collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doll nudity - a problem to you?  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Doll nudity - a problem to you?
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:53:46 AM »
Just a little something I've been asking myself.

A lot of people seem to "censor" their nude dolls when doing photos of them for ebay, some can't picture themselves displaying Skelita "in the nude" and most reviewers on youtube don't show a doll without clothing, allthough the bodies of many dolls are really interesting (Skelita, Jinafire, Gorgon Girl, the see-through CAMs).
I've even seen some people warn for "doll nudity" in thread titles like it was somehow a trigger.

I wonder why that is? The dolls do not have any genitals, they don't even have nipples. They have undies engraved onto their little doll butts.
So why cover their "shame"?
Is it because of decency laws that you feel obligated to censor them or do they grow on you so much they become people to you and you feel you can't just expose them like that?

I'm not judging, not pointing fingers.
I'm honestly just curious as to why some people do that kind of thing :)

Personally, I would never make the doll cover his/her body for any ebay photos or hesitate to display a skeleton or scaled creature "nude". If their body molds look creative and cool - why not?
In context of photos I could understand a censoring. For example, you want to take a picture of one doll walking in on another one in the shower and you blurr the "naughty bits" to indicate that the character is supposed to be naked.
But completely out of context? Why should it bother people?

What are your thoughts on the subject? :)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
Re: Doll nudity - a problem to you?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:00:54 AM »
I don't know. It doesn't bother me...

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 05:25:55 AM »
I wouldn't say it bothers me to see nude photos like on eBay and stuff, but as far as displaying my dolls nude, I don't know that I could. I might be able to do it with Skelita, because I feel like a lot of her detail is lost by covering it up, but for Robecca and Jinafire, I don't think I could. I don't know why. As a child, my Barbies were ALWAYS clothed. If you go look at my little "Barbie suitcase" in my parent's storage, they all still have some sort of clothes on, which I've been told is odd for a child. :shrug:

Aaryana

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:41:07 AM »
Interesting. This is an issue in the American Girl collecting community as well, and I also don't get it. Example: I was selling a doll nude, so I photographed her nude. Someone messaged me and asked if I would put clothes on her and retake the pics. I said no because I wasn't selling the clothes and buyers should see what they are buying. I asked why but never got an answer. AG has even less nudey bits than MH!

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:50:47 AM »
No, it is not a problem to me. I do not quite understand this either, but I am curious as to what others think and feel about it.

ZettaMomo

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »
I don't see any particular problem with it. If I don't have an outfit for my dolls right away because I am either waiting to get the time to sew one or go to the store to buy one I will leave them out nude. It doesn't really bother me.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:59:46 AM »
I think some people get worried because they assume that these dolls depict characters who are not adults, especially in the case of AG dolls. They worry that it's like posting a photo of a nude child, and to many, that is a taboo.

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:03:19 AM »
I don't like to leave my dolls hanging around in the nude, but when it comes to sales ads you should only photograph what you're actually selling, nude or not, imo. However, I know some hosting sites are funny about more detailed doll nudity, so some bjd's have to be censored if you want to host the pics on certain sites.
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:48 AM »
I'm a total liberal, and I have zero problem with nudity! We're all born naked! Personally, the think American culture as a whole is still extremely repressed when it comes to nudity, even when it comes to dolls. I commend other countries that are much more open with it!

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »
I feel like people who feel the need to censor a doll or get offended by an uncensored doll are being prudish and silly. It's a toy, for pete's sake!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
I'm a total liberal, and I have zero problem with nudity! We're all born naked! Personally, the think American culture as a whole is still extremely repressed when it comes to nudity, even when it comes to dolls. I commend other countries that are much more open with it!
Woo, preach it brotha!

I have some nudes that I keep wrapped in a towel because the sight of what is essentially a pile of bodies might be disturbing to the house guests, but when I'm posting pictures for sale or whatever I censor nothing. It's nudity in a non-sexual context and doesn't personally disturb me... plus, I'd be worried someone would find an imaginary mark on one of the boobs and slam me for deceptive advertising LOL

Speaking of molded undies, it's interesting that Jinafire and Skelita lack them while Robecca does not. I wonder what's up with that?

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »
OK I wasn't gonna say anything but I feel the need to now. I am not offended by doll nudity in dolls like MH, Barbie and Pullips. That being said I think that certain BJD need censors on them due to the fact that some of the boy dolls are atomical correct.

Its nothing about being purish its just the fact that my neice likes looking around the arena when she is here and I don't want her to see things like that. Even on a doll. And there are younger kids on here. I believe the sign up age is 13. Maybe there parents don't want them to see things like that either. Kids already grow up to fast as it is.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
This is an interesting topic.  I do not find it offensive with selling dolls, especially since you should be able to see what you are buying.  For instance with AG dolls, the bodies could have stains or rips or loose limbs or something that could easily be hidden with clothing.  As for seeing MH dolls "censored" I kind of think it's funny like the doll themselves are doing it, if that makes sense.  Like "Uh oh, I'm naked!"  It's also easier with them now as a pose because of being articulated.

As for dolls that are anatomically correct, I didn't really think they made dolls like that anymore.  I have a couple of plastic "newborn" baby dolls that are anatomically correct from my childhood.  I don't know what brand they are or anything but I always loved them as a kid because they were so detailed (except the hard plastic bodies, not very huggable lol).  I guess to me the boy baby was just that, a baby.  Most kids see their little brothers or sisters naked anyway (taking baths together, diaper changing, etc.) so not a big deal to me.  As for adult parts, that to me is a little more sensitive but it's kind of similar there.  Like having to take kids of the opposite sex into locker rooms after say swimming lessons, or stuff like that. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
Doll nudity? meh I'm fine with it, MH is completely non-topical or non-visible, so it's fine. Moulded pants are fine, it's not showing anything, so Im fine with it. As for boobs on dolls, I'm not bothered either, it's a doll, and to me a doll is a doll, it's not the end of the world! XD

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »
Oh geez, I remember those anatomically correct baby dolls from kindergarten! Now that I think back, what were those toy companies thinking?  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal