collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doll nudity - a problem to you?  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
Re: Doll nudity - a problem to you?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
That being said I think that certain BJD need censors on them due to the fact that some of the boy dolls are atomical correct.

I want to point out the fact that a doll having 'junk' is not considered "anatomically correct". BJDs are within the uncanny valley, but are generally anatomically impossible in nature when you size them up in their entirety.

In any case, doll nudity is all whatever to me. If you want to censor it, be my guest. If you want to show it all off, be my guest! Photos done for sales should not be censored, imho. People can take advantage of the fact that an area cannot be seen in the photo and I agree that buyers should know what they are buying.

They are dolls. It does not matter how much you treat them like they are people, they just aren't. I say the same thing about dogs. It does not matter how much you treat a dog like it is a child, it isn't. It's a dog. A doll is a doll. A dog is a dog. A child is a child.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
It's a society thing I guess? Especially in America.
I think it's also done out of consideration for others.
Now me, I only 'censored' my dolls chest on the MH forums when I was selling something. I dunno they seem stricter over there.

Everywhere else? I don't think anyone cares enough? Because honestly...how many of us had barbies lying around nude in our playrooms?

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
Everywhere else? I don't think anyone cares enough? Because honestly...how many of us had barbies lying around nude in our playrooms?
Man, I hated redressing my Barbies...so difficult.  I usually gave up after I got the clothes off lol.

Oh geez, I remember those anatomically correct baby dolls from kindergarten! Now that I think back, what were those toy companies thinking?  :lol:

I don't know but I still have them and I think they are great lol.  Not sure yet if I would give them to my own kids but who knows lol.  They have open mouths for a bottle or pacifier.  I remember with one of them I had dropped a tooth pick down the hole to see how far it would go...it is still in there to this day lol.  One of them even still has the hospital ID bracelet on it that it came with.  I am guessing they were the type of doll that the gender was a surprise..."Did you get a boy or a girl?" without doing it by showing it had "blue vs. pink" clothes or something. 

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
It doesn't bother me on MH dolls (especially minus nipples and with undies molded on) but I'm amazed at how many of my guests come in to my studio and notice naked ones waiting for clothes right off the bat. That seems very odd to me, and I am pretty prudish about nudity (at least I consider myself so). I ended up putting all of my nude dolls in a drawer, but it was more of a motivator for me to finish their clothes, but I think I am also more self conscious about it from people's reactions. As for sales, I don't think they should be censored at all. I don't think little kids go around shopping for BJDs (and why would little ones be surfing the net alone?)

I have noticed other people being self-conscious about wanting to see pix of customs/new releases nude, and I think while it's perfectly natural to want to see the new mold and not even remotely sexual, I think it is very considerate of them to be concerned for the discomfort of others. That's just good manners, and goodness knows we don't have too much of that in this country.

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 09:58:40 AM »
Maybe I'm old fashion and I don't like seeing doll junk.

I'm gonna now out now before I say something I can't take back.

Plastic Curves

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
It's confusing to me why they feel the need to cover something that doesn't exist.
Personally, I think when the photographers pose the doll to appear as if shamed to be unclothed, they are actually heightening the sense of it being sexual. The mind's eye adds in the details being covered. When they are displayed just standing there, hands to their sides, they are just dolls. When you pose them hiding their non-existent bits, you are not only breathing life into them, but adding a level of naughtiness. You let the viewer think, "hehe, I just caught her undressed..."
There are no molded underwear on the torsos I produce. I was even asked to produce a torso with added details. Since all of my customers are adults, I do plan on adding that style torso. What I will probably do is put a placeholder thumbnail that says "NSFW" so my customers are warned before they click to view the item. It's not because I have a problem with it, but because there really are some people who find nudity distasteful. What's odd to me are why some of those same people have no problem with images of death or dismemberment.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:09:44 AM by Plastic Curves »

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:14 AM »
I'm a total liberal, and I have zero problem with nudity! We're all born naked! Personally, the think American culture as a whole is still extremely repressed when it comes to nudity, even when it comes to dolls. I commend other countries that are much more open with it!

This!!  :relaxed:

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
I have no problem with doll nudity.  In fact, one of mine is currently nude, in bondage, and suspended from my ceiling.

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
My feelings on it are weird. I have no problem with nudity, at all. I can go past naked dolls without a second thought, and to be honest the ONLY time I get uncomfortable looking at a naked doll is customs where the customizer added nipples.

That being said, I personally get a little too attached to my toys in general so I just feel bad when the one's I've really gotten attached to are naked and I instinctively cover them up when they are naked and drying from hair being styled and what not. Again, that's just me and my personal dolls. If you came into my house with your doll and styled it along side mine and set yours down not covering anything I'd not look twice and not be freaked out by it, but I'll still be "NO BABY YOU NEED TO COVER UP YOU'RE NAKED" to my own doll because of how special and meaningful they are to me.

Skelita, Jinafire, and Robecca though.. if I had all the money in the world and had doubles of those, I'd have one of each of them naked because of dem details.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:20:00 AM by Icicle »

Offline FlitterRose

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Welcome to Daydreamland. No reality allowed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 10:21:07 AM »
Its nothing about being purish its just the fact that my neice likes looking around the arena when she is here and I don't want her to see things like that. Even on a doll. And there are younger kids on here. I believe the sign up age is 13. Maybe there parents don't want them to see things like that either. Kids already grow up to fast as it is.

Yeah, that's the only thing. My lil sis wants to hang out in this site too, although she's here only if I let her. Anyway, nipples aren't shown under their clothes, so I guess they have something like attached to them plastic underwear.

Or said with other words - I don't have a problem with this either  :)
Sup

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
I'm honestly puzzled by the censorship too, at least in regards to your basic kids' toy doll like MH, Barbie, or AG. In context, like a picture story or something, censorship is fine, but out of context I think a lot of people take it to an extreme. I mean, really; sending someone a message asking them to dress a doll they were selling nude? That just seems ridiculous to me, considering the doll doesn't have anything to censor anyway.

More detailed dolls, like the BJDs, are another story, in my opinion. A lot of those are far more detailed than the dolls that are put out as toys, and I do think those should be censored, or at least warned about. Not because I have a problem with nudity, but because I think you should be able to choose whether you want to see it or not, rather than have it kinda "forced" upon you.

Plus, with a board like the Arena, there's a chance a kid might see something they're not mature enough to handle yet. I'm not sure what the minimum age for members is, but on most sites, it's 13. If I were a mother to a 13-year-old, I wouldn't want them to see detailed nudity, even on a doll.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
Doll nudity doesn't bother me.  When you're changing the clothes, you're going to see the doll nude anyway.  And the MH dolls aren't that detailed.

YellowCat

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
I have no problem with it and think it's silly some people are uncomfortable with a non-anatomically correct piece of plastic that vaguely resembles a human being naked.  If I'm buying a used doll I want to know what condition the body is in, also I store all my dolls in the nude to avoid clothing stains (Barbie legs anyone?) or melt marks from different types of plastic touching for a long time.

Another thing I was thinking of- Clawdeen and the other werewolves and Toralei and the werecats all have 'fur' so if they are nude (without clothes) they still have their fur and we don't consider our pet cats and dogs nude when they run around wearing only their fur.  My kitty would murder me in my sleep if I started making him wear clothes because some people don't like the fact they can see his kitty weewee and nipples.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:11:07 AM by YellowCat »

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »
I have no problem with it. They have no nibbly bits!!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
I don't mind doll nudity, not even in detailed BJDs. If I wash the hair of one of my dolls for styling it, I'll sometimes put them in a terry cloth barbie bathrobe just to be silly but generally I let them hang around naked for a while. No big deal, she's plastic. (:
I don't prefer them naked of course... but when the hair is wet, I don't want the clothes to get wet too!

However, I know some people are uncomfortable with it and that's fine! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions! ^u^
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:50:10 AM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal