collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wisdom Teeth Removal  (Read 3285 times)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Wisdom Teeth Removal
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:43:36 AM »
For me this doesnt belong in WYP because It's not something Im scared of. I need to have my Wisdom Teeth removed soon because I can't brush them well enough (hard to reach) and they dont want me to get any infections so just In case I need to get them removed. It will by my first surgery (and visit to the hospital) in my whole life. Does anyone want to share their experience to see what I can expect? I also want to mention that I will get local anaesthesia (injections) instead of Gas. Just curious what I can expect. Same with the pain as well. I need to visit two times so two will be removed each time. Which ones are the best to get removed first?

Thank you. :)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Wisdom Teeth Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »
I ended up getting some weird dreams while being put under, but its like only minutes have passed since you closed your eyes.

Expect the first week to be murder.  My face was soo swollen it turned angular and the first day not even T3s worked.

It gets better as time goes on :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:55:10 AM »
Never fun. I've had one wisdom tooth pulled out and was miserable, it won't last long though and the procedure is fairly quick. Nothing to worry about. :hug:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
I had my lowers done in high school and my uppers a few years ago.  I didn't go to a hospital, it was just in the dental surgeon's office.  I had an IV both times, which is about the last thing I remember about each procedure.  I woke up both times thinking he hadn't started yet but he was finished!  In high school I was up playing a softball tournament the next day, but the upper ones later took much longer to heal, probably because I refused steroids after.  If I had taken them I know I'd have been fine sooner but I gain a lot of weight on them and I don't sleep, so they weren't for me!  But both times I felt fine after and did alright on soft foods. 

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
I had all 4 of mine removed at once back in high school, so I can't really answer the question of which are the best to go first. Mine were growing in sideways, so it was pretty imperative to get them all out together.

I was put under, so I felt zero pain. Even after waking up, I remember being drowsy and mumbling about some nonsense, but no pain. It was a great experience, all things considered. :)

I ate lots of jello and pudding the day of and day after, but I was bad and had pizza on the third day. :P If my marching band director hadn't known about the surgery, I'm sure I would've tried playing my saxophone too. I guess I was a bit of a rebel, lol But yeah, you should be fine!
Instagram / Want List

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
I had all four of mine removed at once, and for me it wasn't too bad. I was given half a valium the night before the surgery, and another half the morning of (I have a terrible stress problem lol). They put me under via IV/Injection and the removal went smoothly. I slept a LOT afterwards, as in the entire day. I was given some high strength pain medication to take if I needed it, but even having all four removed at once I only needed a few advil the first day, and after that I was fine. Pain varies from person to person though (my fiance also had all four of his taken out at once and managed with only advil as well). My annoyance was with not being able to open my mouth all the way lol. I think the swelling lasted about a week on me, and I was up and moving around only a few days later.

Warm salt water rinses twice a day really helped me too, just don't swish too hard, if at all (I would just tilt my head back and forth). Also, my dentist warned me to not use straws for a week or so, since the suction of using one can cause issues. Dry socket is the main thing you need to watch out for. I didn't get it, because I was super careful, but I was told that it can cause some major discomfort.

My pro tip though? Don't sit around right after and binge watch the food network XD Really, it isn't worth the torment! lol

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
If possible I would get them all out at once.
I would also highly recommend getting knocked out. I know I HATE the dentist so I did not want to be awake for them taking out my teeth.
I went in, and when I woke up was pretty groggy. My dad drove her home and we actually stopped at the pharmacy I worked at to get my Percocet, he made me go in. I was not in the best mood XD

At home I took a nap, I hated the Percocet so I only took it once. Then it was just Tylenol or ibuprofen, a lot of liquids and relaxing at home. My face did swell a lot, and I did get food stuck in my wisdom "holes".
But all in all it really wasn't that bad, I got lucky.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
I had all four of mine done at once in the oral surgeon's office (no hospital).  They put me in what they called a twilight sleep (used an IV).  So, I was semi-conscious and could follow instructions to open and close my mouth, but other than being able to tell that they were working in my mouth, I didn't feel a thing.  They gave me Vicoden afterwards, but I only took half of the prescribed dose that first day then switched to over-the-counter stuff the next day.  Really, the only pain I had was a very minor ache on one side that completely vanished the instant they cut the thread to remove the stitches on that side when I went for the follow-up (in other words, that stitch was too tight).   I recall doing the rinses and keeping the holes cleaned out, plus needing to avoid certain foods for a week or two.  I don't recall having any swelling or at least none that was noticeable. 

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
*chimes in* I recently had mine removed a few years ago! Please note that I have no parents so I had to pay everything myself. I didnt have enough moolah so i opened a Discover card account just for the event which is already paid off! Because of that I have a higher credit score!  :biggrin: :cool: Management let me take off a whole week of work even though I requested 2 days. I was put under with anesthesia injections into the IV.  I had ALL 3  removed at once. I will NEVER develop/grow a fourth and the ones I did have were half the size of a normal wisdom tooth (he showed me a plastic model tooth compared to mine) I was told as a kid I would have only 3 total my entire lifetime. I got lucky because it saved me $$! There is a high chance any offspring I have will also have less than 4 or none at all. A lot of people in my family only have/had a few, or none at all. My husband doesnt have any either! Kinda lucky I guess?

It really wasn't bad in fact I wish I could do it over again minus the charge for the anesthesiologst. I only developed 3 wizzies and they were very very tiny, all impacted but no pain. I did start to feel them "bud" inside my gums, like start to push out, I had some free xrays done at an oral surgeon and confirmed there were my wisdom teeth. I got them taken out asap because I didn't want to experience any pain.  I didn't have any co-pay since my insurance (basic Aetna plan) covered it but I requested to be put under because of my anxiety. I paid $700 for an hour of being put under, but I wasn't even out an hour- about half an hour. I just showed up in my jammies, they put on classical music and let me take a nap after putting on a pulse monitor on my finger. I didn't even wake up feeling the IV put in, but I was told I was totally zonked out drooling s soon as it went in and the anesthesia was put in. I woke up in NO pain and everything looked funny- kaleidoscope vision! I was Px'd vicodin and a special mouth rinse for 2 weeks. I healed VERY fast, like I was eating normal foods after day three and I could then open my mouth all the way after. The first 3 days i mostly slept and got up to change out the gauze pads and to eat/rinse. I was high the whole tine off hydrocodine! I never got dry socket or anything because I healed that quick. I ate a lot of mashed potatoes, bread,  and chicken broth that week xD The rements of anesthesia lasted days in my body since I'm so teeny tiny and it was really fun LOL. I was in no pain what-so-ever before or after! I'm very thankful I only have/had 3 develop and the oral surgeon said my teeth were some of the smallest wisdom teeth he has ever seen xD My husband was even more of a servant than he sometimes was and he bought me get well gifts which was nice!  :blush:

Nothing to worry about though, dear! In fact I hope you like being treated like royalty when you are healing and I hope you will encounter no pain like me!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:56:49 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:16:54 PM »
After 4 years of pain from braces my mouth had no room for wisdom teeth. I had a great sophomore spring break while in High School. IV sedation, like others have said; it was nothing, absolutely nothing while the procedure was done (I didn't know if I was dead or alive). I'm not a fan of being loopy, but I was for a bit after it. Highly recommend if they're going to give you pain meds to get them as a liquid. Big pills no go down after that. I had chipmunk cheeks plus a good week of being sore.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline LNS

• So Soft Pony
  • Glitter Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • on pink wings ...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
Like others I had all four of mine out at once in the oral surgeon's office. I too was knocked out for it. Not sure if I had some kind of a reaction to it or if they used too much for me as I was very out of it for an entire day after, slept mostly and was very groggy. Was sick the first 12 hours. Literally every hour I threw up for those first 12 hours after having my wisdom teeth removed. Really awful for me. Made it hard to keep gauze in my mouth the first couple of hours after.

Didn't take anything for the first two days after the surgery as I could feel nothing. So thought you know "all is fine" after being so sick that I wasn't going to be bothered. When the anesthesia finally did wear completely off very much got hit with pain and needed to get my prescription filled at that point. Hadn't earlier as nothing was bothering me as my mouth was completely numb for two days. o.O I was eating whatever the day after though without a problem. Didn't do the whole soft food thing, probably should have but since I wasn't in pain right away didn't see any harm.

Honestly once things wore off and my cheeks no longer resembled a chipmunk's stuffed full I was doing really well. :) After 2 days of nothing, having a day where I was miserable and in pain wasn't too terrible. Did take the pain killers after that for a couple of days, which took a few hours to kick in but once they did I was very much fine.

Offline chaosprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 06:28:07 PM »
I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth surgically removed all 4 had to be cut out at first I was nervous, but its not that bad at all, all 4 were out within an hour I got the shot in my mouth the worst part to me was getting the needle twice to the roof of my mouth other then that I was so numbed up that I did not feel a thing I suppose it depends on who will be doing the procedure I had a good dentist who was quick and once the Novocaine wore off I was in pain, but I just slept it off then I was fine I took medicine to prevent infections and I was instructed to eat luke warm food, but that was not bad at all so overall getting your wisdom teeth removed is not bad at all. 

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 07:30:43 PM »
I just had my first wisdom removed last month! The procedure was easy, fast, and relatively painless. The extraction itself just felt like a squeeze and a crunch. (I chose a local anesthetic) Healing was fine, eat soft foods and keep it clean, avoid smoking and straws and you'll be fine. I barely even needed the vicodin they prescribed. Best of luck!

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:35 AM »
I only ever had the bottom two, the top two never developed.  Both were impacted (sideways under the gums) so I had to have them surgically removed and needed stitches.  I went under with the IV, it was over before I knew it.

It was rough the first week, could only have soft foods (it hurt too badly to chew) but then it got better.  I recommend you get one side at a time removed so you can still have the other side to chew!

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 04:05:52 AM »
Thanks for the reactions everyone. Like I mentioned I will get injections instead of Gas but the dentist told be they are just stronger then the ones you'll get when you have a cavity so Im used to injections. Just scared of hearing the teeth come out etc. As for the pain, we will see how it goes but I'm indeed planning on getting one side removed at the time. ^^ Im not sure If I'll be lucky that most of them are already fully grown so they aren't hiding under my gum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal