collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Insurance and keeping records? Anyone do this?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance and keeping records? Anyone do this?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »
I am pretty sure that I have it covered under my home owners insurence. I know that I did have something on there like that. I might have to dig the papers out and check it out. I never really thought about this kind of stuff. 

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »
Renters insurance is something anyone who rents should have, period. Even if you put a small dollar value on your possessions -  you NEED to have liability insurance. What happens if you leave a pot on the stove and burn the building down? You are liable.

I've had renters insurance since I lived in a college dorm. My posessions were my clothes and books, so under $10,000.  With two million in liablity. :P

Post Merge: January 13, 2013, 07:48:34 PM

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »
My boyfriend is a financial advocate and works in insurance, he's helping me with getting my collection ready to insure... it's not an easy process but we are adding it to our homeowners insurance. So - that's an option for you homeowners out there :)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Right now my renters insurance covers mine, but I might need to look into something more. Since mine has moves more towards Nirvanas. I might need a different plan.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
All this discussion has me thinking!  I'm currently in the long process of dragging my collection out of storage and on display again, and as I do I use Ponydex to catalog everything.  Plus, Ponydex keep a running total of the "worth" of your collection (assuming you entered correct up to date amounts) and after only cataloging about a very small portion of my collection its "worth" over $1200.  I expect when I am done its going to be over $10,000 and have actually been thinking about having it insured.  Does anyone know if Renters Insurance could cover such a collection?  I currently rent and do not have renters insurance but have been meaning to look into so now is as good a time as ever!

Every insurance policy can be a little bit different. Lygeia's information is brilliant and the simplest option is to check with your insurance company. Always explain what you are doing and what you need to insure. Its always best to be open with an insurance company otherwise it is far too easy for them to turn around and claim the policy is invalid due to information not being revealed. Better be completely insured and pay the premium than a lower premium and a policy which doesnt pay out.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
We're looking into this right now. My job this week is to write down everything in my collection, it's value and to present the information to the insurance company. :)
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »
Collectibles Insurance Services, LLC    www.collectinsure.com

This is who we use.  My ponies number somewhere around 1500-2000, plus playsets and rare accessories. I keep track more by what I DON'T have, than what I do (it's a shorter list) but I do have photos of most everything.  My husband's toy & collectibles collection is even more extensive and valuable, so we buy this insurance to cover everything. The process wasn't bad at all. They don't want you to specify each item -- just groups of items. So for me, all they needed was a list that went "First generation My Little Ponies with accessories & playsets, Third generation My Little Ponies with accs & playsets, Fourth generation MLP.... etc" and then you add a general value to each section.  For very rare items, you'd list those individually with its value. You can adjust your value up or down at any time, and they'll adjust our montly or annual premium. 

I've never had to make a claim, but my husband has and it was really easy. He broke a couple of collector statues just moving them around from shelf to shelf.  He called them and they gave him an option to either keep the pieces and receive a percentage of the value in the form of a check.  Or he could send in the pieces and get a check to cover the replacement cost.   It was very hassle-free.   

But we haven't ever had to make a huge claim (such as a massive fire).   Do read the fine print on what they DON'T cover, for instance I don't believe they cover water damage or mold damage unless it's under specific conditions.  So if you're storing ponies in a moldy basement, don't expect them to replace them....that kind of thing.   

We talked with an insurance agent about switching home insurances, and he asked us if we had separate insurance on our collections, and asked who we were with.  We told them Collectibles Insurance, and he said "Good. That's actually who I would've recommended. They're highly rated."   

Offline MLPWhitney

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+149)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Ashlyne! :D
My :heart: belongs to wacky G1 merchandise!

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
Last year when our House and Contents Insurance was due, I spoke to the company about my collections - a) stamps and b) My Little Ponies......( no - the lovely young lady didn't laugh.....she wanted to know how many I had and which ones and so one- she had MLPs as a child too......may have started off another collector!!!)

I had only to roughly estimate my stamps collection (30,00 stamps - $20,00) and my ponies (let's say 1000 ponies at $10 each) (not all that accurate perhaps but a bottom line) and all we had to pay for these 2 collections to be included was $15 extra for the year.

So now our policy for house and contents includes general household stuff and my 2 collections!
Let's face it - if your house burnt down - you could NEVER replace every item - useful, usable or precious....but it is a base line should a  disaster happen.  :relaxed:

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal