums so I figured it was time to create an account so I can ask questions, learn, and join in on the fun!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from a new (small) collector
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:39 AM »
Wow!! So glad to have you!

Welcome to the MLP Arena!

Offline RandomPony

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
Hi! And welcome  :biggrin:
:frolic:

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 to the Arena!  :wave:

I have worked in retail all of my life so I know how hard it can be!  At least you are using it as a stepping stone for bigger and better things :D

Good luck finding Minty.  If you are patient I am sure you will eventually find a lovely one at a good price :frolic:

Sternenstaub

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »
Welcome to the arena!!
I'm sure your collection will grow up soon. :)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
Greetings and :welcome: to the new Arena, Buzzybuzz! :frolic:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

FlyingPonyMonster

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »
Welcome to PonyLand, so glad you joined us!!! :welcome:

Buzzybuzz

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
Thank you for all the nice replies! :D

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
Welcome to the Arena!

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
Welcome to the Arena, Buzzy!!!  :)  I hope you can find a nice Minty, she's a beautiful pony.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »
Welcome to the Arena, best of luck finding Minty, she is the greatest in either generation.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »
Welcome! I enjoyed reading your introduction; it's nice when people take the time to write a lot! I think it's great that you like restoring ponies that are sold as bait but aren't really. It makes me so sad to see nice ponies used, especially G1s! I have a lot of "baity" ponies in my collection and I love them to bits.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it here. Oh, and watch out for those G3s...you may THINK you won't get into them, but they are so addicting. If you get one in a lot and like it...there just might not be any stopping 200 more from entering your home/heart. :P
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
Welcome to the Arena!!!

I hope you have fun fixing up the G1 ponies!!

Buzzybuzz

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
Welcome to the Arena, best of luck finding Minty, she is the greatest in either generation.
Hahaha, I have to kinda agree there! I don't know why I love her so, I think it's because of http://kimonos-house.livejournal.com/ and I love Minty so much from there. But I also really like her design. I also LOOOVE mints. I love minty flavor so much.

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your introduction; it's nice when people take the time to write a lot! I think it's great that you like restoring ponies that are sold as bait but aren't really. It makes me so sad to see nice ponies used, especially G1s! I have a lot of "baity" ponies in my collection and I love them to bits.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it here. Oh, and watch out for those G3s...you may THINK you won't get into them, but they are so addicting. If you get one in a lot and like it...there just might not be any stopping 200 more from entering your home/heart. :P
Thank you! And yeah, I bet! There aren't a lot of G1's out there. I am still going to custom some, like this one Powder I have is just.... really really bad. But it is going to take a lot for something to become bait for me because I know there are collectors out there (and me XD) who pains at the thought of customing a pony that could of been saved. But unless it's for my personal collection/I really like the pony (and even then, because Powder looks nice and I do like her original look), if I really have to do a ton of work (for this powder: make a new horn, somehow get rid of all this smooze, dye the body, re-hair, cutie mark compleatly gone, and more. Even if I do fix her up she wouldn't be the same pony because of all the work.)

I'm sure I will to! and hahaha, I had a feeling that was a thing. I am looking into getting a g3 minty (suprise suprise) but I do have to keep in mind my budget, I am not allowing myself to buy much of anything XD

Offline bigmlpfan

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Currently offline due to illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
Hello and welcome :)

bigmlpfan xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal