collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The first thought I had this morning-  (Read 2373 times)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: The first thought I had this morning-
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »
I'm going to be honest and it's probably not a great opinion to have.

I've seen it happen where adults send their kids to ask adults for things. Fleamarkets, garage sales, thrift stores- even fairs. Parents who don't want to pay sometimes send their kids to ask adults for their toys.

If the item I have is meaningful to me or I need it for my collection I know it will be kept and preserved for longer than the child will hold interest in it. Even my little cousin who I got into mlp and gifted things to got rid of it all and I've outlived her collecting and I gave her some pretty collectible hard to track down items in the name of her being a kid. Looking back I might have been just as generous but with less collectible merch. Kids outgrow it and I have this sentimental need to make the toys last as long as possible.

SO in the end, no, if I got there first and I want the item for my collection where it'll be kept within the community I'll do it. If it's a common piece or a double I'd gladly give it up in hopes that the kid appreciates it.

But a lot of kids are pretty entitled, parents use them to score deals, and I'd rather take this on a case by cases basis based on my own experiences.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
I would keep it if I picked it up first.

Conversely, if someone else got to it first I wouldn't try to "bribe them" or "trick them out of it."  That just doesn't sit right with me.   "First come, first serve" goes both ways.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 11:56:37 AM »

Conversely, if someone else got to it first I wouldn't try to "bribe them" or "trick them out of it."  That just doesn't sit right with me.   "First come, first serve" goes both ways.

Omf Yeah I agree with this I would also just be WAY too anxious to do that?? I saw some lady carrying a big bag of g1s at vv one time, but she was like, clearly another collector. Made me cry a little I totally could have scored that bag if I was just a Little earlier... But finders keepers is a two way street ;  )
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wishlist

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »

Someone got to a box of ponies before me, and they were walking out of a garage sale as I was walking in. I'm not a shy person, but this surprised me- otherwise I would have walked up and had a conversation with them about their ponies, found out if they were a collector--- it's worth more to me to find another collector than to get the ponies first! Much more useful!

I've actually convinced a child that they didn't want the pony in their hands before. It was at a flea market, with a big box of ponies, and I started telling her about how Parasol was one of the very first Rainbow Ponies, and this one was in really good shape. Soon she had put down the pony I wanted, and skipped out with Parasol. Win win! That wouldn't work if there weren't other ponies, of course!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »
Would I give the kid the pony?  lol no

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 04:03:26 AM »
If it were a super common that I already had I'd give it to the kid, but since it's not the case, I go with many here and say first dibs gets it.  IMO something rare like that should be in the community.

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »
I rather take the pony for myself, if it was a really rare one. (First comes first)

I told a lie to someone once when I saw this doll I really wanted in a car boot sale. I said to this girl that the doll comes to live and rips the heads from their other dolls, I told her to go for a horse when I asked her if she had any horses for her dolls. She left with the horses while I got the doll.

A funny thing happened when I was little, this store I went to with my mum they had the original LPS (90s versions) there was this girl who wanted this monkey playset I was holding with another set (the other set was mini mice). Mum said I could only have one and I put the mice back and took the monkey one.

This also happened when the Gloom n Bloom Monster High dolls were on sale at Tesco, this girl wanted Venus McFlytrap and I scooped it up.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:10 PM »
As cold-hearted as it sounds, I'm going to say I absolutely would keep the pony for myself. First-come, first-serve is a concept that children would do well to learn young.

Plus, the emotional pain I'd experience from losing out on a pony I'll probably never see again would objectively outweigh the emotional pain the child would experience from not getting a toy they'll likely forget about in a week, LOL
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline Storybelle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
I can be very, very nice when I want to. When I was ten I had some money for a birthday so I wandered into a toy shop. But they didn't have anything I wanted so I bought a toy my sister wanted instead and gave it to her.

That said, if I find G1s or any pony that I want out in the wild, no batting eyelids or temper tantrums will pry it from my cold, heartless hands. From children or parents. Especially from parents.

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
I really can't stand other people's kids so I wouldn't feel the slightest bit sad to tell a kid no, it's mine. I found it first.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
Ha ha ha ha! Good to know that there are other people with my "keep the ponies, who cares about the kids" sort of instinct.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »
You're all unconscionably mean :silly:

I liked the way Skeen answered best: "lol no"

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 01:56:35 AM »
I wont give it up. Chances to find another are soo slim and to be honest... my grails are ponies are have been looking for at least a year or much longer (some for more than 10 years), so I think if I ever find one of them in the wild I WILL keep it no matter what kid comes up wanting it too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal