collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The journey to my first real pony display!!!! [Pic heavy & long]  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
The journey to my first real pony display!!!! [Pic heavy & long]
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
Way back in July 2011 I started to really collect MLPs. A few months later in September (well, practically October) my boyfriend's mom and I moved from California to Idaho with my small handful of ponies. We expected to live here for "just a little while" so I was never able to do anything nice with my ponies or my room. I've lived out of boxes since we got here.

My collection started out small and was displayed however I could manage, stacked on cardboard boxes and whatnot. Around this time my boyfriend's mom offered to buy me a big, beautiful brand new real wood and glass display case. I was too shy to say exactly how in love I was with it so she didn't buy it. I've regretted that ever since.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It got a little better after I was bitten by the Liv bug.

But there was a very clear problem: dust! For some reason we couldn't explain, our apartment was insanely dusty. Pulling all the ponies and dolls down every few months for a deep clean just became too much. We moved a big furniture thing I'm not even sure how to describe into the room and covered it in saran wrap. It doesn't look great (although its a lot better in real life than in photos) but it kept the dust away and that's what mattered. Most of my ponies had to move into dresser drawers.

(Later we learned that the dust issue was caused by our air conditioner not having a filter in it at all for like 1-2 years, so no wonder it was so bad.)

For years that was all I had, aside from the few baity ponies I'd allow to stay out and just periodically dust off. As my collections grew and my boyfriend moved in space became a big issue. I did what I could but without places to put things there was nothing we could do. Its been a rough couple years trying to deal with the problem and work around it, with everyone getting super sick of it. I added the backcard for my OOAK Cutie Pop and my G2 Ivy backcard to liven up my ghetto display case but not much else really changed in those years.

We've been scouring Craigslist for display cases for ages without any luck. A few months ago my boyfriend and I realized we could fit a bookshelf behind our giant bedroom door to replace the sad stack of boxes currently there. We checked out Craigslist a bit more but all we learned was that no one ever measures the bookshelves they're trying to sell. A few days after that boyfriend's mom and I decided to check out the furniture store and they were having a sale!

The next day we came home with a nice big bookshelf and this like, entertainment center thing? Its supposed to go under a TV I guess. Anyways, the first night all the G3s had to hang out on the bookshelf while the drawers aired out. I changed the G1s around a bit at least 5 times that day.

The day after that I spent my time cleaning my big box of G3s... the big box that had been sitting behind the bedroom door since July 2013. Never cleaned, hair never combed... it was very sad. I took them out to look at and photograph of course, but they had no space to live so they got put back in the box immediately. I forgot how nuts it is to wash a huge box of ponies. I was sore for days! Anyways, after getting their combs ID'd and new photos taken the G3s fit perfectly into 4 of the drawers, with room for dolls in the rest!

Two days ago boyfriend's mom and I decided "just to drive by" the furniture store to see if they had a tent sale going on. And then we decided "just to look" inside. And then I realized that the white sliding glass door little cabinet thing I fell in love with last month was still there. Its meant to be used for dishes in the dining room or something I guess, but we were totally sure it would fit perfectly into boyfriend and I's closet!

We were wrong. x.x

Within like 15 minutes maintenance stopped by. They took off the closet doors, slid it inside, and put them back on. Thankfully it fit in perfectly once the doors were moved around! (Don't mind the giant Christmas bag of stuff I need to pack up and put in the garage.)

Its not 100% finished yet since we still need to get a frame for the Joker art we have to replace the pony one (which will move to the other side of the room with the other pony art) and put posters on the closet door. But beyond that the pony corner is pretty much done! (The cardboard boxes behind the dolls are my lightbox and lightbox accessories.)

This is the "final" display! My Sundance army, my favorites (plus my OOAK Cutie Pop), and my quarantine shelf. Every single one of my G1s is on display now! Our room has real, actual furniture! We can display things! Organize things! For the first time in around 5 1/2 years I have a bedroom filled with my own things, not a single one hidden away against my wishes. And for the first time in nearly 4 years I have a bedroom without a single cardboard box being used as furniture of any sort. I don't even know how to describe how I feel. Its just... so good!!! Its like this huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I'm happy every time I walk into our room! Its so nice to own furniture and have all of our possessions inside, instead of out in the garage in risk of being damaged. Its even better they have a place to live! We have drawer space for clothing! And I finally, finally, finally have beautiful, glass-covered displays for my ponies and dolls!

(Don't mind the random clothing behind the ponies. I needed something to cover the giant cutout cord holes. And of course I need to get some nice dye-free cloth to go under the ponies but one step at a time!)

Bonus photos of non-pony furniture :D
Spoiler
Our bookshelf! Its not 100% finished yet, since I still need to find somewhere to store the Cotton Candy Cafe and fix up the top shelf, but the rest of the shelves are all beautiful and perfect! (The fuzzy Hello Kitty pajama pants are there to keep the door from hitting the bookshelf.)

The sliding glass doors cabinet thing! One half is reserved for out-of-season clothing, blankets, etc and the other half is shared between boyfriend and I. The top currently just has plushies, but he'll probably add more there at some point. The bottom has the rest of my great aunt's childhood doll collection!!! She gave them to me when we went down to California in January and they've mostly been wrapped up in cloth to protect them ever since. It broke my heart to see the mound of blankets covering them for so many months but I don't have to be sad anymore! They finally have a nice, safe, dust-free home where they can be displayed and easily accessed when I want to photograph them!!!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: The journey to my first real pony display!!!! [Pic heavy & long]
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »
That is awesome that your going to be able to enjoy your ponies now!  :) I loved all the pictures  and thank you for sharing with us!

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »
Loved watching it grown and change displays :)  Thanks for sharing.  Look forward to seeing more in time!

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:54:36 PM »
You've come a long way in a short amount of time. It's really cool to see how your displays have changed over a few years time. I especially love the cabinet in your closet, and your display with decorative boxes and poster. It's so perfect. Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 11:10:13 PM »
Very nice to see that you can enjoy your ponies now the way you want!!!

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:30:13 AM »
Oh wow.  Your collection is so nicely organized and displayed.  It's a shame you missed out on the large display case but it looks like you have lots of other options at the moment anyway.  Thanks for sharing pics :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 06:22:37 AM »
Thanks so much everyone! :D

I'm still a little bummed about missing that original display case (it was so beautiful!), but in the end I think this worked out even better. If we'd bought it I don't know how or where I would've fit a useable area for my lightbox, like a table or anything, into the room. Plus these ones are easier to protect from sunlight if need be (the original one was pretty much all glass, just wood edges and such). So I guess my shyness paid off in the end, haha!

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:42:01 PM »
Nice story and pics! Enjoyed it!

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 04:43:31 AM »
Gorgeous display & collection! P.S Also looooooveee the cure! :heart:

Babydoll~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 07:41:12 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing. Everything looks amazing!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 08:37:16 AM »
You have a lovely collection!