collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can this be fixed  (Read 977 times)

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Can this be fixed
« on: June 08, 2021, 06:53:01 AM »
I own a lot of ponies with completely fine hair. But the problem is that the bottom of their tails are extremely frizzy at the ends. What can I do to fix it.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Can this be fixed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 07:29:39 AM »
I like to direct folks to DerpyDerp's video on defrizzing. The same stuff is explained elsewhere, but video format is easier to digest. :)
I use a small flat iron personally. When you're setting your heat on your tool, I set it so I can hear the sizzle of water but not much beyond that. Take care to not melt the hair!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 07:34:10 AM »
I once tried an iron before on one pony with really bad frizz and it didn’t really do anything. So I don’t know if this will work better or Not.

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 07:35:29 AM »
It works well enough for me. :) What was your process before?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:42:34 AM »
I had a princess cadence who had the worst frizz I’ve seen. She looked like a perfume puff pony. So I spent hours brushing her hair with shampoo and conditioner. But even after spending tons of time on ironing she still looked the same and her hair didn’t even look cut or anything. For normal ponies I just put their hair under the sink and style it with soap and water then wash it out.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:52:37 AM by ponyprincess2021 »

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:17:56 AM »
When you say iron, what sort did you use? Was it strong enough to sizzle the water?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:28:22 AM »
A clothes iron did nothing for me but I've had some good results with a flat iron / hair straightener (do these mean the same thing? I know nothing about hair styling...) so yeah, there's a difference! Both types of 'irons' have been recommended but I guess my clothes iron simply isn't hot enough. Hope this helps :)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 09:32:05 AM »
When you say iron, what sort did you use? Was it strong enough to sizzle the water?
It was a curling iron. I only watched a couple of tutorials before doing it. Maybe It did nothing because her hair was dry.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:45:04 AM by ponyprincess2021 »

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »
I've had mixed results with curling irons because you're looking to basically re-melt (gently) the plastic in a flat shape. Some curling irons that have weak clamps won't be enough to keep the hair properly flat against the heat source so it just stays frizzy! I would suggest looking into a hair straightener or a new curling iron if that's the problem.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 11:11:33 AM »
Can you adjust the temperature on your iron? I used a hair straightener at first and wasn't really happy with the results, so I've switched to a similar curler like the one shown in the video and it works better for me, so I probably won't use the straightener any more. Both have heat control and I've noticed that the lowest setting on my iron (110°C) is ideal for straightening pony hair. If you go higher, the hair starts to melt, but at 110° it's perfectly safe, even if I keep it in position for a few secs. My curling iron has an argan oil & keratin infused barrel, this helps really nicely with moisturising the hair (along with conditioner, which I rinse before the treatment) instead of make it even more dry.

If you use an older model, it's perhaps possible that its maximum temperature isn't hot enough for the nylon hair to straighten, so that's something you could check.

On my first try, I wasn't able to remove the frizz at the ends, as the the clamp isn't strong enough to smooth out the hair when pulling it through, so the hair just gets heated in its frizzy state. You can then pull the hair straight right after removing the iron, while it's still hot. This certainly helps a little, but in my case the ends were still a bit frizzy. The improvement was certainly visible, but I still wasn't entirely happy with the result, as the ends still felt dry because of the slight frizz. So I figured out that I somehow need to smooth out the hair before it enters the hot iron. What I do now is I stick a fine-toothed comb in the hair before the treatment. If just the ends are frizzy I begin somewhere in the middle, and start treating the hair with the curling iron right in front of the comb. So when I move the iron through the hair towards the tips it will be smoothed by the comb before it enters the iron. It's a bit tricky and the comb falls off now and then, plus I've also burnt myself a couple of times when trying to hold the comb in place, but this technique works really well for me for removing the frizz from the ends and I've been satisfied with the results ever since.  :)

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 02:36:08 AM »
It was a curling iron. I only watched a couple of tutorials before doing it. Maybe It did nothing because her hair was dry.

It's probably because it was dry, then! Make sure it's sopping wet with plenty of conditioner in it :) You want a good sizzle on the iron.
Very small sections, and a quick swipe through with the iron. re-wet (I like to keep a glass of water+conditioner mix by my side while defrizzing) and repeat on the section as needed :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 11:19:25 PM »

It's probably because it was dry, then! Make sure it's sopping wet with plenty of conditioner in it :) You want a good sizzle on the iron.
Very small sections, and a quick swipe through with the iron. re-wet (I like to keep a glass of water+conditioner mix by my side while defrizzing) and repeat on the section as needed :)

This is fascinating, and so good to know! I've gotten some pretty-good results with a flat iron, but I only ever did it dry ... not sure why I thought it was unsafe to use wet hair! :blush:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 10:27:37 PM »
I use hair conditioner then comb out with just boiled water from the kettle. Then I wrap it around a curler, then wrap folded kitchen towel around that, then elastic bands, then leave to dry. I do this more Ikea as needed to smooth the hair. Last go with the hot water I style the hair e.g. larger curls or straight etc.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal