collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing Nirvanas  (Read 997 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Rehairing Nirvanas
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »
I am with KKV on it. I wont set out to buy a rehaired pony - I would rather have a pony with a buzz cut as she is than with shiny new hair. Depending on the pony their "value" to me could be about the same anyway [or even perhaps more for the non rehaired pony]. I feel that way with any rare or hard to find pony not just nirvanas. While I understand the concept of rehairs on common ponies, I am not in favour of it on any hard to find pony and that includes [virtually] every nirvana. It comes down to the "originality" argument, for me. It really doesnt matter what you collect - stamps, ponies or cereal packets - "originality" is key. Restoring [which is what rehairing is] would in general be frowned upon because it changes the original item in some way. 

I should point out I do have 2 Argie rehaired babies however but they came in an ebay lot and I kind of like Sparkler with her bright pink hair!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline cingeyepony

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://cingeyepony.tripod.com/mycollection/index.html
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 04:54:26 PM »
I rehaired one of my nirvana ponies bc I never intend to sell it and the mane and tail were pretty short. I did keep the tail hair tho. Maybe looking back I maybe I shouldn't have but I really wanted the authentic length on her hair. I used all donor pony hair and made sure it was the same color (even made sure each hole was filled with the same color. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
I won't buy a rehaired pony. In the past I unknowingly bought rehairs that were not properly marked or disclosed by the sellers. I think rehairing ponies can lower the over-all integrity of collecting... there's a limited number of old toys in the world today & changing their original condition is irreversible. If I'm going to spend the money on a HTF pony, I want it in all original condition, even if that condition is less than perfect. 

I'm pretty much with this, too.

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »
I probably wouldn't buy a rehaired pony unless the price was appropriate. however I have bought some bald ponies and rehaired them, it's not irreversible and improves the appearance. They stay in the herd at any rate :) .  I have received htf non-nirvanas before and later discovered they were rehairs so it makes me wary. Rehairs should definitely be marked as such.
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Marian

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/meldes/
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
I rehaired several argies  that I planned to keep and I even bought some rehaired ponies. I've sold some argies that I rehaired myself when I got an upgrade. I simply don't understand why so many people is against it, I mean you are trying to make them look better and give them new life after years and years of being thrown away. And you are giving the chance to someone to get a hard to find or a very expensive pony for a cheaper price, and that can't be bad, not everyone can pay an orignal, and rehairs and fixed ponies are a good option. Also I'm against marking rehaired  ponies with  permanent marker, I think that would totally ruin the few original things that the pony had left (plastic in this case)  . The main condition to me is obviously, being extremely honest when it's the time for selling or try to mark them with something that doesn't ruin the plastic

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
I have a NC Tickle that I gave new hair to... is it really bad if I'm touching up her symbols to? I can wash it off if it angers the Nirvana Pony gods!

ETA: I looked her up and apparently she's a Spanish variant?  I didn't know that...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:21:56 PM by TexasGal »

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 02:10:27 AM »
I always think that it's up to the pony's owner to decide. If they think they might ever want to sell their pony, I would think they wouldn't retouch their symbols or rehair, to keep the pony as original as possible. I know I wouldn't touch my Peruvians or Argies, but I'm planning to rehair my Italian to make her a custom of a OOAK pony that I was beat to buying. And I do not intend to sell her and if I will, I will sell her as a custom or as a rehair, properly marked at the bottom of the hooves. I have a NC Starflower who is almost bald, missing her tail, has cuts near her tailhole and I ordered hair to give her a new look. She is a gorgeous girl and I want to restore her to her full glory and put her on my shelves on display. I don't want to part with her either so I don't think I should feel guilty about restoring her. 

I completely understand people who wouldn't buy rehaired Nirvanas, especially if that wasn't reflected in their price or mentioned by the seller. That's not acceptable at all. I had received a wonderful Majesty in a swap once and was glad that she was marked by PKW, otherwise I wouldn't know she was restored.

Yes, you are right that originality is important - especially to collectors. There is a limited amount of ponies and I agree that baiting an otherwise perfect pony is not justified, no matter if we're talking about G1, G2, or even G3. But at the same time, as I mentioned above each collector should decide what to do with their pony. Ask yourselves if you are happy with how your pony looks like now - maybe it's a better idea to sell it and keep looking for a one in a better condition? Maybe someone will love that bald pony with frizzy, cut tail, who knows? But if you're okay with a rehair - don't feel guilty about it because many collectors don't share your opinion. IMHO, it's better to restore a pony to it's former glory, even just visually, than turn it to a complete different custom, with FBR, etc. That would be a shame.

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 06:41:15 AM »
When it comes to Nirvanas only, I'd personally would rather have them with chopped up, frizzy, mangled hair than to have a re-hair.  If your patient with restoring, you can fix almost any condition of frizzy dry hair. But lets say they have no hair to begin with, then I would re-hair only with authentic MLP donor hair. I once got a Baby ruby with sadly no mane but using a donor tail was able to re-hair her which looked quite nice. Then when it comes to buying/selling, I definitely think it knocks value down for me at least.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

sosoftbuttons

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 07:22:38 AM »
I won't buy a rehaired pony. In the past I unknowingly bought rehairs that were not properly marked or disclosed by the sellers. I think rehairing ponies can lower the over-all integrity of collecting... there's a limited number of old toys in the world today & changing their original condition is irreversible. If I'm going to spend the money on a HTF pony, I want it in all original condition, even if that condition is less than perfect. 

me toooooo :P

i'm all up for spending hundreds of dollars/pounds on rare ponies and to have them arrive here with little or no hair, covered in dirt and mould and rust etc, is all ABSOLUTELY FINE with me.  i've got a white argie peachey (blue hearts) &  a brazil magic star both of which have got the shortest buzzcuts you could imagine, but i just cant bring myself to rehair them. every time i look at the argie i think how sad she looks being bald, but then she's original and if i rehair her she wont BE original anymore. 

its a toughie, but as others have said = your pony, you do with it what you want. (but i stil say dont rehair ;) )
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:26:26 AM by sosoftbuttons »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal