collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Breyer - where to start? :)  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Zoundz

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishrats.co.uk
Breyer - where to start? :)
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »
I'm really interested in starting to collect Breyers - but no idea where to start, what guages are best? I do really like the old wooden barn, always wanted one anyway (ever since I was little) - what guage of horse would fit it best? As that's something I'd like to build on - if I did start collecting them, it'd be whatever size fits the barn best :)

xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Breyer - where to start? :)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »
I bet Diamond can help. I'll direct her here when she's on again.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline scarlettkitty81

• Trade Count: (+275)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
If I remember correctly, the barn fits the traditional sized breyer horses but I could be wrong. A good site to go to is www.breyerhorses.com for size info.

I personally love the traditional size horses but am also a fan of the smallest ones called Stablemates which are very cheap and easy to collect/display if space and money are issues.

If you are looking to buy them I may have some traditional size horses for sale :) I usually only charge what I paid for them. Since I started getting back into ponies I have not been as into my model horse collection since it is more expensive. Traditional models range all over the board depending on availability, breyerfest release, special/limited edition ect. I tend to collect those that are harder to get so I pay anywhere from 40-70$ for one horse.

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »
Oh yes... well cost may be an issue alright! :( Ah bummer. Not a big fan of the little ones, but you're right, might be more sensible!

xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »
Hehe like Kat said Diamond will be a good place to start. She knows a lot, but also she nudged me into joining Blab a while back. You should jump on there! I don't post a ton, but they have such useful information. I'm sure they would be able to give you different links and ideas to help with your question.

I actually have one of the old wooden barns (or might have to check that might have chunked it). Mine wasn't just super super great and could only hold a few tranditional horses. I think maybe going the route of hiring someone to make one might be awesome? Maybe the barns are better than they used to be though. I dunno all mine lives on bookshelves. :blush:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

pixieponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:06:08 PM »
agree with Madhatterda, Model Horse Blab is a good Breyer forum. I started with Breyer and rekindled my love of ponies from there.

p.s. if you customise Breyers are soooo much easier than MLP

Offline Zoundz

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:50:15 AM »
Thanks guys - what is Blab?

Really would like to get into them (would have a go at making barns myself actually!) but I just can't afford them at the moment - so it'll be a while, if ever! Will have to keep eyes peeled in charity shops and bootsales, not that I've ever seen more than one, ever!

Will make barns for breyers? XD Not sure anyone wants a barn I'd made though! I'm sure I'm not exactly fab at it, having never done it!

xx

pixieponies

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 03:00:33 AM »
i have i can post this here http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/forum.php

its a forum like this one but for Breyer collectors

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:25:41 AM »
Geez, I feel the same way.  I've admired Breyers for years and would like to collect them.  But they're expensive, and I have nooooo idea where to start because I know very little about them.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »
The Classic size is a great way to get started into the world of breyers. Fairly affordable. Try places like ebay and Amazon for good deals. Some times you can catch a great price on a traditional size model there.

Also, feel free to join Blab. We are always glad to see new members and answer your starter questions as well  :biggrin:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
I admire them from a distance :)  Diamond is really into it though--as other have said.  Im sure you can get all the help you need, here<3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
Cost depends on how picky you are, just like ponies. I have a floor to ceiling shelf overflowing with breyers and some on other shelves because I ran out of room. I collect traditionals because there just aren't that many classics that appeal to me and I think they lack the quality of traditionals. I get them at rummage sales, craigslist, antique malls and more. Most of mine cost me less than $10 and are in decent shape. If I really want a particular one I'll buy it in the store, but otherwise I just get what comes to me. I've gotten some nice hard to find woodgrain Breyers just by luck. That being said, I don't know what collecting where you live is like.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
I'll also suggest Blab as a good forum to check out.  You'll need to sign up for an account to read anything, but the free account should be sufficient to get you started - it's mostly the showing and customization forums that are only available to the paid members. 

You may also want to just poke around on http://www.identifyyourbreyer.com/index.html to see what appeals to you.  I collect mostly Traditionals and some Classics.  The Classics are more affordable while still being a nice size if you're not into the really little ones like Stablemates.  Most do lack the detail of the Traditionals but some of the newer ones are pretty nice.

For buying older/discontinued models, check out http://www.modelhorsesalespages.com/.  I've never had much luck buying Breyers at flea markets and such - I tend to get the "It's a Breyer!" comment from dealers asking $30+ for one that's the equivalent of a baity Peachy, but there are some good deals out there occassionally if you keep looking.  Just make sure you do some research first.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
there were a bunch at an antiques mall near me and they were all half off , I am not sure they are still there though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal